Old 21-07-2013, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sudden downpour

Returning from London, we'd just reached the first turn off to
Ashburton when the heavens opened and rain crashed down. This must have
been around 10.30pm or a little earlier. We'd seen lightning from some
way away while we were on the M5. The steam is rising off the roads
and it's like a sort of creeply Hollywood film. Now we have a light
but steady downpour and may it stay that way to waer the garden but
leave the plants unharmed!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-07-2013, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

We have 7 water butts. Getting dangerously low :-(

Mike

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 23:10:28 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Returning from London, we'd just reached the first turn off to
Ashburton when the heavens opened and rain crashed down. This must have
been around 10.30pm or a little earlier. We'd seen lightning from some
way away while we were on the M5. The steam is rising off the roads
and it's like a sort of creeply Hollywood film. Now we have a light
but steady downpour and may it stay that way to waer the garden but
leave the plants unharmed!

Lucky you! Dry as a bone down here. Hoping for some heavy downpours in
the next couple of days, but there's no guarantee.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Old 22-07-2013, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 09:13:53 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Lucky you! Dry as a bone down here. Hoping for some heavy downpours in
the next couple of days, but there's no guarantee.

Be better to get hours of gentle rain putting down the same amount of
water as a downpour does in 30 mins. A lot of the down pour will just
run off the hard, bone dry, ground. Gentle rain over an exteneded
period will tend to soak in far more.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 22-07-2013, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-21 23:16:44 +0100, David Hill said:

On 21/07/2013 23:10, Sacha wrote:
Returning from London, we'd just reached the first turn off to Ashburton
when the heavens opened and rain crashed down. This must have been
around 10.30pm or a little earlier. We'd seen lightning from some way
away while we were on the M5. The steam is rising off the roads and
it's like a sort of creeply Hollywood film. Now we have a light but
steady downpour and may it stay that way to waer the garden but leave
the plants unharmed!

Show-off.

Lol!! Well, not really unfortunately! It didn't last and was only
enough to lay the dust, I'm afraid. But while the sun is back today,
it's hazy and the forecast is for a lot more rain. There are even
warnings of flash floods here and there. The ground is so dry that it
won't absorb heavy rain quickly so the run-off could do some damage.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-07-2013, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-22 09:51:00 +0100, Martin said:

On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 09:13:53 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 23:10:28 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Returning from London, we'd just reached the first turn off to
Ashburton when the heavens opened and rain crashed down. This must have
been around 10.30pm or a little earlier. We'd seen lightning from some
way away while we were on the M5. The steam is rising off the roads
and it's like a sort of creeply Hollywood film. Now we have a light
but steady downpour and may it stay that way to waer the garden but
leave the plants unharmed!

Lucky you! Dry as a bone down here. Hoping for some heavy downpours in
the next couple of days, but there's no guarantee.

Set weather switch to flash floods.

Precisely that is one of the forecast effects. If it's too heavy, the
rain could do a lot of damage and if gardens really are spoiled, we'll
have to re-think our hopes of visiting a few next month.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-07-2013, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Precisely that is one of the forecast effects. If it's too heavy, the
rain could do a lot of damage and if gardens really are spoiled, we'll
have to re-think our hopes of visiting a few next month.

One of the forecasts this morning said heavy thunder showers some with
heavy hail.
If they don't get washed out they can be beaten to death.
Old 22-07-2013, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-22 12:29:55 +0000, David Hill said:

Precisely that is one of the forecast effects. If it's too heavy, the
rain could do a lot of damage and if gardens really are spoiled, we'll
have to re-think our hopes of visiting a few next month.

One of the forecasts this morning said heavy thunder showers some with
heavy hail.
If they don't get washed out they can be beaten to death.

As always with British weather, it seems that if it's not one thing,
it's another!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 22-07-2013, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-22 12:29:55 +0000, David Hill said:

Precisely that is one of the forecast effects. If it's too heavy, the
rain could do a lot of damage and if gardens really are spoiled, we'll
have to re-think our hopes of visiting a few next month.

One of the forecasts this morning said heavy thunder showers some with
heavy hail.
If they don't get washed out they can be beaten to death.

As always with British weather, it seems that if it's not one thing,
it's another!

And it will take the final petals off that white climbing rose
20flowers/Rose04_zps46973b98.jpg
David
Old 22-07-2013, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Chris Hogg wrote:
Be better to get hours of gentle rain putting down the same amount of
water as a downpour does in 30 mins. A lot of the down pour will just
run off the hard, bone dry, ground. Gentle rain over an exteneded
period will tend to soak in far more.

Yes, I know that slow and steady is the ideal, but a downpour will be
better than nothing.

Would at least re-fill the water butts