Old 17-07-2013, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommend a new mower, please

I need a new walk-behind mower for my patch. What would the team
suggest? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, but I'd insist on good
engineering. Apart from that, nothing really. Don't need a cylinder (?)
mower, prefer a rotary one.

All ideas welcome.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 17-07-2013, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/07/2013 14:45, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I need a new walk-behind mower for my patch. What would the team
suggest? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, but I'd insist on good
engineering. Apart from that, nothing really. Don't need a cylinder (?)
mower, prefer a rotary one.

All ideas welcome.

What is the size of the patch? Is it level or sloped? Is it uneven or
smooth?

--

Jeff
Old 17-07-2013, 03:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/07/13 15:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 17/07/2013 14:45, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I need a new walk-behind mower for my patch. What would the team
suggest? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, but I'd insist on good
engineering. Apart from that, nothing really. Don't need a cylinder (?)
mower, prefer a rotary one.

All ideas welcome.

What is the size of the patch? Is it level or sloped? Is it uneven or
smooth?

3 separate bits, all level and smooth. Total perhaps 5 x 10 metres.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 17-07-2013, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Newbury wrote:

On 17/07/13 15:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 17/07/2013 14:45, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I need a new walk-behind mower for my patch. What would the team
suggest? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, but I'd insist on good
engineering. Apart from that, nothing really. Don't need a cylinder (?)
mower, prefer a rotary one.

All ideas welcome.

What is the size of the patch? Is it level or sloped? Is it uneven or
smooth?

3 separate bits, all level and smooth. Total perhaps 5 x 10 metres.

The Bosch Rotak 40, is currently a Which Best Buy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Ergoflex-Electric-Lawnmower-Cutting/dp/B004GTMNXI/ref=sr_1_5?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1336373894&sr=1-5

Or the larger Rotak 43
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Ergoflex-Electric-Rotary-Lawnmower/dp/B004JMY4SO/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1336373894&sr=1-4

There is also a smaller version, the Rotak 34

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ULX02A/ref=asc_df_B004ULX02A7750086?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&t ag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004UL X02A

I have one similar to the smallest of these, and have been very
pleased with it.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 17-07-2013, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/07/13 17:04, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Hugh Newbury wrote:

On 17/07/13 15:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 17/07/2013 14:45, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I need a new walk-behind mower for my patch. What would the team
suggest? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, but I'd insist on good
engineering. Apart from that, nothing really. Don't need a cylinder (?)
mower, prefer a rotary one.

All ideas welcome.

What is the size of the patch? Is it level or sloped? Is it uneven or
smooth?

3 separate bits, all level and smooth. Total perhaps 5 x 10 metres.

The Bosch Rotak 40, is currently a Which Best Buy

Chris, thanks for that. I'm not sure it would be right. Some of the bits
are rather far from the house. But it's a good price certainly, even
with extra cable. I'll think about it.

Hugh

Old 17-07-2013, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Newbury wrote:

On 17/07/13 15:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 17/07/2013 14:45, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I need a new walk-behind mower for my patch. What would the team
suggest? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, but I'd insist on good
engineering. Apart from that, nothing really. Don't need a cylinder (?)
mower, prefer a rotary one.

All ideas welcome.

What is the size of the patch? Is it level or sloped? Is it uneven or
smooth?

3 separate bits, all level and smooth. Total perhaps 5 x 10 metres.

The Bosch Rotak 40, is currently a Which Best Buy

Chris, thanks for that. I'm not sure it would be right. Some of the bits
are rather far from the house. But it's a good price certainly, even
with extra cable. I'll think about it.

Hugh

If some of the areas are a bit far from the house, have you considered a
cordless mower? They aren't cheap, but they could easily handle 5 x 10
metres.

You might want to have a look he
http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/GUIDE_CHE...WER_PETROL.htm

But it might eventually feel like "Too much information"!...

--

Jeff
Old 18-07-2013, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/07/13 17:04, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Hugh Newbury wrote:

'''

The Bosch Rotak 40, is currently a Which Best Buy

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Ergoflex-Electric-Lawnmower-Cutting/dp/B004GTMNXI/ref=sr_1_5?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1336373894&sr=1-5

Or the larger Rotak 43
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Ergoflex-Electric-Rotary-Lawnmower/dp/B004JMY4SO/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1336373894&sr=1-4

There is also a smaller version, the Rotak 34

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ULX02A/ref=asc_df_B004ULX02A7750086?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&t ag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B004UL X02A

I have one similar to the smallest of these, and have been very
pleased with it.

Chris

I've been thinking and have worked out a method for running one of the
Bosch Rotaks. One question: does it need servicing each year, and of so
where does it have to go?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 18-07-2013, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Newbury wrote:

I've been thinking and have worked out a method for running one of the
Bosch Rotaks. One question: does it need servicing each year, and of so
where does it have to go?

No routine maintenance required other than the occasional
cleaning off of accumulated grass and mud.

If required, the cutter blade can be sharpened on a grinding
wheel, or probably more slowly with a file. This tends to depend
upon how many stones it picks up.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 18-07-2013, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/07/13 16:14, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Hugh Newbury wrote:

I've been thinking and have worked out a method for running one of the
Bosch Rotaks. One question: does it need servicing each year, and of so
where does it have to go?

No routine maintenance required other than the occasional
cleaning off of accumulated grass and mud.

If required, the cutter blade can be sharpened on a grinding
wheel, or probably more slowly with a file. This tends to depend
upon how many stones it picks up.

Chris

Chris, that sounds great after having to get my petrol mower serviced
every autumn. Thanks for all your help.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 18-07-2013, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hugh Newbury wrote:

On 17/07/13 15:11, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 17/07/2013 14:45, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I need a new walk-behind mower for my patch. What would the team
suggest? It doesn't need to be anything fancy, but I'd insist on good
engineering. Apart from that, nothing really. Don't need a cylinder (?)
mower, prefer a rotary one.

All ideas welcome.

What is the size of the patch? Is it level or sloped? Is it uneven or
smooth?

3 separate bits, all level and smooth. Total perhaps 5 x 10 metres.

The Bosch Rotak 40, is currently a Which Best Buy

Chris, thanks for that. I'm not sure it would be right. Some of the bits
are rather far from the house. But it's a good price certainly, even
with extra cable. I'll think about it.

Hugh

The Rotak range is available as a Cordless type, I have one and it
does cope with a reasonable size lawn with sensibly long grass
sometimes not fully dry and abuse such using as a shredder on piles of
leaves and twigs.
The price for a such a cordless that actually works is high and they
are often about double what a mains one costs.
For me it was worth paying the premium as
A. I detest cords trailing about, modern ones are electrically safe
but they still catch on shrubs and damage plants etc
B. Don't want to store petrol in a can ,the car is diesel so we never
need Petrol.

G.Harman