GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Allium confusion (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207477-allium-confusion.html)

Chris J Dixon 18-06-2013 02:39 PM

Allium confusion

It is fast becoming apparent that last autumn's Gardeners' World
special offer alliums must have got their packet labeling wrong.

Where I had expected to see diminutive a. ostrowskianum, they are
already over 600 mm high. However, what should have been that
size - a. sphaerocephalon - are tiny plants. I'll have to leave
them now, and try to move them after flowering.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Sacha[_10_] 18-06-2013 02:53 PM

Allium confusion

On 2013-06-18 14:39:33 +0100, Chris J Dixon said:

It is fast becoming apparent that last autumn's Gardeners' World
special offer alliums must have got their packet labeling wrong.

Where I had expected to see diminutive a. ostrowskianum, they are
already over 600 mm high. However, what should have been that
size - a. sphaerocephalon - are tiny plants. I'll have to leave
them now, and try to move them after flowering.

Chris

Bummer! Obviously they don't know their onions!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Bob Hobden 18-06-2013 06:15 PM

Allium confusion

"Chris J Dixon" wrote ...

It is fast becoming apparent that last autumn's Gardeners' World
special offer alliums must have got their packet labeling wrong.

Where I had expected to see diminutive a. ostrowskianum, they are
already over 600 mm high. However, what should have been that
size - a. sphaerocephalon - are tiny plants. I'll have to leave
them now, and try to move them after flowering.

How thick are the stems? If thick they may be one of the large flowered
varieties in which case you have done well as they are always expensive.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Chris J Dixon 19-06-2013 07:43 AM

Allium confusion

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote ...

It is fast becoming apparent that last autumn's Gardeners' World
special offer alliums must have got their packet labeling wrong.

Where I had expected to see diminutive a. ostrowskianum, they are
already over 600 mm high. However, what should have been that
size - a. sphaerocephalon - are tiny plants. I'll have to leave
them now, and try to move them after flowering.

How thick are the stems? If thick they may be one of the large flowered
varieties in which case you have done well as they are always expensive.

I'd say not as thick as a pencil. Right now they are looking very
much like some sphaerocephalon that I planted the previous year.
I don't think that they are anything like gigantium, of which I
also have a couple.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK