Old 25-07-2013, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bonfires

On 23/07/13 10:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:

1/2 a mile to the nearest neighbours here. Think we've had a couple
of fires since we moved in but not a garden bonfire with damp
cuttings, mostly old doors or other non-reuseable bits of wood,
chipboard, etc

Old doors,chipboard etc are always reuseable - in my fireplace...

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 25-07-2013, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/13 08:54, 'Mike' wrote:
Bob keep a log. If possible keep a photographic record as well and if
your camera has time and date so much the better.

Mike

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"Christina Websell" wrote

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

Mike wrote:

Hard and fast written down, not 'I believe'.

Just visit all the district, and possibly county, council websites
and search for "bonfire".

But to be fair, it all depends. My garden is very long with
literally a mile of fields after that, so no-one will notice if I
light a bonfire.

I understand it can be a problem with a smaller garden so Mike might
like to check with his council about bonfire rules in his area.

But why would anyone need a bonfire? We haven't had one for as long as I
can
remember and just take stuff to our compost bins on our allotment or to the
Council Recycling Centre, job done.
We have one neighbour that seems to always choose the warmest evening, when
everyone has their windows open and washing out, to light a fire and it is
always the smokiest and revoltingly smelliest fire you can imagine. Our
local Council rules do allow for bonfires with the proviso that they don't
annoy neighbours but that is just stupid and unenforceable IMO.

Ah, *now* I remember why I had 'Mike' killfiled on the other box -
top-posting...

Plonk.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 25-07-2013, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

How wide spread are "green waste" collections? All ours gets are
woody prunings and the ragwort, dock, thistle etc...

Some councils offer green waste collection free. Mine offers a brown bin
the size of a wheelie bin for £16/year collected once a fortnight. I could
fill that in one day!

Ours is "free"
I do a lot of composting but very occasionally I have a bonfire in an
incinerator, which as I said before is so far down my garden that no-one
even notices AFAIK.

Whether a bonfire is ant-social depends very much on proximity of
neighbours. For that reason we never have one. Compost, brown bin or off
to the Garden Waste skip at the local tip.

Never had any complaints anyway.
Tina

Just because they haven't complained doesn't mean they're not unhappy.
--
bert
Old 25-07-2013, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/2013 16:51, bert wrote:
[...]

If they complain just curse and say you forgot the herrings you were
going to make kippers out of.

garden bonfires and the law rufus United Kingdom 21 04-08-2011 02:25 PM
What can I do with the ash from my bonfires? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 5 15-05-2006 04:08 PM
Bonfires/ hedgehogs Janet Galpin United Kingdom 28 21-03-2006 09:02 PM
Bonfires Janet Galpin United Kingdom 7 19-03-2006 08:49 PM
bonfires H Ryder United Kingdom 20 09-09-2005 11:26 PM