Old 28-06-2013, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Positioning a Magnolia stellata

I have never had the pleasure of growing any Magnolia before, but the
combination of an end-of-flowering season offer and a gift voucher has
given me the opportunity. Would someone who has experience of what
conditions Magnolias do/don't like please guide me before I plant it?

I have two places that are good from the point of view of seeing the
Magnolia in flower, also where they are not going to get in the way of
the mower too much. Neither will get early morning sun at the times of
year when frost is likely. One will get much more sun and light than
the other, but will also be affected more by the prevailing SW winds.
The wind is broken by trees and shrubs between 12 and 15 metres away.
The shade in the other position is mostly from deciduous shrubs and
Birch trees, so middling, not dappled or deep.

So, which is better, lots of light but slightly blowy, or sheltered
and a bit shady?

TIA, cotula

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay underlying soil worked for many decades.
Old 28-06-2013, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-28 11:02:42 +0100, cotula said:

[...]

We have two Magnolia stellata. One is growing in amongst a hedge and
under the shade of ash and beech trees. The other is growing on a
fairly open bank but is in dappled shade. Both flower well. Personally
I'd opt for the shady position, out of the wind which in our garden at
least, can wreak havoc on delicate blooms!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-06-2013, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/06/2013 11:37, Sacha wrote:
On 2013-06-28 11:02:42 +0100, cotula said:

[...]

Sorry to confuse the OP, but IMHO - if the soil conditions are right (ie
moist, well drained, but definitely not dry soil) - then a magnolia will
always do well in full sun. Unless there is a continuous gale, IME wind
does not make much difference to the flowers, which seem pretty robust.

--

Jeff
Old 28-06-2013, 09:32 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post

Sorry to confuse the OP, but IMHO - if the soil conditions are right (ie
moist, well drained, but definitely not dry soil) - then a magnolia will
always do well in full sun. Unless there is a continuous gale, IME wind
does not make much difference to the flowers, which seem pretty robust.
Mine is on the North side of the house, so gets no sun at all. (Even in summer, it is shaded by trees from the early morning and late evening sun from the NE and NW resp). It always gives a wonderful show of flower - I can't believe it could do any better in sun.
__________________
Old 29-06-2013, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 22:32:29 +0200, kay
wrote:

'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:
;986286']

Sorry to confuse the OP, but IMHO - if the soil conditions are right (ie

moist, well drained, but definitely not dry soil) - then a magnolia will

always do well in full sun. Unless there is a continuous gale, IME wind

does not make much difference to the flowers, which seem pretty robust.

Mine is on the North side of the house, so gets no sun at all. (Even in
summer, it is shaded by trees from the early morning and late evening
sun from the NE and NW resp). It always gives a wonderful show of flower
- I can't believe it could do any better in sun.

Thank you, everyone. I think I shall plant it in the shady area,
although for it's first season or two I will have to water it well.

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay.

magnolia stellata query bob[_1_] United Kingdom 7 20-04-2009 07:16 AM
drooping roses and magnolia stellata curiosity United Kingdom 0 29-06-2005 12:13 PM
Transplanting Magnolia Stellata Emrys Davies United Kingdom 3 03-02-2005 06:05 PM
House Positioning etc Wanda Australia 5 11-10-2003 02:12 AM
Magnolia stellata seed M K Rogerson United Kingdom 0 04-10-2003 07:22 PM