Old 12-07-2013, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default water worries

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe and
baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or so and,
if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of something
nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?
Old 12-07-2013, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe and
baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or so and,
if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of something
nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?

Er, Louis Pasteur fairly conclusively disproved the theory of
spontaneous generation! If your water already contains such
diseases, you have more serious problems; if it doesn't, they
won't appear by magic.

The very worst that could happen is that something could create
enough toxins to be serious, when it isn't normally, but the
chances of that are infinitesimal.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
news
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:59:47 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe and
baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or so and,
if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of something
nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?

The Dutch are worried about water left in public showers.

Yes, and so are we! Athletes foot is just one annoyance. There are many
others, dare I say Hep...

Baz
Old 12-07-2013, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

wrote:

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe
and baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or
so and, if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of
something nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?

The Dutch are worried about water left in public showers.

Yes, and so are we! Athletes foot is just one annoyance. There are
many others, dare I say Hep...

They find legionnaires disease in the shower water fairly often.

Now THAT disease is worrying. How do they let it happen?

Baz
Old 12-07-2013, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:45:48 GMT, Baz wrote:

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe and
baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or so and,
if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of something
nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?

The Dutch are worried about water left in public showers.

Yes, and so are we! Athletes foot is just one annoyance. There are many
others, dare I say Hep...

They find legionnaires disease in the shower water fairly often.

Well, yes, they would - it is incredibly widespread. The point
about domestic use is that, if the conditions are right for it to
reproduce in a hosepipe, they almost certainly are in the house's
water tanks and pipes.

It is also killed by quite low temperatures, so is unlikely to
survive if a hosepipe gets hot in the sun - but, in the UK, that
will be rare. So, there IS a risk, but a low risk compared to
that posed by showers and other water use in the house.

Also, it's rarely a threat to healthy individuals, like so many
of the things that the tabloid press make such a fuss about (e.g.
ordinary salmonella).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe and
baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or so and,
if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of something
nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?

The Dutch are worried about water left in public showers.

Yes, and so are we! Athletes foot is just one annoyance. There are many
others, dare I say Hep...

Athlete's foot is a disease entirely caused by wearing shoes :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 10:27:39 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

wrote:

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe
and baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or
so and, if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of
something nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?

The Dutch are worried about water left in public showers.

Yes, and so are we! Athletes foot is just one annoyance. There are
many others, dare I say Hep...

They find legionnaires disease in the shower water fairly often.

Now THAT disease is worrying. How do they let it happen?

Baz

Essentially it's a fact of life (also tends to occur in
air-conditioning systems).

Showers used regularly are ok. Where I used to work there were a
couple of showers intended to let someone who was going to some
evening do clean up - these were rarely used but once a week, the
facilities people ran the showers hot for 15 minutes to keep them
flushed out. That was the advice they had from health people.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 12-07-2013, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz wrote:

Yes, and so are we! Athletes foot is just one annoyance. There are
many others, dare I say Hep...

Athlete's foot is a disease entirely caused by wearing shoes :-)

Is it? Goodness me! Between you and Janet I will never know who is the
biggest bullshitter.

Yes, it is, and the simplest and most effective treatment is simply
to go barefoot or wear sandals for a bit.

You should learn to ignore your prejudices when considering unexpected
statements.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe and
baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or so and,
if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of something
nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?

Just let it run for the first few minutes on full flow, even remove
the spray head altogether, so that no spray or mist is produced.

I already do that in warm weather. The smell suggests that something
isn't right with that first batch of water so I'm not taking any
chances. Martin's comments suggest that's a wise course of action
Old 12-07-2013, 09:00 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post

Athlete's foot is a disease entirely caused by wearing shoes :-)
[/color]

Is it? Goodness me! Between you and Janet I will never know who is the
biggest bullshitter.
Athlete's foot, like many human fungal disease, likes a warm damp environment. It's very difficult to maintain a warm damp environment between your toes if you habitually go barefoot.
__________________
Old 12-07-2013, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe and
baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or so and,
if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of something
nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?

Just let it run for the first few minutes on full flow, even remove
the spray head altogether, so that no spray or mist is produced.

Ahh, tricky if you follow the water companies regs and use a 'stop'
connector.
--
Pete C

Old 12-07-2013, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
On 12/07/2013 11:26, Chris Hogg wrote:

Anyone else concerned about water that has been left in a hosepipe and
baked by the sun? Mine has a nasty smell for the first minute or so and,
if the hose is set to mist, I wonder if there's a risk of something
nasty being inhaled. Legionnaires?

Just let it run for the first few minutes on full flow, even remove
the spray head altogether, so that no spray or mist is produced.

I already do that in warm weather. The smell suggests that something
isn't right with that first batch of water so I'm not taking any
chances. Martin's comments suggest that's a wise course of action

Whether it is wise is unclear, but at least it's not actually in
the tinfoil hat area. You are reducing a risk that is already
negligible by comparison with many others you take.

This does NOT apply to people with poor immune systems or otherwise
at risk, who are well advised to be cautious.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

rhodie worries Andrzej Gardening 8 28-04-2012 12:18 PM
Climate change? No worries... Jonno[_22_] Australia 0 14-01-2010 08:16 PM
my Myer lemon worries me andr0meda Australia 0 28-08-2004 10:01 AM
Woodpecker Worries Geo Lawns 2 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
Woodpecker Worries Geo Lawns 2 30-11-2002 01:56 PM