GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   One of the Great Mysteries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207528-one-great-mysteries.html)

Sacha[_10_] 24-06-2013 06:46 PM

One of the Great Mysteries

Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all,
just after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

David Hill 24-06-2013 06:53 PM

One of the Great Mysteries

On 24/06/2013 18:46, Sacha wrote:
Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all, just
after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)

That's so that you can sit down with a drink and put your feet up

Gary Woods 24-06-2013 07:54 PM

One of the Great Mysteries

Sacha wrote:

Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all,
just after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)

For the same reason the smoke from a bonfire follows you.

'Mike'[_4_] 24-06-2013 08:09 PM

One of the Great Mysteries

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all,
just after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)
--

Sacha

Because it rained when it did here :-)

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/News-and...ary-of-bombing

David Hill 24-06-2013 08:17 PM

One of the Great Mysteries

On 24/06/2013 19:54, Gary Woods wrote:
Sacha wrote:

Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all,
just after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)

For the same reason the smoke from a bonfire follows you.

You're lucky it came out at all for you, here it's just blasted cold,
wearing a coat to plant out dahlias in the end I gave up, I was just to
cold,
The sun did shine for almost 5 mins when I was in here with a nice hot
cup of tea.

Sacha[_10_] 24-06-2013 11:28 PM

One of the Great Mysteries

On 2013-06-24 18:53:22 +0100, David Hill said:

On 24/06/2013 18:46, Sacha wrote:
Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all, just
after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)

That's so that you can sit down with a drink and put your feet up

I'll tell Ray that. Tomorrow! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

[email protected] 25-06-2013 12:01 AM

One of the Great Mysteries

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 18:46:06 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all,
just after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)

Possibly for the same reason that it is often sunny just after dawn
and you get your hopes raised that it is going to be a bright day.
The sun which has been peeping over the horizon and illuminating your
location from a low level then rises above the clouds and is obscured
for the day until it sinks low enough to shine below the clouds for a
short time before it sets.

G.Harman

Chris J Dixon 25-06-2013 07:41 AM

One of the Great Mysteries

wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 18:46:06 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all,
just after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)

Possibly for the same reason that it is often sunny just after dawn
and you get your hopes raised that it is going to be a bright day.
The sun which has been peeping over the horizon and illuminating your
location from a low level then rises above the clouds and is obscured
for the day until it sinks low enough to shine below the clouds for a
short time before it sets.

If we had a flat earth, that explanation would work. As it is,
that theory only seems to be valid if the clouds are above you,
but it is clear in the distance. The question then becomes - why
is that so.

If there is full cloud cover, light from the low sun, being at a
shallow angle, would actually have to make its way through the
clouds along a much longer path

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

echinosum 25-06-2013 08:54 AM

Clouds form because of rising moisture getting to a certain height and condensing. Reduce the evaporation, and the clouds stop forming. Thus clouds start to form as the day warms up, and stop forming, indeed disperse, as it cools down. Of course it is more complicated than that because of clouds blowing around and winds and parcels of warm air and cold air and depressions and anticyclones all that, but on a small scale when overriding factors don't apply, it can work in that simple manner.

Baz[_3_] 25-06-2013 10:56 AM

One of the Great Mysteries

Sacha wrote in :

Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all,
just after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)

Why does/do the adverts come on when a try is scored by Englands forwards?

Baz

No Name 25-06-2013 11:21 AM

One of the Great Mysteries

Martin wrote:
Will the red buttons be used for Wimbledon or Glastonbury this
weekend?

Both, afaik.

And if you don't want your viewing interrupted, you may get better service
watching the streamed version

stuart noble 25-06-2013 12:54 PM

One of the Great Mysteries

Flemish TV only showed local players. Luckily
one was playing Nadal.

Albeit a one-legged Nadal :-)

Bill Grey 26-06-2013 11:56 AM

One of the Great Mysteries

"Sacha" wrote in message
Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all, just
after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Reminds me of a coach trip to Hestercombe House (sp?), I spent the afternoon
taking photographs in dismal overcast weather. When we got back on the coach
and reached the M5, the sun came out (**$^...*....!!!)

Bill

Sacha[_10_] 26-06-2013 03:07 PM

One of the Great Mysteries

On 2013-06-26 11:56:06 +0100, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all,
just after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Reminds me of a coach trip to Hestercombe House (sp?), I spent the
afternoon taking photographs in dismal overcast weather. When we got
back on the coach and reached the M5, the sun came out (**$^...*....!!!)

Bill

I'm going to be interested to see what happens here today. It's been
very dark and overcast for much of the day. It's almost thundery but
not muggy enough, probably. But I won't be a bit surprised if the sky
clears at rosé time! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Sacha[_10_] 26-06-2013 06:08 PM

One of the Great Mysteries

On 2013-06-26 11:56:06 +0100, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Why does the sun *always* come out, if it's going to emerge at all,
just after we shut on a dreary, grey day?! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Reminds me of a coach trip to Hestercombe House (sp?), I spent the
afternoon taking photographs in dismal overcast weather. When we got
back on the coach and reached the M5, the sun came out (**$^...*....!!!)

Bill

I'm going to be interested to see what happens here today. It's been
very dark and overcast for much of the day. It's almost thundery but
not muggy enough, probably. But I won't be a bit surprised if the sky
clears at rosé time! ;-)

It's been cold,16C, and overcast all day except for a short time this
afternoon. This was supposed to have been our warm sunny day of the
week.

And...bingo! Sun's out here! Mind you, there's a load of cloud about
but this is the brightest spell we've had for most of the day.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com