GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Today's harvest (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207810-todays-harvest.html)

No Name 20-07-2013 10:02 PM

Today's harvest

2 large punnets of gooseberries, a medium punnet each of redcurrants
and whitecurrants and blackcurrants.

No idea what to do with them now. Seems a shame to freeze them, but
I've kind of eaten as many as I can today, and there's plenty more to
be picked tomorrow!

sacha 20-07-2013 11:01 PM

Today's harvest

On 2013-07-20 22:02:00 +0100, said:

2 large punnets of gooseberries, a medium punnet each of redcurrants
and whitecurrants and blackcurrants.

No idea what to do with them now. Seems a shame to freeze them, but
I've kind of eaten as many as I can today, and there's plenty more to
be picked tomorrow!

Summer pudding? Home made ice cream?
--

Sacha
South Devon

David Hill 20-07-2013 11:18 PM

Today's harvest

Bob Hobden 21-07-2013 08:09 AM

Today's harvest

"Sacha" wrote

vicky said:

2 large punnets of gooseberries, a medium punnet each of redcurrants
and whitecurrants and blackcurrants.

No idea what to do with them now. Seems a shame to freeze them, but
I've kind of eaten as many as I can today, and there's plenty more to
be picked tomorrow!

Summer pudding? Home made ice cream?

Gooseberry ice cream is superb but they have to be ripe, unlike for jam.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Baz[_3_] 21-07-2013 11:58 AM

Today's harvest

On 2013-07-20 22:02:00 +0100, said:

2 large punnets of gooseberries, a medium punnet each of redcurrants
and whitecurrants and blackcurrants.

No idea what to do with them now. Seems a shame to freeze them, but
I've kind of eaten as many as I can today, and there's plenty more to
be picked tomorrow!

Summer pudding? Home made ice cream?

Summer pudding is a delight. You can make it even with one or two fruits if
you have to. Well worth the effort IMO.

Baz

Bob Hobden 21-07-2013 05:16 PM

Today's harvest

Vicky wrote

2 large punnets of gooseberries, a medium punnet each of redcurrants
and whitecurrants and blackcurrants.

No idea what to do with them now. Seems a shame to freeze them, but
I've kind of eaten as many as I can today, and there's plenty more to
be picked tomorrow!

We picked 12lbs of gooseberries this morning from one bush, now topped and
tailed and washed/dried and in the freezer. Dug up three plants of early
spuds (Sherine and Rocket) some for a neighbour. Cut two large pointed
cabbage one given away, pulled some carrots, and picked some runner beans,
picked the last of the early peas, cut some courgettes and also picked a
punnet of dark cherries. Cleaned up and brought home all the Jermor shallots
and the garlic (Thermidrome and Germidour). A good morning.
That leaves another gooseberry bush to pick tomorrow, then our skin can
start to heal. :-(
People talk about pyracantha as good hedging to keep villains out but I'm
sure gooseberries would do a better job and you get the fruit (if you're
brave enough)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

'Mike'[_4_] 21-07-2013 05:46 PM

Today's harvest

"""People talk about pyracantha as good hedging to keep villains out but I'm
sure gooseberries would do a better job and you get the fruit (if you're
brave enough)"""

Didn't stop two naughty boys putting their hands through a hole in the fence
at Kingston Upon Thames during the war years and 'scrumping' Gooz Gogs from
a bush just the other side :-)

Mike

Me?

Now would I ever????????????

Vicky wrote

kay 21-07-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Name (Post 987949)
2 large punnets of gooseberries, a medium punnet each of redcurrants
and whitecurrants and blackcurrants.

No idea what to do with them now. Seems a shame to freeze them, but
I've kind of eaten as many as I can today, and there's plenty more to
be picked tomorrow!

--

It does seem a shame to freeze, but it seems a lot less of a shame when you fish them out of the freezer in those gloomy days in January and February.

We have masses of alpine strawberries, raspberries and tayberries. So I pick them each day, and any we haven't eaten by the end of the day are added to the stock in the freezer.

No Name 22-07-2013 12:04 AM

Today's harvest

David Hill wrote:
No idea what to do with them now. Seems a shame to freeze them, but
I've kind of eaten as many as I can today, and there's plenty more to
be picked tomorrow!

Summer pudding? Home made ice cream?

Jam

Already have an awful lot of jam, from emptying the freezer and finding
all last year's leftover fruits! Tempted to make a pale coloured gooseberry
and whitecurrant jam, though.

Janet 22-07-2013 10:22 AM

Today's harvest

In article ,
says...

David Hill wrote:
No idea what to do with them now. Seems a shame to freeze them, but
I've kind of eaten as many as I can today, and there's plenty more to
be picked tomorrow!

Summer pudding? Home made ice cream?

Jam

Already have an awful lot of jam, from emptying the freezer and finding
all last year's leftover fruits! Tempted to make a pale coloured gooseberry
and whitecurrant jam, though.

Have you tried gooseberry fool? Our kids loved it, especially when
made with real custard. You've got the eggs..

Janet

No Name 22-07-2013 02:33 PM

Today's harvest

Janet wrote:
Already have an awful lot of jam, from emptying the freezer and finding
all last year's leftover fruits! Tempted to make a pale coloured gooseberry
and whitecurrant jam, though.

Have you tried gooseberry fool? Our kids loved it, especially when
made with real custard. You've got the eggs..

I thought gooseberry fool was made with cream rather than eggs. I may give it
a go, and the suggestion of ice-cream if I can find space in the freezer.
Although tbh, the gooseberries are the least of a problem, as Daniel seems to
be happy to munch through them (he says he doesn't like the skin so much, but
he's not started spitting it out /yet/).

I've got a bowl of red and white currants for lunch today (and an almond croissant
so as not to appear too healthy)

David Rance[_6_] 22-07-2013 04:56 PM

Today's harvest

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 wrote:

Janet wrote:
Already have an awful lot of jam, from emptying the freezer and finding
all last year's leftover fruits! Tempted to make a pale coloured gooseberry
and whitecurrant jam, though.

Have you tried gooseberry fool? Our kids loved it, especially when
made with real custard. You've got the eggs..

I thought gooseberry fool was made with cream rather than eggs.

Traditionally it was made with custard but today it's usually made with
whipped cream or even yoghurt.

David

David Hill 22-07-2013 09:11 PM

Today's harvest

On 22/07/2013 14:33, wrote:
Although tbh, the gooseberries are the least of a problem, as Daniel seems to
be happy to munch through them (he says he doesn't like the skin so much, but
he's not started spitting it out/yet/).

Remember "It's only the skin on a gooseberry that stops it from being a
grape"

No Name 23-07-2013 12:03 AM

Today's harvest

David Hill wrote:
Although tbh, the gooseberries are the least of a problem, as Daniel seems to
be happy to munch through them (he says he doesn't like the skin so much, but
he's not started spitting it out/yet/).

Remember "It's only the skin on a gooseberry that stops it from being a
grape"

Nothing a good razor or dose of immac won't cure. ;-)

stuart noble 23-07-2013 10:20 AM

Today's harvest

On 23/07/2013 00:03, wrote:
David Hill wrote:
Although tbh, the gooseberries are the least of a problem, as Daniel seems to
be happy to munch through them (he says he doesn't like the skin so much, but
he's not started spitting it out/yet/).

Remember "It's only the skin on a gooseberry that stops it from being a
grape"

Nothing a good razor or dose of immac won't cure. ;-)

Canned goosberries are bald