Old 23-07-2013, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Know your Bonfire

As the bonfire thread has been taken over, I thought I would try to
enlighten some of you as to how you can be clobbered for having a 'bonfire'.
Let's hope that this one is not taken over by the 'get at Mike' brigade.

New people to gardening might like to check up on what and when they can
have a bonfire.

In your area there might be a bye law about having bonfires after a certain
time at night.

There might be no rules and regulations at all BUT, you can still be had by
your neighbours if you are a persistent 'bonfire maniac'.
If you have one of these in your area, keep a log, but here again, your
local council may only be interested in taking up your case of 'nuisance' if
the frequency is less than once a month.

Burning rubbish. Now this can be a downfall for you. I 'believe', (not
'sure' before someone has a go at me) that it is illegal to burn off cable
under the guise of a bonfire in your garden. No use starting your fire off
in the normal way, then stripping off that cable on 'your bonfire' :-(

Basically, a bonfire is OK with garden waste and as long as it is not too
frequent and not smoking anybody out during their BBQ

Let's see if we can keep this to bonfires for the benefit of the new
gardener.

Let's have some 'experiences' of bonfire problems and 'successful' bonfires.

Mike

Old 23-07-2013, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/2013 15:44, 'Mike' wrote:
[...]

A near neighbour to me is a roofer. From time to time he has a bonfire
which issues heavy black smoke, so I assume he is burning old roofing
materials. I spoke to the council, they said keep a diary then take him
to court, produce the diary as evidence. I stupidly thought the council
would deal with this as it will surely come under pollution.
Old 23-07-2013, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Lots of questions and observations to make here Broadback.

Not committing a crime to produce black smoke. UNLESS it is interfering with
your pleasure. i.e. blowing across your garden at a time when it is
reasonable to assume you would be out in your garden for your leisure.

Could be committing a crime if there is a local bye law saying 'No Bonfires'

Could be committing the 'Nuisance Crime' if he insists on have a 'nuisance
bonfire' every Monday morning when the washing is out. (Check the tenants
Bye Laws on hanging washing out. You as a tenant, (if that applies) could be
committing a breach of your tenancy if you are hanging washing out. (This
applies to the case I quoted in the other thread which was hi-jacked)

And finally the Council. If it is a 'nuisance' to your pleasure, it could
very well be a Council matter and what they are saying is a quick and cheap
way out, but by all means keep a log, with if possible photographic evidence
with time and date, THEN chuck it at the council

Hope that helps, but all cases are different.

By the way, are you ex RAF?

Best wishes

Mike

Old 23-07-2013, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

."Broadback" wrote in message ...

A near neighbour to me is a roofer. From time to time he has a bonfire
which issues heavy black smoke, so I assume he is burning old roofing
materials. I spoke to the council, they said keep a diary then take him to
court, produce the diary as evidence. I stupidly thought the council would
deal with this as it will surely come under pollution.

More a responsibility of The Environment Agency as polution is involved, not
the council I would have thought.

Pete (now operating a no bonfires policy at Nanneys Bridge Nursery !! )

Old 24-07-2013, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/2013 17:30, Pete wrote:

."Broadback" wrote in message ...

A near neighbour to me is a roofer. From time to time he has a bonfire
which issues heavy black smoke, so I assume he is burning old roofing
materials. I spoke to the council, they said keep a diary then take
him to court, produce the diary as evidence. I stupidly thought the
council would deal with this as it will surely come under pollution.

More a responsibility of The Environment Agency as polution is involved,
not the council I would have thought.

Pete (now operating a no bonfires policy at Nanneys Bridge Nursery !! )

I am indeed Mike, what ever made you ask?

Old 25-07-2013, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/2013 15:44, 'Mike' wrote:

Basically, a bonfire is OK with garden waste and as long as it is not
too frequent and not smoking anybody out during their BBQ

Let's see if we can keep this to bonfires for the benefit of the new
gardener.

Let's have some 'experiences' of bonfire problems and 'successful'
bonfires.

Mike

My bonfires are only ever with diseased material that I don't want to
compost and is already tinder dry. I once had the fire brigade turn up
to a previous house on a Sunday afternoon after I had burnt off some
dead raspberry stems in bulk. A neighbour reported seeing large flames.

