GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spare plot - veg? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207665-spare-plot-veg.html)

Judith in England 05-07-2013 11:34 AM

Spare plot - veg?

I have a small raised bed from where I have just cleared out strawberry plants:
all strawberries were very small and deformed (bought new from B&Q as plants
earlier this year).

Any suggestions for vegetable crops to be sown in it now?

Baz[_3_] 05-07-2013 01:27 PM

Spare plot - veg?

Judith in England wrote in
:

I have a small raised bed from where I have just cleared out
strawberry plants: all strawberries were very small and deformed
(bought new from B&Q as plants earlier this year).

Any suggestions for vegetable crops to be sown in it now?

I think that you have been hasty. I am sure they would have produced nicely
next year. They do like to be properly rooted before producing quality. IMO
However, the deed is done.
I think it is too late to grow anything long term other than christmas new
potatoes. A few sown now would be ready for scrubbing as early as Sept and
well into Jan. 2014.
Letuce and radish? As a bit of a salad crop?
You can try spring cabbage. Everybody likes spring cabbage.

Good luck
Baz

David Hill 05-07-2013 01:40 PM

Spare plot - veg?

On 05/07/2013 11:34, Judith in England wrote:

I have a small raised bed from where I have just cleared out strawberry plants:
all strawberries were very small and deformed (bought new from B&Q as plants
earlier this year).

Any suggestions for vegetable crops to be sown in it now?

Lettuce, Salad onions, radish, spring cabbage (to use as greens) French
beans.
You could try a few early potatoes if you have any seed |(to give you
some New potatoes towards Xmas though you will have to protect them from
frost.

No Name 05-07-2013 02:21 PM

Spare plot - veg?

Judith in England wrote:
Any suggestions for vegetable crops to be sown in it now?

Lettuce, radish, beetroot, carrot?

Judith in England 05-07-2013 04:43 PM

Spare plot - veg?

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 12:27:09 GMT, Baz wrote:

Judith in England wrote in
:

I have a small raised bed from where I have just cleared out
strawberry plants: all strawberries were very small and deformed
(bought new from B&Q as plants earlier this year).

Any suggestions for vegetable crops to be sown in it now?

I think that you have been hasty. I am sure they would have produced nicely
next year. They do like to be properly rooted before producing quality. IMO
However, the deed is done.

Oh - bugger - I thought that there was something inherently wrong with the
plants - some of the fruit was really badly deformed

I think it is too late to grow anything long term other than christmas new
potatoes. A few sown now would be ready for scrubbing as early as Sept and
well into Jan. 2014.
Letuce and radish? As a bit of a salad crop?
You can try spring cabbage. Everybody likes spring cabbage.

Good ideas : thanks.

Judith in England 05-07-2013 04:44 PM

Spare plot - veg?

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 13:40:57 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 05/07/2013 11:34, Judith in England wrote:

I have a small raised bed from where I have just cleared out strawberry plants:
all strawberries were very small and deformed (bought new from B&Q as plants
earlier this year).

Any suggestions for vegetable crops to be sown in it now?

Lettuce, Salad onions, radish, spring cabbage (to use as greens) French
beans.
You could try a few early potatoes if you have any seed |(to give you
some New potatoes towards Xmas though you will have to protect them from
frost.

V Good: you and Baz are singing the same tune. I will try as you say.

Cheers

Judith in England 05-07-2013 04:45 PM

Spare plot - veg?

On 5 Jul 2013 13:21:33 GMT, wrote:

Judith in England wrote:
Any suggestions for vegetable crops to be sown in it now?

Lettuce, radish, beetroot, carrot?

Excellent : beetroot and carrot - added to the suggestions.

Cheers