Old 06-07-2013, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Vinegar as weed killer?

Interesting article on the possibilities. NB It doesn't reach the
roots.
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2013 10:30, Sacha wrote:
Interesting article on the possibilities. NB It doesn't reach the roots.
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html

Interesting idea but most of what is sold as Vinegar now is non brewed
condiment, not what Granny knew.
Also instead of dish washing soap a good squirt of washing up liquid
would do as well.
BUT remember we can't recommend anything that could be used as a weed
killer, insecticide etc under EU regulations.
The article is in fact from the USofA
David @ a rapidly warming side of Swansea Bay
Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-06 11:31:30 +0100, David Hill said:

On 06/07/2013 10:30, Sacha wrote:
Interesting article on the possibilities. NB It doesn't reach the roots.
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html

Interesting idea but most of what is sold as Vinegar now is non brewed
condiment, not what Granny knew.
Also instead of dish washing soap a good squirt of washing up liquid
would do as well.
BUT remember we can't recommend anything that could be used as a weed
killer, insecticide etc under EU regulations.
The article is in fact from the USofA
David @ a rapidly warming side of Swansea Bay

I wonder if it's still possible to find such vinegar. I first saw the
article when someone in Italy was asking if anyone knew if it could be
obtained there.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-07-2013, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-06 11:31:30 +0100, David Hill said:

On 06/07/2013 10:30, Sacha wrote:
Interesting article on the possibilities. NB It doesn't reach the
roots.
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html

Interesting idea but most of what is sold as Vinegar now is non brewed
condiment, not what Granny knew.
Also instead of dish washing soap a good squirt of washing up liquid
would do as well.
BUT remember we can't recommend anything that could be used as a weed
killer, insecticide etc under EU regulations.
The article is in fact from the USofA David @ a rapidly warming side of
Swansea Bay

I wonder if it's still possible to find such vinegar. I first saw the
article when someone in Italy was asking if anyone knew if it could be
obtained there.

We use standard 10% "white vinegar" (sold in France in supermarkets, but
as a cleaning product) to descale kettles etc. I imagine this would work
just as well, I'm not sure why the vinegar would have to be brewed unless
you're looking for a greener product. I know several people who make
vinegar, they usually dump wine bottle ends at the end of the night
(dregs and all) into the crock. But I don't think they'd be happy giving
it away as weed killer!

I wonder if vinegar spray would have a negative effect on woody stems?

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 06-07-2013, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have used vinegar to clear the weeds growing through the cracks in
my drive paving. While we are on condiments I've used salt as well. My
mother used a mix of salt, vinegar and a touch of Fairy liquid.

Steve

Old 06-07-2013, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2013 11:50, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 10:30:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Interesting article on the possibilities. NB It doesn't reach the
roots.
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html

Dutch local authorities are planning to use steam to kill weeds on
roads and pavements when glyphosate is banned in 2017. Glyphosate will
be banned because "it is bad for the environment". Critics point out
that boiling large quantities of water is also bad for the
environment.

Oh, well, we'll almost certainly have voted against continued membership
of the EU by then, so the ban won't affect us. ;-)

But, just in case, maybe I should put aside a small stock of glyphosate
concentrate. A few hundred litres should suffice...

--

Jeff
Old 06-07-2013, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote in news:kr92m0$8um$1
@news.albasani.net:

On 06/07/2013 11:50, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 10:30:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Interesting article on the possibilities. NB It doesn't reach the
roots.
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html

Dutch local authorities are planning to use steam to kill weeds on
roads and pavements when glyphosate is banned in 2017. Glyphosate will
be banned because "it is bad for the environment". Critics point out
that boiling large quantities of water is also bad for the
environment.

Oh, well, we'll almost certainly have voted against continued membership
of the EU by then, so the ban won't affect us. ;-)

Don't count on it. There are lots and lots of UK citizens, non native, who
will, understandably shout a bit. And the Border Agency will be recruiting.
BIGtime. So will the marriage sites. One last dash.

But, just in case, maybe I should put aside a small stock of glyphosate
concentrate. A few hundred litres should suffice...

For some of us a few litres, surely?

Baz
Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2013 10:30, Sacha wrote:
Interesting article on the possibilities. NB It doesn't reach the roots.
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html

It is drooling idiot kitchen sink chemistry. Most of what is sold as
vinegar these days is "non brewed condiment" which is a polite way of
saying something that came out of an industrial scale chemistry set.

It is far more environmentally sound to use glyphosate than to prat
around mixing up potentially lethal concoctions. This one has the merit
of being fairly harmless as long as you don't have access to strong
concentrations of acetic acid. It won't work very well though.

Fear of "chemicals" causes people to do some really stupid things.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2013 22:31, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 13:30:55 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 06/07/2013 11:50, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 6 Jul 2013 10:30:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Interesting article on the possibilities. NB It doesn't reach the
roots.
http://www.garden-counselor-lawn-car...ed-killer.html

Dutch local authorities are planning to use steam to kill weeds on
roads and pavements when glyphosate is banned in 2017. Glyphosate will
be banned because "it is bad for the environment". Critics point out
that boiling large quantities of water is also bad for the
environment.

Oh, well, we'll almost certainly have voted against continued membership
of the EU by then, so the ban won't affect us. ;-)

It's a Dutch ban not an EU ban as far as I know.

That was the really for the smiley. But AFAICT it's not really even a
Dutch ban:
(http://www.earthopensource.org/index...ource-report):
"Update 18 December 2012: Grashoff's proposal has been watered down and
has been made part of the Dutch national pesticide action plan which
says they want to stop local communities from using it on pavements and
streets by 2018. But the proposed ban on sales to non-professional users
was dropped."

But, just in case, maybe I should put aside a small stock of glyphosate
concentrate. A few hundred litres should suffice...

Better put your life savings some where safe too :-)

Know any good pyramid schemes?... :-)

--

Jeff