GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Book on weeds & weeding (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207799-book-weeds-weeding.html)

sacha 19-07-2013 04:44 PM

Book on weeds & weeding

I like the sound of this book, William Edmond’s Weeds, Weeding (&
Darwin) and have just ordered it. Thinkingardens has a review of it by
Barbara Abbs. http://thinkingardens.co.uk/

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

'Mike'[_4_] 19-07-2013 04:48 PM

Book on weeds & weeding

Sorry, should have said "Will you be stocking it for mail order?"

(Chance of another plug/advert)

Spider[_3_] 19-07-2013 06:16 PM

Book on weeds & weeding

On 19/07/2013 16:44, Sacha wrote:
I like the sound of this book, William Edmond’s Weeds, Weeding (&
Darwin) and have just ordered it. Thinkingardens has a review of it by
Barbara Abbs. http://thinkingardens.co.uk/

It does sound very interesting. I wonder if there is a guide to weed
seedlings to aid recognition. Do you know?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

sacha 19-07-2013 06:40 PM

Book on weeds & weeding

On 2013-07-19 18:16:01 +0100, Spider said:

On 19/07/2013 16:44, Sacha wrote:
I like the sound of this book, William Edmond’s Weeds, Weeding (&
Darwin) and have just ordered it. Thinkingardens has a review of it by
Barbara Abbs. http://thinkingardens.co.uk/

It does sound very interesting. I wonder if there is a guide to weed
seedlings to aid recognition. Do you know?

I don't, I'm afraid. I read the review on thinkingardens and ordered it
from Amazon because this whole thing of 'what is a weed' is quite
interesting, I think. I've always let clumps of loosestrife grow in
gardens I've had because I love it and we let some coral or black
bryony grow here because birds like the berries. I'll let you know
when it gets here. Of course, definitions of 'weed' may vary but that's
part of the thinking as far as I can see.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Alan (BigAl) 19-07-2013 08:47 PM

Book on weeds & weeding

On 19/07/2013 16:44, Sacha wrote:

interesting, I think. I've always let clumps of loosestrife grow in
gardens I've had because I love it

We do that as well. It is very attractive. We keep the pond as a
wildlife area, and enjoy the Rosebay that sprout there too.
Even worse (some will say, I am sure) we allow one or two Ragwort plants
grow to maturity. They are impressive in full bloom.

Al.

Pete C[_2_] 19-07-2013 09:45 PM

Book on weeds & weeding

On 2013-07-19 18:16:01 +0100, Spider said:

On 19/07/2013 16:44, Sacha wrote:
I like the sound of this book, William Edmondâ?Ts Weeds, Weeding (&
Darwin) and have just ordered it. Thinkingardens has a review of it by
Barbara Abbs. http://thinkingardens.co.uk/

It does sound very interesting. I wonder if there is a guide to weed
seedlings to aid recognition. Do you know?

I don't, I'm afraid. I read the review on thinkingardens and ordered it
from Amazon because this whole thing of 'what is a weed' is quite
interesting, I think. I've always let clumps of loosestrife grow in
gardens I've had because I love it and we let some coral or black bryony
grow here because birds like the berries. I'll let you know when it gets
here. Of course, definitions of 'weed' may vary but that's part of the
thinking as far as I can see.

Surely, a weed is a volunteer plant where you don't want it?
--
Pete C

sacha 19-07-2013 10:58 PM

Book on weeds & weeding

On 2013-07-19 18:16:01 +0100, Spider said:

On 19/07/2013 16:44, Sacha wrote:
I like the sound of this book, William Edmondâ?Ts Weeds, Weeding (&
Darwin) and have just ordered it. Thinkingardens has a review of it by
Barbara Abbs. http://thinkingardens.co.uk/

It does sound very interesting. I wonder if there is a guide to weed
seedlings to aid recognition. Do you know?

I don't, I'm afraid. I read the review on thinkingardens and ordered it
from Amazon because this whole thing of 'what is a weed' is quite
interesting, I think. I've always let clumps of loosestrife grow in
gardens I've had because I love it and we let some coral or black
bryony grow here because birds like the berries. I'll let you know
when it gets here. Of course, definitions of 'weed' may vary but that's
part of the thinking as far as I can see.

Surely, a weed is a volunteer plant where you don't want it?

Well, that's the famous definition, so we then move into the territory
between gardening, which implies a management of land to a considerable
degree; then allowing a certain amount of the land to produce wild
flowers or 'weeds' and then deliberately cultivating native species or
others not considered as 'ornamental' in a cultivated garden. I love
herb Robert and am happy to let it flit about here and there but the
article I linked to talks of Alchemilla mollis as a 'pernicious weed'
because it sets seed everywhere. It's a plant I like very
particularly, so that habit is, to me, a very attractive one! But one
of the reasons I've bought this book is to read another dimension on
all this.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com