GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT - something to do for an hour in Cambridge (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207644-ot-something-do-hour-cambridge.html)

David.WE.Roberts 02-07-2013 05:46 PM

OT - something to do for an hour in Cambridge

I'll be in the centre of Cambridge tomorrow, finished around 14:00 so
looking for something to do before catching the train back.

Botanic gardens?

Any other gardens open?

Anything else gardening related?

Or a good pub :-)

Cheers

Dave R

[email protected] 02-07-2013 05:56 PM

OT - something to do for an hour in Cambridge

On 2 Jul 2013 16:46:08 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

I'll be in the centre of Cambridge tomorrow, finished around 14:00 so
looking for something to do before catching the train back.

Botanic gardens?

Any other gardens open?

Anything else gardening related?

Or a good pub :-)

Cheers

Dave R

The Botanic Gardens are worth a look, there are catering facilities
though I have not tried them.

Within spitting distance of the gate are 'The Panton Arms' and 'The
Alma'. Both fit my standards and are within a few minutes walk of the
railway station.

If the weather is less clement, try the FitzWilliam Museum.

Regards
JonH

David.WE.Roberts 02-07-2013 07:54 PM

wrote:

I'll be in the centre of Cambridge tomorrow, finished around 14:00 so
looking for something to do before catching the train back.

Botanic gardens?

Any other gardens open?

Anything else gardening related?

Or a good pub :-)

Cheers

Dave R

The Botanic Gardens are worth a look, there are catering facilities
though I have not tried them.

Within spitting distance of the gate are 'The Panton Arms' and 'The
Alma'. Both fit my standards and are within a few minutes walk of the
railway station.

If the weather is less clement, try the FitzWilliam Museum.

Regards JonH

Thanks very much :-)

Cheers

Dave R

[email protected] 02-07-2013 10:16 PM

OT - something to do for an hour in Cambridge

wrote:

I'll be in the centre of Cambridge tomorrow, finished around 14:00 so
looking for something to do before catching the train back.

Botanic gardens?

Any other gardens open?

Anything else gardening related?

Or a good pub :-)

Cheers

Dave R

The Botanic Gardens are worth a look, there are catering facilities
though I have not tried them.

Within spitting distance of the gate are 'The Panton Arms' and 'The
Alma'. Both fit my standards and are within a few minutes walk of the
railway station.

If the weather is less clement, try the FitzWilliam Museum.

Regards JonH

Thanks very much :-)

Cheers

Dave R

De Nada.

Please do report back on your findings.

Regards
JonH

Janet 02-07-2013 10:35 PM

OT - something to do for an hour in Cambridge

In article , says...

I'll be in the centre of Cambridge tomorrow, finished around 14:00 so
looking for something to do before catching the train back.

Botanic gardens?

Yep

Janet

Sacha[_10_] 02-07-2013 10:53 PM

On 2013-07-02 17:46:08 +0100, David.WE.Roberts said:

I'll be in the centre of Cambridge tomorrow, finished around 14:00 so
looking for something to do before catching the train back.

Botanic gardens?

Any other gardens open?

Anything else gardening related?

Or a good pub :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Kings College Chapel. If you can get into that on a quiet day - sublime!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Martin Brown 03-07-2013 09:07 AM

On 02/07/2013 17:46, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
I'll be in the centre of Cambridge tomorrow, finished around 14:00 so
looking for something to do before catching the train back.

Botanic gardens?

Botanic gardens are well worth seeing (but may take longer) and so is
the Chronophage on Kings Parade (on a corner opposite Kings College).
(not garden releted as such) I also second the Fitz if wet.

Any other gardens open?

Anything else gardening related?

Or a good pub :-)

Plenty of those depending on the weather those on river bank are fun.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Baz[_3_] 03-07-2013 03:07 PM

OT - something to do for an hour in Cambridge

"David.WE.Roberts" wrote in news:b3geegFl4jdU5
@mid.individual.net:

I'll be in the centre of Cambridge tomorrow, finished around 14:00 so
looking for something to do before catching the train back.

Botanic gardens?

Any other gardens open?

Anything else gardening related?

Or a good pub :-)

Cheers

Dave R

The Cambridge Museum of Technology

http://tinyurl.com/nr77p5z

Next time maybe. Well worth a visit. I could spend a week there.
Baz

David.WE.Roberts 05-07-2013 02:41 PM

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 16:46:08 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I'll be in the centre of Cambridge tomorrow, finished around 14:00 so
looking for something to do before catching the train back.

Botanic gardens?

Any other gardens open?

Anything else gardening related?

Or a good pub :-)

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

In the end I wimped out and just caught the train home.

It was hot and muggy and Cambridge seemed a bit crowded and grubby.
I had forgotten how it was in the tourist season.

The walk between the station and the centre seemed to be full of small
eating places and A level colleges, neither of which appealed at the time.

Some day I will go punting on the river again, although even that seems a
lot more expensive than I remember.

Cheers

Dave R