Old 17-07-2013, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sweet Woodruff

Is this plant as invasive as is often said? I'm tempted to plant it as
another ground coverer under a purple prunus, where it's shady but gets
rather dry, and let it run about under the Lunaria, Hellebore foetidus
and foxgloves. Would it seed around all over the place and try to
strangle everything in sight?

--
Sue

Old 17-07-2013, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:00:32 +0100, "Indigo"
wrote:

Is this plant as invasive as is often said? I'm tempted to plant it as
another ground coverer under a purple prunus, where it's shady but gets
rather dry, and let it run about under the Lunaria, Hellebore foetidus
and foxgloves. Would it seed around all over the place and try to
strangle everything in sight?

I was given some by a freind with the warning that it was invasive. I
much regret planting it. It forms a network of roots and is impossible
to remove completely once it gets entwined with other plants.
I have seen patches of it in flower in other gardens where it has room
to spread in but in my small garden it is a nuisance!

Pam in Bristol
Old 17-07-2013, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Indigo wrote:

Is this plant as invasive as is often said? I'm tempted to plant it as
another ground coverer under a purple prunus, where it's shady but gets
rather dry, and let it run about under the Lunaria, Hellebore foetidus
and foxgloves. Would it seed around all over the place and try to
strangle everything in sight?

No. It root runs, but does not seed much, and it doesn't strangle
anything. It is also shallow-rooted, and easy to get rid of if
you need to. Lunaria will strangle it, unless you keep its seedlings
under control.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-07-2013, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/07/2013 17:00, Indigo wrote:
Is this plant as invasive as is often said? I'm tempted to plant it as
another ground coverer under a purple prunus, where it's shady but gets
rather dry, and let it run about under the Lunaria, Hellebore foetidus
and foxgloves. Would it seed around all over the place and try to
strangle everything in sight?

It depends on just how much space you're prepared to let it colonise,
but I don't find it at all unmanagable in my shade garden. I love it.
Indeed, I wouldn't complain if it spread more quickly. I think the fact
that your soil is on the dry side (it prefers moist but well-draining
soil) will tend to hold it back a bit, as will your prunus tree. Keep
it watered until it's established, then I'm sure it will be fine. After
all, Hellebores like moist but well-drained soil, so it should be fine
so long as it gets its roots down.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 17-07-2013, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Indigo" wrote in message
o.uk...
Is this plant as invasive as is often said? I'm tempted to plant it as
another ground coverer under a purple prunus, where it's shady but gets
rather dry, and let it run about under the Lunaria, Hellebore foetidus
and foxgloves. Would it seed around all over the place and try to
strangle everything in sight?

--
Sue

I have a little spinney at the end of my very long garden and I wanted it to
have all native plants in it.
I bought some sweet woodruff and planted it, expecting it to spread. It
didn't and eventually died out.
So, it has not been my experience that it is invasive.

Old 18-07-2013, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote:
"Indigo" wrote:
Is this plant as invasive as is often said? [... ] Would it seed
around all over the place and try to
strangle everything in sight?

I have a little spinney at the end of my very long garden and I wanted
it to have all native plants in it.
I bought some sweet woodruff and planted it, expecting it to spread.
It didn't and eventually died out.
So, it has not been my experience that it is invasive.

Thanks Pam, Nick, Spider and Christina for your various comments. I
think I'll give it a go, as it has such pretty foliage and sounds
unlikely to seed into the rest of the garden.

--
Sue

Old 18-07-2013, 06:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-17 23:12:52 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Indigo" wrote in message
o.uk...
Is this plant as invasive as is often said? I'm tempted to plant it as
another ground coverer under a purple prunus, where it's shady but gets
rather dry, and let it run about under the Lunaria, Hellebore foetidus
and foxgloves. Would it seed around all over the place and try to
strangle everything in sight?

--
Sue

I have a little spinney at the end of my very long garden and I wanted
it to have all native plants in it.
I bought some sweet woodruff and planted it, expecting it to spread.
It didn't and eventually died out.
So, it has not been my experience that it is invasive.

We have quite a bit in one area of our garden and sometimes Ray tries
potting bits up. He finds it very tricky to get rooted and happy. It's
spread itself a bit in that area but it certainly isn't what I'd
describe as invasive. And it is a very charming little plant.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-07-2013, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-17 23:12:52 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Indigo" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

And smells so nice like new mown hay.
Tina

sweet woodruff Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 22 22-07-2011 06:21 PM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Sweet Woodruff Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 3 09-06-2007 09:04 PM
Sweet Woodruff Phisherman Gardening 12 20-03-2005 12:15 AM
Preen and Mazus or Sweet Woodruff Meg Gardening 0 27-03-2004 04:12 AM
Sweet Woodruff Smeckler United Kingdom 29 29-05-2003 02:20 PM