GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Lonicera etrusca R.I.P. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207441-lonicera-etrusca-r-i-p.html)

[email protected] 15-06-2013 01:38 PM

Lonicera etrusca R.I.P.

I got some seed when on holiday in Crete, and have finally given
up on it (after about a decade!) It grows and is lovely in flower,
but I have got it to do that ONCE - every other year, aphids stop
the flowers and shoots developing. Perhaps I would have more if
I sprayed heavily with the nastiest sort of persistant insecticide,
but I don't want to do that. Merely spraying to eliminate the
worst of the aphids doesn't help.

Heaven alone knows why. L. x tellmanniana was as bad when it
didn't get significant sun, but it (and this) get a fair amount
of sun - and it is only L. etrusca that is hopeless.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

RustyHinge 16-06-2013 10:31 AM

Lonicera etrusca R.I.P.

On 15/06/13 13:38, wrote:
I got some seed when on holiday in Crete, and have finally given
up on it (after about a decade!) It grows and is lovely in flower,
but I have got it to do that ONCE - every other year, aphids stop
the flowers and shoots developing. Perhaps I would have more if
I sprayed heavily with the nastiest sort of persistant insecticide,
but I don't want to do that. Merely spraying to eliminate the
worst of the aphids doesn't help.

DDT?

D&RFC

Heaven alone knows why. L. x tellmanniana was as bad when it
didn't get significant sun, but it (and this) get a fair amount
of sun - and it is only L. etrusca that is hopeless.

I expect to be carted off by ECops for suggesting this, but boil some
rhubarb leaves, add a little washing-up liquid to the wort, and spray
with that.

--
Rusty Hinge

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 17-06-2013 11:04 PM

Lonicera etrusca R.I.P.

wrote in message ...

I got some seed when on holiday in Crete, and have finally given
up on it (after about a decade!) It grows and is lovely in flower,
but I have got it to do that ONCE - every other year, aphids stop
the flowers and shoots developing. Perhaps I would have more if
I sprayed heavily with the nastiest sort of persistant insecticide,
but I don't want to do that. Merely spraying to eliminate the
worst of the aphids doesn't help.

Heaven alone knows why. L. x tellmanniana was as bad when it
didn't get significant sun, but it (and this) get a fair amount
of sun - and it is only L. etrusca that is hopeless.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick, try the form etrusca superba, it is much stronger plant than the type,
most of the other forms of this are indeed hard work in the UK

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

[email protected] 18-06-2013 12:01 AM

Lonicera etrusca R.I.P.

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Nick, try the form etrusca superba, it is much stronger plant than the type,
most of the other forms of this are indeed hard work in the UK

Thanks. I will if I want another honeysuckle, but I like growing
things from holiday-collected seed! However, sometimes you have
to decide that things just aren't going to work.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

RustyHinge 22-06-2013 06:53 PM

Lonicera etrusca R.I.P.

On 18/06/13 00:01, wrote:
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Nick, try the form etrusca superba, it is much stronger plant than the type,
most of the other forms of this are indeed hard work in the UK

Thanks. I will if I want another honeysuckle, but I like growing
things from holiday-collected seed! However, sometimes you have
to decide that things just aren't going to work.

Do you want an evergreen honeysuckle?

Flowers most of the year with yellow, slightly smaller than the usual
flowers.

--
Rusty Hinge