Old 24-07-2013, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bonfires

Christina Websell wrote:

"Alexis" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
. ..
Thank you David, that is another point people are not aware of. There is
difference between having a bonfire and burning rubbish.

Mike

For a change, I agree with you. Burning rubbish is *not*a bonfire as far
as
I understand the term bonfire.

Just on a point of interest, I mean, how anyone understands the term
bonfire is of course entirely up to them, but according to Oxford
Dictionaries:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...fire?q=bonfire

Definition of bonfire in English | noun : a large open-air fire used
for burning rubbish or as part of a celebration...

I define a bonfire as setting fire to the garden waste that is impossible to
compost. No way you can set fire to anything else and call it a bonfire.

Thanks for the explanation. I don't know the first thing about
bonfires which is why I looked the word up in a dictionary.

I have no reason to doubt, however, that common usage of the word, in
a garden type setting, is just as you understand and define the term.
Old 24-07-2013, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/2013 02:57, Christina Websell wrote:
"Alexis" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
Thank you David, that is another point people are not aware of. There is
difference between having a bonfire and burning rubbish.

Mike

For a change, I agree with you. Burning rubbish is *not*a bonfire as far
as
I understand the term bonfire.

Just on a point of interest, I mean, how anyone understands the term
bonfire is of course entirely up to them, but according to Oxford
Dictionaries:

http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...fire?q=bonfire

Definition of bonfire in English | noun : a large open-air fire used
for burning rubbish or as part of a celebration...

I define a bonfire as setting fire to the garden waste that is impossible to
compost. No way you can set fire to anything else and call it a bonfire.

Balderdash.
Try telling these people that they don't know what they are doing
calling theirs bonfires.
http://www.lewesbonfirecelebrations....nt-dates-2012/

You can build a bonfire out of anything flammable

Old 24-07-2013, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Remember we started cremation here in the UK
See

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/pos...s_of_cremation

Of course we didn't; it was used thousands of years earlier

http://crematorium.eu/history_of_cremation.html

Price, as an educated and political man living in the hey day of the
British Raj would certainly have known corpse cremation was long used in
India.

Janet
Old 24-07-2013, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

I define a bonfire as setting fire to the garden waste that is impossible to
compost. No way you can set fire to anything else and call it a bonfire.

You forgot November the 5th.

Janet
Old 24-07-2013, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/2013 11:24, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Remember we started cremation here in the UK
See

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/pos...s_of_cremation

Of course we didn't; it was used thousands of years earlier

http://crematorium.eu/history_of_cremation.html

Price, as an educated and political man living in the hey day of the
British Raj would certainly have known corpse cremation was long used in
India.

Janet

OK I'll put it another way
Cremation in the UK was started in Wales, with Dr William Price,

Old 24-07-2013, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 24/07/2013 11:24, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Remember we started cremation here in the UK
See

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/pos...s_of_cremation

Of course we didn't; it was used thousands of years earlier

http://crematorium.eu/history_of_cremation.html

Price, as an educated and political man living in the hey day of the
British Raj would certainly have known corpse cremation was long used in
India.

Janet

OK I'll put it another way
Cremation in the UK was started in Wales, with Dr William Price,

No it wasn't. Try again :-) You might start with the Vikings and
work backwards beyond the Romans...

Janet
Old 24-07-2013, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/2013 17:11, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 24/07/2013 11:24, Janet wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Remember we started cremation here in the UK
See

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/pos...s_of_cremation

Of course we didn't; it was used thousands of years earlier

http://crematorium.eu/history_of_cremation.html

Price, as an educated and political man living in the hey day of the
British Raj would certainly have known corpse cremation was long used in
India.

Janet

OK I'll put it another way
Cremation in the UK was started in Wales, with Dr William Price,

No it wasn't. Try again :-) You might start with the Vikings and
work backwards beyond the Romans...

Janet

And you would remember?
Old 24-07-2013, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-24 18:22:55 +0100, David Hill said:

[...]

