GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Puzzling shrub (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207422-puzzling-shrub.html)

Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] 13-06-2013 10:18 PM

Puzzling shrub

On 13/06/2013 22:59, wrote:
There is a large (10' high) shrub near me with round umbels of
fist-sized, round umbels of slightly asymmetric 5-petalled
whitish flowers c. 3/4" across. Its leavs are very like those
of a current or gooseberry (i.e. three pointed lobes, toothed
and light green, thin and not glossy). Any ideas?

I assume that you already know Viburnum opulus 'Roseum'.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Spider[_3_] 13-06-2013 10:39 PM

Puzzling shrub

On 13/06/2013 22:59, wrote:
There is a large (10' high) shrub near me with round umbels of
fist-sized, round umbels of slightly asymmetric 5-petalled
whitish flowers c. 3/4" across. Its leavs are very like those
of a current or gooseberry (i.e. three pointed lobes, toothed
and light green, thin and not glossy). Any ideas?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Viburnum onondaga? Mine's in flower now. Leaves a bit big for the
'currant' description, but they're roughly 3-lobed.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

[email protected] 13-06-2013 11:58 PM

Puzzling shrub

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 13/06/2013 22:59, wrote:
There is a large (10' high) shrub near me with round umbels of
fist-sized, round umbels of slightly asymmetric 5-petalled
whitish flowers c. 3/4" across. Its leavs are very like those
of a current or gooseberry (i.e. three pointed lobes, toothed
and light green, thin and not glossy). Any ideas?

I assume that you already know Viburnum opulus 'Roseum'.

I didn't, actually. It is probably a V. opulus, but not 'Roseum',
from the pictures. Thanks very much (and to Spider).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

kay 14-06-2013 10:12 AM

The wild V. opulus is of course the Guelder Rose - masses of translucent red fruit which hang on into the winter and, round here at least, are a favourite food for the waxwings.