Old 26-06-2013, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default No luck with apricot trees

I've tried twice to grow an apricot tree bought each time from a
reputable nursery. And each time they died within two or three years of
being planted with exactly the same symptoms, that is, they burst into
leaf in the spring but within a few weeks the leaves suddenly became
limp and the trees showed no further sign of life.

I planted the first tree about twenty years ago when we first bought
this cottage in Normandy. I put it near the end of a row of vines, in a
sunny position, and free-standing.

I planted the second tree in the same garden two or three years ago
against a south-west facing wall where it would benefit from the warmth.

Was something eating the roots? I don't think so as the roots didn't
show any sign of damage. Was it frost? Don't think so as nothing else
suffered. But why did they both grow away vigorously in the first flush
of spring only keel over (metaphorically speaking) just a few weeks
later?

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 26-06-2013, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:26:28 +0100, David Rance wrote:

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

David

My guess (and it is only a guess) would be peach-leaf curl.
Old 26-06-2013, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Derek Turner
writes

On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:26:28 +0100, David Rance wrote:

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

My guess (and it is only a guess) would be peach-leaf curl.

No, I've seen peach leaf curl and it doesn't look anything like that.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 26-06-2013, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek Turner" wrote
David Rance wrote:

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

My guess (and it is only a guess) would be peach-leaf curl.

But would that kill a tree straight away? Usually it takes some years to get
the better of the tree.

How about Honey Fungus? Any signs like orange pimples on the bark?

Our apricot tree lasted years and then it had two fruit on it, one each, the
next year we went on holiday and it got stuck by lightening. Cheaper to buy
the apricots. That said they grow them along the street in Aynho near
Banbury or they had to when the Squire owned all the houses. (He loved
apricots).
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-06-2013, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2013 16:26, David Rance wrote:
[...]

Graft failure.

--

Jeff

Old 26-06-2013, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Derek Turner" wrote

David Rance wrote:

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

My guess (and it is only a guess) would be peach-leaf curl.

How about Honey Fungus? Any signs like orange pimples on the bark?

No, the bark looks quite normal.

I've just had another look at the tree and notice that just one small
side shoot growing from above the graft is still alive. I don't hold out
much hope for it, though.

Our apricot tree lasted years and then it had two fruit on it, one
each, the next year we went on holiday and it got stuck by lightening.
Cheaper to buy the apricots.

I think you're right! A great pity as I love apricots.

Anyway, thanks to all who have responded, but I'm not sure I'm any
nearer discovering what the problem is.

David

--
David Rance writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France
Old 28-06-2013, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/13 17:52, Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 16:26:28 +0100, David Rance wrote:

If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful.

My guess (and it is only a guess) would be peach-leaf curl.

Not that.Three of mine have done the same, and they were about nine feet
high.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 28-06-2013, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/13 18:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Mine did the same, and they were grown from stones. I only have one left
now.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 29-06-2013, 10:38 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyHinge View Post

Mine did the same, and they were grown from stones. I only have one left
now.
I had a vaguely related Prunus mume which survived 3 years then did the same. I put it down to cold wet roots over winter. Could this be a possibility?
__________________
Old 29-06-2013, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/13 10:38, kay wrote:
RustyHinge;986344 Wrote:

Mine did the same, and they were grown from stones. I only have one left

now.

I had a vaguely related Prunus mume which survived 3 years then did the
same. I put it down to cold wet roots over winter. Could this be a
possibility?

Not with mine - the ground is adequately drained, and two of them
succumbed in the late spring.

--
Rusty Hinge

Cutting new leaves off deciduous trees -- prunus mume, Japanese flowering plum/apricot Just another old guy Bonsai 0 19-04-2009 09:55 PM
Diseased apricot trees - help needed Zootal[_3_] Gardening 2 23-07-2008 06:05 AM
Cicada wasps, apricot trees, cherry trees Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 5 27-08-2003 09:32 AM
Apricot Trees Jeff Piotrowski Lawns 2 07-08-2003 03:43 AM
My Bad Fish Luck Continues Guys. Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 10 04-02-2003 02:23 PM