GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cardiocrinum giganteum (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207737-cardiocrinum-giganteum.html)

Rod[_5_] 12-07-2013 04:31 PM

Cardiocrinum giganteum

As advertised, here's my Cardiocrinum flowering for the first time in this garden.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sylvan4...7634610929766/

It's called giant but it's really only the height - the flowers themselves are smaller than something like a good regal lily.
No need to say I'm chuffed to bits.

Rod

Janet 12-07-2013 05:21 PM

Cardiocrinum giganteum

In article ,
says...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sylvan4...7634610929766/

Well done! Did you grow them from seed?

Janet

Rod[_5_] 12-07-2013 06:00 PM

Cardiocrinum giganteum

On Friday, July 12, 2013 5:21:22 PM UTC+1, Janet wrote:
In article ,

says...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sylvan4...7634610929766/

Well done! Did you grow them from seed?

Janet

Yes, Janet. Seeds from Chiltern seeds ??years ago so I don't know anything about the provenance of the seeds. We had a couple of the seedlings flower at work soon after I retired and I captured the pot with these 2 bulbs in soon afterwards and they've been in their present position for about 3 years.. There are a few small offsets/bulblets around them and I hope to get some seeds from these flowers before the bulbs die.
So there's probably going to be a gap of a few years before I get any flowering again.

Rod

No Name 12-07-2013 07:00 PM

Cardiocrinum giganteum

Rod wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sylvan4...7634610929766/

Cool! I can't decide if they're lovely or rather scary! They have
triffid written all over them.
(maybe a bit of both)