Old 20-07-2013, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bonfires

Are you aware of any regulations/restrictions in your area?

I would be interested to hear of any hard and fast bye laws relating to
bonfires around the country.

Hard and fast written down, not 'I believe'.

Thank you.

Old 20-07-2013, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:56:28 +0100, Mike wrote:

Hard and fast written down, not 'I believe'.

Just visit all the district, and possibly county, council websites
and search for "bonfire".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-07-2013, 12:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 08:56:28 +0100, Mike wrote:

Hard and fast written down, not 'I believe'.

Just visit all the district, and possibly county, council websites
and search for "bonfire".

--
Cheers
Dave.

But to be fair, it all depends. My garden is very long with literally a
mile of fields after that, so no-one will notice if I light a bonfire.

I understand it can be a problem with a smaller garden so Mike might like to
check with his council about bonfire rules in his area.

Old 23-07-2013, 06:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you Christine, but I do know the rules, it's just that so many people
don't and cause trouble quoting rules and bye laws which don 't exist. I
just wondered what people on here know; or 'think' they know. I have had
some interesting conversations over the latter :-)

Mike

Old 23-07-2013, 08:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

Mike wrote:

Hard and fast written down, not 'I believe'.

Just visit all the district, and possibly county, council websites
and search for "bonfire".

But to be fair, it all depends. My garden is very long with literally a
mile of fields after that, so no-one will notice if I light a bonfire.

I understand it can be a problem with a smaller garden so Mike might like
to check with his council about bonfire rules in his area.

But why would anyone need a bonfire? We haven't had one for as long as I can
remember and just take stuff to our compost bins on our allotment or to the
Council Recycling Centre, job done.
We have one neighbour that seems to always choose the warmest evening, when
everyone has their windows open and washing out, to light a fire and it is
always the smokiest and revoltingly smelliest fire you can imagine. Our
local Council rules do allow for bonfires with the proviso that they don't
annoy neighbours but that is just stupid and unenforceable IMO.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 23-07-2013, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob keep a log. If possible keep a photographic record as well and if your
camera has time and date so much the better.

Mike

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"Christina Websell" wrote

"Dave Liquorice" wrote

Old 23-07-2013, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 06:58:32 +0100, Mike wrote:

Thank you Christine, but I do know the rules, it's just that so many
people don't and cause trouble quoting rules and bye laws which don 't
exist. I just wondered what people on here know; or 'think' they know.

But that isn't the question you asked! You asked "Hard and fast
written down, not 'I believe'."

But to be fair, it all depends. My garden is very long with literally
a mile of fields after that, so no-one will notice if I light a bonfire.

1/2 a mile to the nearest neighbours here. Think we've had a couple
of fires since we moved in but not a garden bonfire with damp
cuttings, mostly old doors or other non-reuseable bits of wood,
chipboard, etc

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-07-2013, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/07/2013 08:56, 'Mike' wrote:
Are you aware of any regulations/restrictions in your area?

I would be interested to hear of any hard and fast bye laws relating to
bonfires around the country.

Hard and fast written down, not 'I believe'.

Thank you.

Do remember that there is a difference between a bonfire and a Home
cremation.
Old 23-07-2013, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 08:29:17 +0100, Bob Hobden wrote:

But why would anyone need a bonfire? We haven't had one for as long as I
can remember and just take stuff to our compost bins on our allotment or
to the Council Recycling Centre, job done.

If you don't have transport or an allotment? Could have their own
compost bin of course, but I'd not be happy putting ragwort, thistle,
dock in our bin, it doesn't really rot down very well. Own compost
bin is somewhere to put kitchen waste as well. But I guess people
shove their kitchen peelings etc in the general waste hence the fuss
about "smelly bins"...

How wide spread are "green waste" collections? All ours gets are
woody prunings and the ragwort, dock, thistle etc...

