Old 15-07-2013, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ladybirds

Did I read somewhere recently that there aren't many ladybirds around
this year?

There certainly are now!

.....and damsel flies.

David

Old 15-07-2013, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-15 15:42:01 +0100, David Rance said:

Did I read somewhere recently that there aren't many ladybirds around
this year?

There certainly are now!

....and damsel flies.

David

Still no ladybirds but quite a few of the common blue damsel flies.
We're awaiting the arrival of something classier! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 15-07-2013, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-15 15:42:01 +0100, David Rance said:

Did I read somewhere recently that there aren't many ladybirds around
this year?

There certainly are now!

....and damsel flies.

David

Still no ladybirds but quite a few of the common blue damsel flies.
We're awaiting the arrival of something classier! ;-)

I've seen one ladybird so far this year (and have been looking a lot).
Perhaps the corresponding absence of green/white-fly may explain that
and they've gone elsewhere for lunch. OTOH, inundated with damsel
flies which are getting so crowded that they'll try to lay in anything
that has a bit of water in it (including the cat's water bowl - while
the cat's drinking from it - and a glass of water I'd put down for a
minute).

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 15-07-2013, 10:38 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Pests in general seem to be remarkably thin on the ground. Everything's looking really healthy.

Bumblebees around at last, but still some queens, which is late for them to be flying. Hoverflies haven't really arrived yet. Far fewer butterflies than one would expect in this weather, though we did have a ringlet in the garden today -that's a first. Lots of red damsel flies and a scattering of blue.
__________________
Old 15-07-2013, 11:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jake wrote:
I've seen one ladybird so far this year (and have been looking a lot).

I haven't seen any fully grown ladybird for a while, but I think I've
seen a few larvae

Old 16-07-2013, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

-
-

.

Pests in general seem to be remarkably thin on the ground. Everything's
looking really healthy.

Bumblebees around at last, but still some queens, which is late for them
to be flying. Hoverflies haven't really arrived yet. Far fewer
butterflies than one would expect in this weather, though we did have a
ringlet in the garden today -that's a first. Lots of red damsel flies
and a scattering of blue.

We've got lots of bumblebees and a few hoverflies, aphids are
remarkably low in number but I suppose the cold spring has something to
do with that. We're still feeding the birds as insect life isn't too
prolific. But the rooks and jackdaws have gone off on their holidays
and won't be back for a few weeks, I expect.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-07-2013, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

We've got lots of bumblebees and a few hoverflies, aphids are
remarkably low in number but I suppose the cold spring has something to
do with that. We're still feeding the birds as insect life isn't too
prolific. But the rooks and jackdaws have gone off on their holidays
and won't be back for a few weeks, I expect.

Yup - I have also noticed the sudden absence of those black pests !

Wonder where they go to ?

Pete
Old 16-07-2013, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-16 10:46:02 +0000, Pete said:

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

We've got lots of bumblebees and a few hoverflies, aphids are
remarkably low in number but I suppose the cold spring has something to
do with that. We're still feeding the birds as insect life isn't too
prolific. But the rooks and jackdaws have gone off on their holidays
and won't be back for a few weeks, I expect.

Yup - I have also noticed the sudden absence of those black pests !

Wonder where they go to ?

Pete

We see them on harvested fields sometimes, presumably picking up
beetles etc. Ray thinks they go up onto the moor for the same reason.
I always panic they won't return and then a day comes when there is a
riotous amount of noise and they all swoop in again, fighting for their
favourite spot in the cedar tree.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-07-2013, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-16 13:52:33 +0100, Indigo said:

"David Hill" wrote
On 15/07/2013 23:37, wrote:
Jake wrote:
I've seen one ladybird so far this year (and have been looking a
lot).

I haven't seen any fully grown ladybird for a while, but I think I've
seen a few larvae

More lady birds around here than I have seen for several years,
started in April.
David @ a cool side of Swansea Bay

Only seen one solitary ladybird so far. Perhaps it's too hot for them
across here in the east; they must all be holidaying over on your side
of the country. There does seem to be fewer red peril lily beetles this year
too, which is one good thing.

By contrast we've had loads of bumble bees of all sizes and I was
pleased to see we've had hordes of honey bees again visiting the
variegated euonymus that grows up the south facing back wall of our
garage. The flowers are only tiny but you soon know when they're
blossoming because of the loud buzzing as you walk past. The bees have
also now spread attentions to a tall Cotoneaster lacteus further down the
garden that's begun to flower on its sunnier side.

They also love Eucryphia and butterflies go crazy for Eupatorium
atropurpureum, so planting both those is well worth it. Last year you
couldn't go near our Eucryphia. It was like a flowering beehive!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 16-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
On 2013-07-15 15:42:01 +0100, David Rance said:

Did I read somewhere recently that there aren't many ladybirds around
this year?

There certainly are now!

....and damsel flies.

David

Still no ladybirds but quite a few of the common blue damsel flies.
We're awaiting the arrival of something classier! ;-)

Sacha
It was red damsel flies I saw quite a few of at the weekend, which are not a very common sight. Not seen any ladybirds. Something has been eating the aphids on my roses, though I expect it is hoverflies, I think they do more to keep the aphids down than ladybirds. But my cardoon (I grow it as a decorative in the flowerbed) is heavily covered in blackfly now, nothing seems to want to eat them. My daughter got stung by a bumblebee while picking some peas yesterday. There seem to be a lot of bumblebees around now after the dearth earlier in the year.
Old 16-07-2013, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha;987646 Wrote:
On 2013-07-15 15:42:01 +0100, David Rance said:
-
[...]

Several more blue damselfies seen today, is the male green? One
'hitched' pair had that combination, or so it seemed. Our cardoons are
clear of blackflies so far (handsome plnts aren't they?) but the Phlox
are getting them, I think. Closer inspection tomorrow.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 17-07-2013, 07:18 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha View Post

Several more blue damselfies seen today, is the male green?
Other way round. The green one is the female.
__________________
Old 17-07-2013, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-17 07:18:32 +0100, kay said:

Sacha;987743 Wrote:

Several more blue damselfies seen today, is the male green?

Other way round. The green one is the female.

Ah, thanks Kay. So we have a lot of desperate males around!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 32 27-03-2005 10:55 PM
Ladybirds galore Pam Morris United Kingdom 2 27-03-2005 10:50 AM
Greenfly / Ladybirds JennyC United Kingdom 7 16-05-2004 01:11 PM
Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 2 18-04-2004 05:07 AM
where are all the ladybirds? Pickle United Kingdom 6 08-07-2003 06:32 AM