GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Onions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207532-onions.html)

Christina Websell 24-06-2013 10:44 PM

Onions

I went down the village to my veggie plot today to plant my beans out and if
I didn't know that no-one can get in, I'd have said they'd been vandalised.
Almost all the leaves have been snapped off and are lying around but I guess
it was the huge winds we had yesterday, all day.
My question is, can they recover?

Tina

Baz[_3_] 25-06-2013 11:17 AM

Onions

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

I went down the village to my veggie plot today to plant my beans out
and if I didn't know that no-one can get in, I'd have said they'd been
vandalised. Almost all the leaves have been snapped off and are lying
around but I guess it was the huge winds we had yesterday, all day.
My question is, can they recover?

Tina

They will recover, but don't expect large onions this year.

Baz

Bob Hobden 25-06-2013 02:38 PM

Onions

"Christina Websell" wrote .

I went down the village to my veggie plot today to plant my beans out and
if I didn't know that no-one can get in, I'd have said they'd been
vandalised.
Almost all the leaves have been snapped off and are lying around but I
guess it was the huge winds we had yesterday, all day.
My question is, can they recover?

In all my years of having an allotment I've never seen the leaves of onions
snapped off by wind. By me being clumsy yes, but not wind. Are you sure you
haven't got some young foxes around, they do that sort of damage when they
play.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

David in Normandy[_8_] 25-06-2013 02:44 PM

Onions

On 24/06/2013 23:44, Christina Websell wrote:
I went down the village to my veggie plot today to plant my beans out and if
I didn't know that no-one can get in, I'd have said they'd been vandalised.
Almost all the leaves have been snapped off and are lying around but I guess
it was the huge winds we had yesterday, all day.
My question is, can they recover?

Tina

My onions have never blown over; however, my mange-tout peas are now
leaning somewhat after the wind, but they were around 5 feet tall and
the 4 feet pea-sticks were somewhat overwhelmed by them. My runner beans
are fine on their wigwams, but it would take a tornado to blow them over
at the moment as they are only half way up the poles... different matter
later in the season though when they make quite a solid wind-break - a
good storm can and has knocked them over in the past.

--
David in Normandy.

No Name 25-06-2013 03:22 PM

Onions

Bob Hobden wrote:
I went down the village to my veggie plot today to plant my beans out and
if I didn't know that no-one can get in, I'd have said they'd been
vandalised.
Almost all the leaves have been snapped off and are lying around but I
guess it was the huge winds we had yesterday, all day.
My question is, can they recover?

In all my years of having an allotment I've never seen the leaves of onions
snapped off by wind. By me being clumsy yes, but not wind. Are you sure you
haven't got some young foxes around, they do that sort of damage when they
play.

My first thought was foxes, too

Bob Hobden 25-06-2013 05:28 PM

Onions

"David in Normandy" wrote...

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

That is why I use metal scaffold poles, 4 along the length, to keep up the
top poles for our runner bean canes. Once they are grown and full of fruit
and then get wet they are so heavy that they will bend canes and a strong
wind will easily push them over.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Peter James[_5_] 26-06-2013 08:23 AM

Onions

Baz wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

I went down the village to my veggie plot today to plant my beans out
and if I didn't know that no-one can get in, I'd have said they'd been
vandalised. Almost all the leaves have been snapped off and are lying
around but I guess it was the huge winds we had yesterday, all day.
My question is, can they recover?

Tina

They will recover, but don't expect large onions this year.

Baz

My onions are pathetic this year. Small and undistiguished would
describe them perfectly I think.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see
that, if not actually disgruntled he was far from being gruntled.

Baz[_3_] 26-06-2013 02:44 PM

Onions

(Peter James) wrote in news:1l52ckm.11zxb0wea6msN%
:

Baz wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

I went down the village to my veggie plot today to plant my beans out
and if I didn't know that no-one can get in, I'd have said they'd been
vandalised. Almost all the leaves have been snapped off and are lying
around but I guess it was the huge winds we had yesterday, all day.
My question is, can they recover?

Tina

They will recover, but don't expect large onions this year.

Baz

My onions are pathetic this year. Small and undistiguished would
describe them perfectly I think.

Peter

I don't grow onions very often. I have this year because I have lots of
ground to cover. My onions are a bit sickly. Yellowing and droopy.
I do grow garlic and ours are average. Both autumn and spring sown seem so
average. I like to see a very dark green, bulbous stem now. Not this year
yet. More of a pencil like stem now. Time will tell.

Baz