We have one neighbour that seems to always choose the warmest evening,
when everyone has their windows open and washing out, to light a fire
and it is always the smokiest and revoltingly smelliest fire you can
imagine.

I know that well. When we lived on an estate in St Albans any half
decent summer evening would be ruined by the air being filled with
smoke and the stench of dead animals being cremated.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 23-07-2013, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Mike' wrote:

[...] There is a difference between having a bonfire and burning
rubbish.

According to this website from Exeter City Council:

http://www.exeter.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3147

"Bonfires may be seen as an 'easy' way of getting rid of garden and
other rubbish..."

Also stated is this:

"Despite popular belief there are no time restrictions on when people
can have bonfires..."

and

"There are no restrictions on having a bonfire on your property even
if you are in a smoke control area. Smoke control areas only refer to
burning in the grate in your house..."

Old 23-07-2013, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
lid says...

If he want to immolate himself in his vast garden who are we to try
and stop him?

Stop him? Most people here would rip off their shed door and
contribute it to the pyre.

Janet

Old 23-07-2013, 03:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Just shows how wrong you can be.

A confrontation took place whereby a 'knowall' informed the owner of a
bonfire that it was 'Illegal', 'Dangerous' and that the person was to be
reported. It was after this person was informed that bonfires are not
illegal and in this particular case, was in a concrete lined bay so couldn't
be dangerous, that the person went off wth his tail between his legs.

What I wanted to know was just how much people know, and as it happens, not
very much.

Whilst I fully appreciate that you feel that you are the fount of all
knowledge on this forum, there are in fact people who cannot stand you
persistent arguments and downright domineering attitude, and it is when you
are away, and no you don't need to advertise the fact when you g away, the
lack of your persistent postings and the peace that rules tells us.

Now write to my family. Or go and tell Ray.

Kindest possible regards

Mike

..
..
..
..
..

This will of course give you the opportunity to shove another advert out for
the Garden Centre won't it?

By the way, you haven't informed us what you have been into Totnes for
lately for the Tea Rooms, however it was noted that you served the first of
the Tumble Tomatoes the other day. Good plug :-)

we are not all blind to your blatant advertising

..

On 2013-07-23 12:37:52 +0000, Martin said:

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 13:15:18 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
lid says...

If he wants to immolate himself in his vast garden who are we to try
and stop him?

Stop him? Most people here would rip off their shed door and
contribute it to the pyre.

LOL

Do you think he has St Joan syndrome?

No. He has "I'll ask any damn fool question to get someone to take
notice of me!" HE doesn't want the information at all, he SAYS he just
wants to find out if other people have looked it up. In cold fact, it's
neither but it is a desperate attempt to get someone to acknowledge his
posts! Nobody has taken any heed of his increasingly manic efforts
either to start a fight, talk about his cruises, or his camera, or the
run down theatre he's involved with, or to get someone to talk to him,
so he asks what poses as a genuine question but is actually nothing of
the sort. The man goes from bad to utterly ridiculous! He is truly
pathetic.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-07-2013, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike, we KNOW you're a troll and a bit more than a fool, you don't have
to keep on proving it. But thanks, you have just perfectly illustrated
my point for me. You're eaten up with jealousy, frustration and the
knowledge of your own inadequacy. You have absolutely nothing to
contribute of worth and it's genuinely pathetic - I use that word
advisedly - that an old man like you has to do this sort of thing to
give his life some meaning. You are a truly sad and lonely figure.

On 2013-07-23 12:37:52 +0000, Martin said:

[...]

www.helpforheroes.org.uk

garden bonfires and the law rufus United Kingdom 21 04-08-2011 01:25 PM
What can I do with the ash from my bonfires? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 5 15-05-2006 03:08 PM
Bonfires/ hedgehogs Janet Galpin United Kingdom 28 21-03-2006 08:02 PM
Bonfires Janet Galpin United Kingdom 7 19-03-2006 07:49 PM
bonfires H Ryder United Kingdom 20 09-09-2005 10:26 PM