GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Snapdragons (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207793-snapdragons.html)

rabc 18-07-2013 09:43 PM

Snapdragons

Planted a mass of snapdragons in one corner of the garden and now that they are flowering they are beginning to sag as i didnt pinch the tops off earlier,is there anything i can do,is it too late to pinch the tops off once they have flowered.....Cheers

kay 19-07-2013 10:00 AM

Agree with Chris - sounds like lack of water. Pinching out is to make them bush out, not to stop the stems from flopping.

I've often watered more than I think could possibly be needed, then dug down into the soil and found it bone dry only an inch below the surface.

rabc 19-07-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kay (Post 987880)
Agree with Chris - sounds like lack of water. Pinching out is to make them bush out, not to stop the stems from flopping.

I've often watered more than I think could possibly be needed, then dug down into the soil and found it bone dry only an inch below the surface.

Advice taken and have gave them a good watering, have also noticed that the odd one looks like there going to seed.......Cheers

rabc 21-07-2013 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rabc (Post 987892)
Advice taken and have gave them a good watering, have also noticed that the odd one looks like there going to seed.......Cheers

Has this gone to seed or is it another flower waiting to appear,any advice appreciated..Cheers

Spider[_3_] 21-07-2013 10:39 PM

Snapdragons

On 21/07/2013 17:05, rabc wrote:
rabc;987892 Wrote:
Advice taken and have gave them a good watering, have also noticed that
the odd one looks like there going to seed.......Cheers

Has this gone to seed or is it another flower waiting to appear,any
advice appreciated..Cheers

|Filename: 6 016.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15714|

Gone to seed.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

David Hill 21-07-2013 10:48 PM

Snapdragons

On 21/07/2013 17:05, rabc wrote:
rabc;987892 Wrote:
Advice taken and have gave them a good watering, have also noticed that
the odd one looks like there going to seed.......Cheers

Has this gone to seed or is it another flower waiting to appear,any
advice appreciated..Cheers

|Filename: 6 016.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15714|

Nice seed pods, left alone they will ripen and self sow.
Cut the old flower spikes off and you may well get a second flush of flower.
your choice.

kay 21-07-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabc (Post 987967)
Has this gone to seed or is it another flower waiting to appear,any advice appreciated..Cheers

The flowers appear in spikes, with the youngest flowers at the top. So things which aren't flowers will be buds if they are at the top of the spike or seedpods if they are at the bottom.