Old 13-07-2013, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default water worries

wrote in :

In article , Baz
wrote:

Yes, and so are we! Athletes foot is just one annoyance. There are
many others, dare I say Hep...

Athlete's foot is a disease entirely caused by wearing shoes :-)

Is it? Goodness me! Between you and Janet I will never know who is
the biggest bullshitter.

Yes, it is, and the simplest and most effective treatment is simply
to go barefoot or wear sandals for a bit.

You should learn to ignore your prejudices when considering
unexpected statements.

Look here, please.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Athlete...es/Causes.aspx

So? Medics are notorious for following dogma, rather than science.
Someone else on this group tracked down a real scientific paper,
and found that the fungi are NOT natural parasites - they are
soil-living saprophytes, and their spores are ubiquitous (like
those of moulds). They will become ectoparasites only if given
the right conditions.

You will also see in the third paragraph that they only become
parasitic in moist, warm conditions. And the way that PEOPLE
provide such conditions is by wearing shoes - though an advanced
comment is that they also occur in the humid tropics, which is
why skin conditions are so common and serious there.

In the UK, however, it is only persistent and excessive shoe-wearers
that have trouble with athlete's foot. Those of us who keep our
feet well-ventilated don't. It's as simple as that.

And note, that like all risk-taking, not EVERY shoe-wearer will
have trouble.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ah! Dogma.....
When I see that I stop reading. It's a cop out.

Baz
Old 13-07-2013, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 10:18:53 +0100 (BST), wrote:

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe and
baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or so and,
if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of something
nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?

Er, Louis Pasteur fairly conclusively disproved the theory of
spontaneous generation! If your water already contains such
diseases, you have more serious problems; if it doesn't, they
won't appear by magic.

If the end of the hose is open when not used and there is some water
left in the hose there doesn't need to be spontaneous generation. The
same situation exists in showers.

The very worst that could happen is that something could create
enough toxins to be serious, when it isn't normally, but the
chances of that are infinitesimal.

A fountain in a Dutch spring flower show caused an out break of
legionnaires disease in Nord Holland.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

I think that was a fogging unit using recycling water, something now banned
at flower shows.

Stuart, is this mains water? or water butt/grey water? I am surprised if its
getting smelly after just a couple of days.

Problems occur only when water droplets sit around like in aircon condenser
units and larger shower facilities where there is a dead leg in the plumbing

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 13-07-2013, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If it is mains water that is sitting in your hose being heated by the sun
then
the plants will say thank you for using warmed water for irrigation. If it
is collected rain water
that has been sitting round in a butt or other storage facility for a few
weeks then
they will thank you even more.

Pete - Nanneys Bridge Nursery

Old 13-07-2013, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
Yebbut, when you switch off the shower a bit of warm water sits
between the heater and the showerhead, festering evilly, seething with
germans.

Eek!

To be safe from inhaling the toxic slime droplets you should
always wear a plastic bag over your head.

.... tied tightly under the chin just to be sure?
Old 13-07-2013, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pete wrote:
If it is mains water that is sitting in your hose being heated by the sun
then
the plants will say thank you for using warmed water for irrigation. If it
is collected rain water
that has been sitting round in a butt or other storage facility for a few
weeks then
they will thank you even more.

My plants never say thank-you. :-(

Old 14-07-2013, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz wrote:
Janet wrote in news:MPG.2c4b79d98f27742f989831
:

Yebbut, when you switch off the shower a bit of warm water sits
between the heater and the showerhead, festering evilly, seething with
germans.To be safe from inhaling the toxic slime droplets you should
always wear a plastic bag over your head.

You say this, about Germans.

I think you are a bit of a racist.These are your words, no mistake, I cut
and pasted this.

I think that you are a bit of an idiot. And, perhaps, a bit of a troll.

If you didn't recognise that schoolchild pun/term, you should have
realised that whole paragraph was tongue-in-cheek.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-07-2013, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-14 13:14:01 +0100, Baz said:

Janet wrote in news:MPG.2c4b79d98f27742f989831
@news.individual.net:

In article ,
says...

On 13/07/2013 10:27,
wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
You are reducing a risk that is already
negligible by comparison with many others you take.

Every little helps :-)

Penny wise, pound foolish? :-)

It's the "mist" element that bothers me. I can bathe my feet in the
local stream but I'd be reluctant to inhale it in fine droplet

form.

I take it that you always bathe rather than shower? Seriously,
that's where the real risk is, such as it is.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Actually I shower, but the water is never atomised finely enough to
inhale, and it does come straight from the mains

Yebbut, when you switch off the shower a bit of warm water sits
between the heater and the showerhead, festering evilly, seething with
germans.To be safe from inhaling the toxic slime droplets you should
always wear a plastic bag over your head.

Janet.

You say this, about Germans.

I think you are a bit of a racist.These are your words, no mistake, I cut
and pasted this.

festering evilly, seething with germans.To be safe from inhaling the
toxic slime droplets. always wear a plastic bag over your head.

Evil. The only word for you.

Baz

I think you'll find it's a pun on the word 'germs'.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 14-07-2013, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2013-07-14 13:14:01 +0100, Baz said:

Janet wrote in news:MPG.2c4b79d98f27742f989831
@news.individual.net:

In article ,
says...

On 13/07/2013 10:27,
wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
You are reducing a risk that is already
negligible by comparison with many others you take.

Every little helps :-)

Penny wise, pound foolish? :-)

It's the "mist" element that bothers me. I can bathe my feet in
the local stream but I'd be reluctant to inhale it in fine
droplet

form.

I take it that you always bathe rather than shower? Seriously,
that's where the real risk is, such as it is.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Actually I shower, but the water is never atomised finely enough to
inhale, and it does come straight from the mains

Yebbut, when you switch off the shower a bit of warm water sits
between the heater and the showerhead, festering evilly, seething
with germans.To be safe from inhaling the toxic slime droplets you
should always wear a plastic bag over your head.

Janet.

You say this, about Germans.

I think you are a bit of a racist.These are your words, no mistake, I
cut and pasted this.

festering evilly, seething with germans.To be safe from inhaling the
toxic slime droplets. always wear a plastic bag over your head.

Evil. The only word for you.

Baz

I think you'll find it's a pun on the word 'germs'.

A pun or an anagram? A pun is funny? Racism is funny?
All the letters of seething with germans are there.
See it.
Probably not..

Baz
Old 15-07-2013, 04:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe and
baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or so and,
if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of something nasty
being inhaled. Legionnaires?

So how about flushing some diluted bleach through the hose or something else
that kills all known germs?
It's not something I've ever worried about.

rhodie worries Andrzej Gardening 8 28-04-2012 12:18 PM
Climate change? No worries... Jonno[_22_] Australia 0 14-01-2010 08:16 PM
my Myer lemon worries me andr0meda Australia 0 28-08-2004 10:01 AM
Woodpecker Worries Geo Lawns 2 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
Woodpecker Worries Geo Lawns 2 30-11-2002 01:56 PM