GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Coir (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207434-coir.html)

David Hill 14-06-2013 06:36 PM

Coir

Mixed the first 2 bales so decided to get more, looking around on Google
came across Harrod Horticulture and had a shock
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/e...e-pid8109.html
More than £10 cheaper than Elixir
I wont even mention LBS price
David @ the again wet side of Swansea Bay

Jake 15-06-2013 10:58 AM

Coir

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013 18:36:36 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Mixed the first 2 bales so decided to get more, looking around on Google
came across Harrod Horticulture and had a shock
http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/e...e-pid8109.html
More than £10 cheaper than Elixir
I wont even mention LBS price
David @ the again wet side of Swansea Bay

You're mixing your sizes:

Harrod single brick = £3.95 makes 9 ltrs
Elixir single brick" = £3.18 makes 10 ltrs

Harrod single bale = £8.95 makes 70 ltrs
Elixir don't sell single bales. Cheapest is a 3 bale pack which works
out at £6.66 a bale.

Harrods offer a 5 brick pack for £15.75. Elixir offer a 5 brick pack
for £5.48.

Or did you mean to say that Elixir are cheaper than Harrod?

Granted Harrod have a standard £4.95 postage charge while Elixir's
varies. For very small quantities, Elixir's is cheaper. For medium
amounts, Harrod's is cheaper but for bulk, when Elixir becomes free
p&p, you'd still be paying Harrod's standard charge.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 15-06-2013 01:55 PM

Coir

I've lomng been a fan of coir for potting on rooted cuttings but I would
always add some slow release fetiliser. The plants put on huge root
systems, seems the coir is easy for the tiny roots to grow I guess..
Once plants are fairly large though i do then go onto JI 2 or 3 if they
are special.
--
Janet T.
Amersham

Spider[_3_] 15-06-2013 03:43 PM

Coir

On 15/06/2013 13:55, Janet Tweedy wrote:
I've lomng been a fan of coir for potting on rooted cuttings but I would
always add some slow release fetiliser. The plants put on huge root
systems, seems the coir is easy for the tiny roots to grow I guess..
Once plants are fairly large though i do then go onto JI 2 or 3 if they
are special.

That sounds like quite a recommendation, Janet! Do you buy in bricks or
bales, or by the bag? If/when you pot up to JI 2/3, do you blend with
coir to keep the heavier JI open and, perhaps, to acclimatise the plant
to its new conditions, or do you simply drop the coir plug into the
(unadulterated) JI compost?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 15-06-2013 04:13 PM

Coir

On 15/06/2013 15:43, Spider wrote:
That sounds like quite a recommendation, Janet! Do you buy in bricks or
bales, or by the bag? If/when you pot up to JI 2/3, do you blend with
coir to keep the heavier JI open and, perhaps, to acclimatise the plant
to its new conditions, or do you simply drop the coir plug into the
(unadulterated) JI compost?

I bought 5 bales at once but I did have a lot of stuff to pot up!! One
other way to pot on semi grown cuttings is to put JI/2 round outside but
a small plug of coir in middle for roots to get going and then find good
compost when they get larger. (IYSWIM)

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Spider[_3_] 15-06-2013 06:13 PM

Coir

On 15/06/2013 16:13, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 15/06/2013 15:43, Spider wrote:
That sounds like quite a recommendation, Janet! Do you buy in bricks or
bales, or by the bag? If/when you pot up to JI 2/3, do you blend with
coir to keep the heavier JI open and, perhaps, to acclimatise the plant
to its new conditions, or do you simply drop the coir plug into the
(unadulterated) JI compost?

I bought 5 bales at once but I did have a lot of stuff to pot up!! One
other way to pot on semi grown cuttings is to put JI/2 round outside but
a small plug of coir in middle for roots to get going and then find good
compost when they get larger. (IYSWIM)

I certainly SWYM. I think I may have to try some coir bales. I'll have
a look at prices and give it a go. Thanks, Janet.