Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Crazy

I took a stumble through the "Orchard today, found 1 very small apple,
and 1 plum tree that is in flower. (Stumble? Well it's full of long
grass and ant hills)
In the "Vineyard" all the flower trusses look to be about 2 weeks from
opening, loads of flower bud but unless we have a very warm October, Nov
and Dec I doubt I will see a grape.
Weigela 'Bristol Ruby is now flowering well.
What I want to know is
Is there any way of moving the calendar back about 8 weeks?
David @ a cool side of Swansea Bay
Old 04-07-2013, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/07/2013 22:54, David Hill wrote:
I took a stumble through the "Orchard today, found 1 very small apple,
and 1 plum tree that is in flower. (Stumble? Well it's full of long
grass and ant hills)
In the "Vineyard" all the flower trusses look to be about 2 weeks from
opening, loads of flower bud but unless we have a very warm October, Nov
and Dec I doubt I will see a grape.
Weigela 'Bristol Ruby is now flowering well.
What I want to know is
Is there any way of moving the calendar back about 8 weeks?

I don't know. My H petiolaris is finally in flower and over three weeks
later than its usual flowering date. I don't have any flowers at all on
courgettes or beans (there are some buds waiting for warm weather).
Peaony roses are in full bloom as is wild rose.

Fruit set on the trees doesn't look too bad (last year was awful) but it
will need to warm up a bit if they are to swell and ripen!

Weather forecast is for a heatwave this weekend but it is grey and
miserable here at the moment. Wasn't bad for an hour last night though.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 04-07-2013, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 David Hill wrote:

In the "Vineyard" all the flower trusses look to be about 2 weeks from
opening, loads of flower bud but unless we have a very warm October,
Nov and Dec I doubt I will see a grape.

My vines are in about the same state. Pity, because I have masses of
good flower trusses and it could have been a bumper harvest.

Still, all is not yet lost....

David

Old 04-07-2013, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2013 08:56, David Rance wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 David Hill wrote:

In the "Vineyard" all the flower trusses look to be about 2 weeks from
opening, loads of flower bud but unless we have a very warm October,
Nov and Dec I doubt I will see a grape.

My vines are in about the same state. Pity, because I have masses of
good flower trusses and it could have been a bumper harvest.

Still, all is not yet lost....

David

At least they wont get hit by frost.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2013 09:18, David Hill wrote:
On 04/07/2013 08:56, David Rance wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 David Hill wrote:

In the "Vineyard" all the flower trusses look to be about 2 weeks from
opening, loads of flower bud but unless we have a very warm October,
Nov and Dec I doubt I will see a grape.

My vines are in about the same state. Pity, because I have masses of
good flower trusses and it could have been a bumper harvest.

Still, all is not yet lost....

David

At least they wont get hit by frost.

Don't tempt fate! It snowed on my newly planted beans!!!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

What I want to know is
Is there any way of moving the calendar back about 8 weeks?

Just cross out the month name and write in the one of your choice :-)

Today must be April (at last): sunshine and showers.

Reminds me of school when our highly autocratic headmistress decreed
the five-day school week was just too short, and instigated the six day
timetable. Days no longer had names, just numbers. Monday was Day 1,
Tuesday was day 2, etc. Until the following week when Monday was Day 6,
Tuesday was Day 1.
Chaos reigned (and a new excuse for late homework).

Janet

Old 04-07-2013, 11:28 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post
Weather forecast is for a heatwave this weekend but it is grey and
miserable here at the moment. Wasn't bad for an hour last night though.
that's down south. On the radio this morning they were talking about 19 degrees in manchester. Welcome, bearing in mind what we've had, but hardly a heatwave!
__________________
Old 04-07-2013, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Martin Brown;986865 Wrote:

Weather forecast is for a heatwave this weekend but it is grey and
miserable here at the moment. Wasn't bad for an hour last night though.

that's down south. On the radio this morning they were talking about 19
degrees in manchester. Welcome, bearing in mind what we've had, but
hardly a heatwave!

Try the north of Scotland, remaining wet and very windy with
the maximum temperature around 14c. Courgettes just planted
out with first rough leaf. Lilac in full bloom now!

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 04-07-2013, 11:18 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Reminds me of school when our highly autocratic headmistress decreed
the five-day school week was just too short, and instigated the six day
timetable. Days no longer had names, just numbers. Monday was Day 1,
Tuesday was day 2, etc. Until the following week when Monday was Day 6,
Tuesday was Day 1.
Chaos reigned (and a new excuse for late homework).
I remember that! It wasn't my school, it was the school of a friend, or one of my children, or something, I'd forgotten all about it.

Portuguese confuses me - they have Saturday and Sunday, but all the other days are just called 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. I have to count them off on my fingers.
__________________
Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Janet;986877 Wrote:

Reminds me of school when our highly autocratic headmistress decreed

the five-day school week was just too short, and instigated the six day

timetable. Days no longer had names, just numbers. Monday was Day 1,
Tuesday was day 2, etc. Until the following week when Monday was Day 6,

Tuesday was Day 1.
Chaos reigned (and a new excuse for late homework).

I remember that! It wasn't my school, it was the school of a friend, or
one of my children, or something, I'd forgotten all about it.

Portuguese confuses me - they have Saturday and Sunday, but all the
other days are just called 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. I have to count
them off on my fingers.

Something similar happens in Arabic: The days are called 'First' to
'Seventh', missing out Friday (sixth) which is called something like 'day of
gathering'.
R.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
I took a stumble through the "Orchard today, found 1 very small apple, and
1 plum tree that is in flower. (Stumble? Well it's full of long grass and
ant hills)
In the "Vineyard" all the flower trusses look to be about 2 weeks from
opening, loads of flower bud but unless we have a very warm October, Nov
and Dec I doubt I will see a grape.
Weigela 'Bristol Ruby is now flowering well.
What I want to know is
Is there any way of moving the calendar back about 8 weeks?
David @ a cool side of Swansea Bay

Click on control panel ............................

Old 28-07-2013, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/07/13 22:54, David Hill wrote:
I took a stumble through the "Orchard today, found 1 very small apple,
and 1 plum tree that is in flower. (Stumble? Well it's full of long
grass and ant hills)
In the "Vineyard" all the flower trusses look to be about 2 weeks from
opening, loads of flower bud but unless we have a very warm October, Nov
and Dec I doubt I will see a grape.
Weigela 'Bristol Ruby is now flowering well.
What I want to know is
Is there any way of moving the calendar back about 8 weeks?
David @ a cool side of Swansea Bay

Hum. Ask Julian?

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 28-07-2013, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/13 08:56, David Rance wrote:
My vines are in about the same state. Pity, because I have masses of
good flower trusses and it could have been a bumper harvest.

Still, all is not yet lost....

I don't have any hopes for my (outdoor) Black Hamburg, but I expect
Boskoop's Glory to ripen, though even that will be late.

--
Rusty Hinge

Crazy Worms Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 16-06-2003 09:01 PM
Clematis drive me crazy Janice United Kingdom 13 16-06-2003 08:21 PM
I must be crazy. Anyone else? Allview Gardening 5 30-04-2003 04:32 PM
My crazy looking Java Fern - What to do? RifRaf Freshwater Aquaria Plants 11 20-04-2003 07:15 AM
Crazy Bird Doing Harm to Door Tom Engel Gardening 9 09-02-2003 09:01 AM