Old 27-06-2013, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default best wormery

I have a wroggly wrigglers wormery, you know, 3 or 4 circular trays
stacked on top of each other but quite awkward to get to the bottom one
if decanting.

Like to buy another now our local council is moving over to tinsy little
food bins which will not hold much by way of cooked stuff or leftwovers etc.

Anyone got any views about other types of bins or of the argument that
Tiger worms are best?
kay what does Edward think?

janet
--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 27-06-2013, 08:40 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] View Post
I have a wroggly wrigglers wormery, you know, 3 or 4 circular trays
stacked on top of each other but quite awkward to get to the bottom one
if decanting.

Like to buy another now our local council is moving over to tinsy little
food bins which will not hold much by way of cooked stuff or leftwovers etc.

Anyone got any views about other types of bins or of the argument that
Tiger worms are best?
kay what does Edward think?
He says that he wouldn't spend money on worms. The ones from your compost heap are the same species, and will be better adapted to your individual garden conditions.

We've never had a wormery - any leftovers (we don't have many - mainly bones and fish skins) go on to the compost heap.
__________________
Old 28-06-2013, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
I have a wroggly wrigglers wormery, you know, 3 or 4 circular trays stacked
on top of each other but quite awkward to get to the bottom one if
decanting.

Like to buy another now our local council is moving over to tinsy little
food bins which will not hold much by way of cooked stuff or leftwovers
etc.

Anyone got any views about other types of bins or of the argument that
Tiger worms are best?
kay what does Edward think?

I bought mine at a fishing shop.
http://www.wormery.co.uk/why-tiger-worms.htm

mark

Old 28-06-2013, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/06/2013 10:34, mark wrote:
I bought mine at a fishing shop.
http://www.wormery.co.uk/why-tiger-worms.htm

mark

oh I could do that thanks!

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 28-06-2013, 09:49 PM
kay kay is offline

On 28/06/2013 10:34, mark wrote:
I bought mine at a fishing shop.
Wormery.co.uk

mark

oh I could do that thanks!
Yes, but why, when you could just scoop up a handful out of your compost heap?

If the conditions are right, they will breed rapidly; if not, they'll die, not matter how many you put in.

So why buy when you can get them for free?
__________________

Old 28-06-2013, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 00:24:36 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I have a wroggly wrigglers wormery, you know, 3 or 4 circular trays
stacked on top of each other but quite awkward to get to the bottom one
if decanting.

Like to buy another now our local council is moving over to tinsy little
food bins which will not hold much by way of cooked stuff or leftwovers etc.

Anyone got any views about other types of bins or of the argument that
Tiger worms are best?
kay what does Edward think?

janet

I have used dendra worms (which I think is another name for Tiger Worms) -
which I originally bought from a fishing tackle shop.

I think they are fantastic - breed like anything and eat at a great rate.

I have used a basic wormery (The Original) - and have been very happy with it -
although obviously you have to sort the different layers by hand. I just keep
adding stuff to the wormery and then sort out the worms from their "produce"
and the as yet uneaten "worm food" - once a year. Not a big job.

I have been truly gobsmacked at how the worms have reproduced and the number
that I now have.

The real Judith in England - not the silly imposter.

Old 29-06-2013, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 23:13:04 +0100, Judith in England
wrote:

snip

I have used dendra worms (which I think is another name for Tiger Worms) -
which I originally bought from a fishing tackle shop.

I think they are fantastic - breed like anything and eat at a great rate.

I have used a basic wormery (The Original) - and have been very happy with it -
although obviously you have to sort the different layers by hand. I just keep
adding stuff to the wormery and then sort out the worms from their "produce"
and the as yet uneaten "worm food" - once a year. Not a big job.

I have been truly gobsmacked at how the worms have reproduced and the number
that I now have.

The real Judith in England - not the silly imposter.

I would add that I have used a piece of old sheet as the first layer between
the worm juice sump and the rest of the wormery - it stops the worms from
dropping through and drowning

Old 29-06-2013, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

try wormcity. they use a mixture of worms. really easy to use and made in the uk
I got mine at Christmas it took a while to get going but
now got thousands worms over the for levels

Old 29-06-2013, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2013 09:36, Judith in England wrote:
I would add that I have used a piece of old sheet as the first layer between
the worm juice sump and the rest of the wormery - it stops the worms from
dropping through and drowning

oh good idea Judith mine seemed to drwon as if like Lemmings

--
Janet T.
Amersham

Composter/Wormery anthony james United Kingdom 0 26-01-2004 11:19 PM
Wormery from tyres? picti United Kingdom 1 10-05-2003 04:20 PM
how to make a wormery teapot United Kingdom 0 15-01-2003 08:30 PM
Wormery Pauline Jones United Kingdom 6 13-11-2002 11:09 PM
Any Wormery recs? Jaffacake United Kingdom 0 19-10-2002 07:59 PM