Old 04-07-2013, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT why?

Why do we call the time piece that we wear on our wrist a "Watch"?
Old 04-07-2013, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

Why do we call the time piece that we wear on our wrist a "Watch"?

Don't know, but just as mysterious. Where do socks go when one disappears? I
have lost a right sock. Where is it?

Mike

Old 04-07-2013, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2013 21:38, David Hill wrote:
Why do we call the time piece that we wear on our wrist a "Watch"?

http://etymonline.com/?term=watch

It is a bit vague, but it is the best I could find.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-04 21:38:38 +0100, David Hill said:

Why do we call the time piece that we wear on our wrist a "Watch"?

Dunno But the French call it a 'montre', which also means 'show'! ;-)
--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 04-07-2013, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2013 21:41, 'Mike' wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

Why do we call the time piece that we wear on our wrist a "Watch"?

Don't know, but just as mysterious. Where do socks go when one
disappears? I have lost a right sock. Where is it?

Mike

How do you know it's the right one?
Lo you have them labelled left and right?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

On 04/07/2013 21:41, 'Mike' wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

Why do we call the time piece that we wear on our wrist a "Watch"?

Don't know, but just as mysterious. Where do socks go when one
disappears? I have lost a right sock. Where is it?

Mike

How do you know it's the right one?
Lo you have them labelled left and right?

http://www.nauticalia.com/uk-info/cl...ocks/6337.html

Mike

Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/07/2013 22:20, 'Mike' wrote:

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

Where do socks go when one disappears? I have lost a right sock.
Where is it?

How do you know it's the right one?
Lo you have them labelled left and right?

http://www.nauticalia.com/uk-info/cl...ocks/6337.html

http://www.nauticalia.com/uk-info/gi...ocks/6505.html

To save you from having to recite there is no Red Port wine Left in
the bottle.

An Aussie acquaintance tells me of a commander of a fast patrol boat
who kept his left big toenail painted red.
--
Phil Cook
Old 04-07-2013, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Alan (BigAl) wrote:
On 04/07/2013 21:38, David Hill wrote:
Why do we call the time piece that we wear on our wrist a "Watch"?

http://etymonline.com/?term=watch

It is a bit vague, but it is the best I could find.

As far as I understand the OED, it was originally applied to the
alarm system of a timepiece (1440) and then became attached to
the timepiece as a whole.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Hill wrote:
Why do we call the time piece that we wear on our wrist a "Watch"?

Because you ... watch it?
Old 04-07-2013, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David Hill wrote:
Don't know, but just as mysterious. Where do socks go when one
disappears? I have lost a right sock. Where is it?

How do you know it's the right one?

Beacuse the one that is left is wrong.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/4/2013 5:16 PM, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 21:55:56 +0100, David Hill
How do you know it's the right one?
Lo you have them labelled left and right?

Left socks are red. Green socks are right ones..

That's how we realised our son was colour-blind...he thought they matched.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil Cook wrote:

To save you from having to recite there is no Red Port wine Left in
the bottle.

And for we river rats, "red right returning" (from or to the sea; I forget
which....so _that's_ how I ran aground!)

Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-04 23:08:48 +0100, Gary Woods said:

Phil Cook wrote:

To save you from having to recite there is no Red Port wine Left in
the bottle.

And for we river rats, "red right returning" (from or to the sea; I forget
which....so _that's_ how I ran aground!)

Your rules are different in USA, I think? I'm not at all sure about
this but I think that on leaving harbours in USA you leave green buoys
to port, which is not what we would do in UK and then you have Red
Right Returning, as you say. It's an awfully long time since I've
learned any of that and I've never sailed in USA so could be thoroughly
muddled. I hope not! The easiest way of remembering the left/right
thing is that Port and Left have the same number of letters.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-04 23:08:48 +0100, Gary Woods said:

Phil Cook wrote:

To save you from having to recite there is no Red Port wine Left in
the bottle.

And for we river rats, "red right returning" (from or to the sea; I forget
which....so _that's_ how I ran aground!)

Your rules are different in USA, I think? I'm not at all sure about
this but I think that on leaving harbours in USA you leave green buoys
to port, which is not what we would do in UK and then you have Red
Right Returning, as you say. It's an awfully long time since I've
learned any of that and I've never sailed in USA so could be thoroughly
muddled. I hope not! The easiest way of remembering the left/right
thing is that Port and Left have the same number of letters.

You are right.. The USA, Japan, NZ, Korea, Polynesia & Philippines
uses IALA B Buoyage. Europe and the rest of the world uses IALA A
Buoyage
In Europe travelling in the direction of the flood tide green buoys
are on the right hand side of a channel. In the Netherlands you are
expected to remember which way the flood tide flowed before they built
all those dams/dykes.

Red to red, green to green
Shut your eyes and pass between.
Art of Course Sailing

Oh good! At least I'm not sending Gary onto the rocks!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-07-2013, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in news:b3m9r9Fhii9U2
@mid.individual.net:

David Hill wrote:
Don't know, but just as mysterious. Where do socks go when one
disappears? I have lost a right sock. Where is it?

How do you know it's the right one?

Beacuse the one that is left is wrong.

He he, good answer. I like that.

Baz