Old 30-06-2013, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Someone said recently to eat broad beans pod and all

On 2013-06-29 13:59:20 +0100, Baz said:

Jim S wrote in
:

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 11:58:01 +0100 (BST), wrote:

In article , Baz
wrote:

Broad beans are the only vegetable that I grow that don't get pests
and diseases. Other than blackfly of course if they are sown in
spring. I sow most of mine in autumn. I get the odd one or two with
blackfly so I nip the tops off instead of eating them. The rest are
fine.

Oh, yes, they do. I lost most of my crop one year to rust; there
are viruses that can affect them; and they fairly often get various
root and stem rots. Yes, those rarely do more than kill a few
plants and reduce the crop, but occasionally they can destroy one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Chocolate spot used to decimate mine in Devon.

Used to? Have you found a solution then?

Baz

Yes, he stopped being a Janner and became a Geordie! ;-)

I was always a Geordie, but out on loan.

Ah, we didn't convert you then! ;-) My great-grandmother was a Devon
maid who became a hinny. (I think that's right!)

Correct - pet
28 years in North Devon was obviously not long enough - but it does explain
the chocolate spot in the damp climate.
Oddly it's much drier up here, but I am on the East coast.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Old 30-06-2013, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-06-29 13:59:20 +0100, Baz said:

Jim S wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

Ah, that's quite nostalgic to be called 'pet' again! My grandfather
was born in South Shields but I have no more precise location than
that. As to wet Devon, I sometimes think it defines the "green and
pleasant land", or at least explains it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-06-2013, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Yes, he stopped being a Janner and became a Geordie! ;-)

I was always a Geordie, but out on loan.

Ah, we didn't convert you then! ;-) My great-grandmother was a Devon
maid who became a hinny. (I think that's right!)

Correct - pet
28 years in North Devon was obviously not long enough - but it does explain
the chocolate spot in the damp climate.
Oddly it's much drier up here, but I am on the East coast.

Ah, that's quite nostalgic to be called 'pet' again! My grandfather
was born in South Shields but I have no more precise location than
that. As to wet Devon, I sometimes think it defines the "green and
pleasant land", or at least explains it!

Yes, indeed, m' love!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.