Cremation as we understand it is relatively modern. Tidily tucked into
a box and gliding away etc. is a relatively new process. A funeral
pyre is a rather different thing but the outcome is the same. Indeed,
one could say that, whatever the method chosen, that is so!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-07-2013, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:30:31 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Mike, we KNOW you're a troll and a bit more than a fool, you don't have
to keep on proving it. But thanks, you have just perfectly illustrated
my point for me. You're eaten up with jealousy, frustration and the
knowledge of your own inadequacy. You have absolutely nothing to
contribute of worth and it's genuinely pathetic - I use that word
advisedly - that an old man like you has to do this sort of thing to
give his life some meaning. You are a truly sad and lonely figure.

snip

Please - stop beating the Troll.

You know he loves it.
Old 25-07-2013, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-25 08:52:15 +0100, David.WE.Roberts said:

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 15:30:31 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Mike, we KNOW you're a troll and a bit more than a fool, you don't have
to keep on proving it. But thanks, you have just perfectly illustrated
my point for me. You're eaten up with jealousy, frustration and the
knowledge of your own inadequacy. You have absolutely nothing to
contribute of worth and it's genuinely pathetic - I use that word
advisedly - that an old man like you has to do this sort of thing to
give his life some meaning. You are a truly sad and lonely figure.

snip

Please - stop beating the Troll.

You know he loves it.

It's a very rare week when he doesn't have at least one swipe at me,
usually more. Mike is the sort of creature who likes to try to
intimidate women, i.e. a coward. But as I have been subject to these
attacks for about ten years now, I think the odd occasion when I tell
him that he's worse than something I'd scrape off my shoes, might be
understandable! I've come to the conclusion that for Mike it's a form
of masturbation.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-07-2013, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Mike is the sort of creature who likes to try to intimidate women,

How very odd. On this (and the other) ng, the only attempts at
intimidation I have been vaguely aware of seem to come from other
women.
Old 25-07-2013, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-25 10:27:01 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
Mike is the sort of creature who likes to try to intimidate women,

How very odd. On this (and the other) ng, the only attempts at
intimidation I have been vaguely aware of seem to come from other
women.

But you're not one of Mike's victims. And I very much doubt you've
seen anyone harping on at anyone else over a period of many years,
whether there's a response or not.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-07-2013, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-25 11:17:57 +0100, Martin said:

On 25 Jul 2013 09:27:01 GMT, wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Mike is the sort of creature who likes to try to intimidate women,

How very odd. On this (and the other) ng, the only attempts at
intimidation I have been vaguely aware of seem to come from other
women.

You are mixing him up with petrol head.

Sacha is abusing IOW Mike.

Abusing? Only if telling the truth about vile and repetitive behaviour
is abusive.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-07-2013, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-25 10:27:01 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
Mike is the sort of creature who likes to try to intimidate women,

How very odd. On this (and the other) ng, the only attempts at
intimidation I have been vaguely aware of seem to come from other
women.

Mike Crowe doesn't infest 'the other group', as far as I know. I rarely
read it myself these days.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 25-07-2013, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/13 06:58, 'Mike' wrote:
Thank you Christine, but I do know the rules, it's just that so many
people don't and cause trouble quoting rules and bye laws which don 't
exist. I just wondered what people on here know; or 'think' they know. I
have had some interesting conversations over the latter :-)

Mike

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:56:28 +0100, Mike wrote:

Hard and fast written down, not 'I believe'.

Just visit all the district, and possibly county, council websites
and search for "bonfire".

--
Cheers
Dave.

But to be fair, it all depends. My garden is very long with literally a
mile of fields after that, so no-one will notice if I light a bonfire.

I understand it can be a problem with a smaller garden so Mike might
like to
check with his council about bonfire rules in his area.

'Nuisance' can only be invoked if bonfires are regularly lit -
frequently, and really *are* a nuisance.

Regularly, once a year wouldn't invoke the genie: but once a week might,
depending on the nastiness of the smoke and its effects.

You should ask on uk.legal.moderated for clearer parameters,if there are
any.

--
Rusty Hinge

garden bonfires and the law rufus United Kingdom 21 04-08-2011 01:25 PM
What can I do with the ash from my bonfires? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 5 15-05-2006 03:08 PM
Bonfires/ hedgehogs Janet Galpin United Kingdom 28 21-03-2006 08:02 PM
Bonfires Janet Galpin United Kingdom 7 19-03-2006 07:49 PM
bonfires H Ryder United Kingdom 20 09-09-2005 10:26 PM