The firemen were very decent about it as by the time they arrived there
was just a tiny pile of innocent looking ash. The flames did get a bit
high but there was plenty of room and nothing combustible within 20'.

These days I have a larger garden and back onto a field. I only have a
bonfire if the wind is in the right direction to take any smoke away
from neighbours. One neighbour has an annoying habit of "burning" wet
leaves in bulk for the entire or autumn which makes him a bit unpopular.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 25-07-2013, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:29:40 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

On 23/07/2013 17:30, Pete wrote:

."Broadback" wrote in message ...

A near neighbour to me is a roofer. From time to time he has a bonfire
which issues heavy black smoke, so I assume he is burning old roofing
materials. I spoke to the council, they said keep a diary then take
him to court, produce the diary as evidence. I stupidly thought the
council would deal with this as it will surely come under pollution.

More a responsibility of The Environment Agency as polution is involved,
not the council I would have thought.

Pete (now operating a no bonfires policy at Nanneys Bridge Nursery !! )

I am indeed Mike, what ever made you ask?

Because he has a weird thing about ex-service people. He likes to
attach himself to them and bathe in reflected glory. Take any claims
about his own 'service' with a large dose of salt - he was a wireman
on an RN shore establishment during national service.
You will have heard the expression 'a walt'? That's him.
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Walts
Old 25-07-2013, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If you would like to check just one part of your statement, I think you will
find that 'Wireman' went out with the formation of the Electrical Branch in
1947, eleven years before I went into the Royal Navy for my National
Service.

Kindest regards

Mike

Old 25-07-2013, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 23/07/2013 17:30, Pete wrote:

."Broadback" wrote in message ...

[...]

You still have not written what made you think I might be ex RAF.

Old 25-07-2013, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

These days I have a larger garden and back onto a field. I only have a
bonfire if the wind is in the right direction to take any smoke away
from neighbours.

Ditto; avoiding any washing days. As it's always dry material burning
hot and fast there's little smoke anyway. Our bonfires are big but
don''t smoulder on for hours.

Janet
Old 26-07-2013, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/2013 14:57, 'Mike' wrote:
75th entry RAF Apprentices?

Mike

"Broadback" wrote in message ...
On 23/07/2013 17:30, Pete wrote:

."Broadback" wrote in message ...

A near neighbour to me is a roofer. From time to time he has a bonfire
which issues heavy black smoke, so I assume he is burning old roofing
materials. I spoke to the council, they said keep a diary then take
him to court, produce the diary as evidence. I stupidly thought the
council would deal with this as it will surely come under pollution.

More a responsibility of The Environment Agency as polution is involved,
not the council I would have thought.

Pete (now operating a no bonfires policy at Nanneys Bridge Nursery !! )

I am indeed Mike, what ever made you ask?

Give the man a lollipop!
Old 26-07-2013, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 09:53:10 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

On 25/07/2013 14:57, 'Mike' wrote:
75th entry RAF Apprentices?

Mike

"Broadback" wrote in message ...
On 23/07/2013 17:30, Pete wrote:

."Broadback" wrote in message ...

A near neighbour to me is a roofer. From time to time he has a bonfire
which issues heavy black smoke, so I assume he is burning old roofing
materials. I spoke to the council, they said keep a diary then take
him to court, produce the diary as evidence. I stupidly thought the
council would deal with this as it will surely come under pollution.

More a responsibility of The Environment Agency as polution is involved,
not the council I would have thought.

Pete (now operating a no bonfires policy at Nanneys Bridge Nursery !! )

I am indeed Mike, what ever made you ask?

Give the man a lollipop!

Service records. That's how he latches onto people.
Old 26-07-2013, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Qwight I wonder if you ever get anything right. As usual you are wrong again

Never mind, if it keeps you amused :-))

Kindest regards and thanks for giving us all a laugh. Keep it up.

:-)

"Qwight" wrote in message

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 09:53:10 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

On 25/07/2013 14:57, 'Mike' wrote:
75th entry RAF Apprentices?

Mike