Old 14-07-2013, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Miniaturized nut tree - dried out but not dead... Help!

Hello. 4 years ago I planted a couple of cobnuts from a nut tree that my
late father planted when I was a kid (the seed of which came from a tree
*his* father had planted decades earlier). I put one of the seedlings in a
bed in my garden and kep another in a small flowerpot, with the intention
being to "bonsai" it.

All was going well until I went away to Glastonbury for a week and 'er
indoors didn't bother watering it. I returned and was sad to see that my
previously lush little nut tree looked thoroughly dead. All leaves were
dried out and curled up.

I've stood the tree in its pot in a bucket of water, and it's been lustily
slurping away for the last week or more. I'm pleased to say that it must
still be alive as, even though *all* of its leaves have fallen off, a new
one has just sprouted out of the end of a branch in the last couple of
days.

My question is, is there anything else I can/should do to help it
recuperate? It is in a flowerpot with a 6 inch diameter and about 7
inchese tall. The tree is about 7 inches tall, with a couple of thick
(comparitively speaking!) branches and several spindly ones. I last
changed the soil last spring (2012).

I am not a gardener in any way, shape or form, so would appreciate any
advice. I would be quite sad to lose it, the "bonsai" project was coming
along really well, and working a treat as its sibling growing free is
about 10x bigger!

--
-------------------
Stephen Thomas Cole
Old 14-07-2013, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/07/2013 15:53, Stephen Thomas Cole wrote:
[...]

I hope it's not still in the water, water it frequently in this weather
and stand it somewhere shaded.
Old 14-07-2013, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:

I presume we're talking about the one in the pot. Don't leave it in
the water; take it out and let it drain, or the roots will rot.

Balls... OK, just taken it out. It's been in there for a week or more...
Should dry out quickly in the heat we've got here (Kent) today.

Just
keep it outside in a shady spot out of direct sun, keep an eye on it
from now on to see it doesn't get dry but don't over-water it (once a
week should be enough), and keep your fingers crossed.

Will do.

I don't know anything about bonsai, but that pot sounds a bit deep. A
shallow dish is what's usually used IIRC.

I wasn't doing a proper bonsai job, I don't know anything about it either.
Just going on the general principle that keeping it in a pot will stunt
its growth. And that's certainly worked so far, I just hope I can bring it
back to health. If I can, I may well move it to a smaller pot. Is there an
optimum time of the year to do that? I'm guessing next spring, but, as I
said, I'm no gardener...

--
-------------------
Old 14-07-2013, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , David Hill
wrote:

I hope it's not still in the water, water it frequently in this weather
and stand it somewhere shaded.

Yup, it was. Just taken out and put in the shade... my bad! I thought that
giving it plenty to drink in this heat we've been having would be a good
idea...

--
-------------------
Old 15-07-2013, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 16:41:57 +0100, lid
(Stephen Thomas Cole) wrote:

If I can, I may well move it to a smaller pot. Is there an
optimum time of the year to do that? I'm guessing next spring, but, as I
said, I'm no gardener...

As it's a hazel (cobs are a selected variety of hazel), it's deciduous
and will go dormant over the winter if left outside, after it's
dropped its leaves.
See
http://www.british-trees.com/treegui...nsys0000003839
You should be able to re-pot it any time after that, before it comes
back to life again in the spring.

Excellent, thanks very much for that Chris. Do you have any advice about
what I might do in the meantime to nurse her back to health?

--
Stephen Thomas Cole
Remove the obvious to send e-mail:

Watering Large dried out pots... JennyC United Kingdom 11 01-07-2005 12:40 AM
Tree dead or not dead ??? rsc Gardening 6 25-05-2004 01:07 PM
Dried out Acer Simon United Kingdom 5 05-09-2003 02:42 PM
Dried out Bonsai Babboo Bonsai 1 13-03-2003 04:20 AM
[IBC] Dried out Bonsai Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 13-03-2003 03:32 AM