Old 23-07-2013, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Very welcome rain

Thunderstorms all last night with torrential rain here in Leics.
Perked the veggie plot up no end - no amount of watering is as good as a
downpour.

Downside was a text from Blight Alert for my postcode..great service, btw,
if you grow potatoes.

Tina

Old 23-07-2013, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 18:35:39 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Thunderstorms all last night with torrential rain here in Leics.
Perked the veggie plot up no end - no amount of watering is as good as a
downpour.

Downside was a text from Blight Alert for my postcode..great service, btw,
if you grow potatoes.

Tina

Rain, what rain?

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-07-2013, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Thunderstorms all last night with torrential rain here in Leics.

Perked the veggie plot up no end - no amount of watering is as good as a

downpour.

Downside was a text from Blight Alert for my postcode..great service, btw,

if you grow potatoes.

Tina

Rain, what rain?

Pam in Bristol

Lots of it in NW Bristol Pam, terrific thunderstorm
about 03.00hrs this morning with v. heavy rain.

Jenny
Old 23-07-2013, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote ...

Thunderstorms all last night with torrential rain here in Leics.
Perked the veggie plot up no end - no amount of watering is as good as a
downpour.

Downside was a text from Blight Alert for my postcode..great service, btw,
if you grow potatoes.

I was woken up in the night by a thunder storm some way away and rain, then
when I got up and went to check and we had got 0.9 mm. Later another belt of
rain and it went up to 2.3 mm. So not much use for the plants.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 24-07-2013, 01:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote ...

Thunderstorms all last night with torrential rain here in Leics.
Perked the veggie plot up no end - no amount of watering is as good as a
downpour.

Downside was a text from Blight Alert for my postcode..great service, btw,
if you grow potatoes.

I was woken up in the night by a thunder storm some way away and rain,
then when I got up and went to check and we had got 0.9 mm. Later another
belt of rain and it went up to 2.3 mm. So not much use for the plants.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Must have had have had a whole lot more than you did then. I have to go
under a bridge to get to my plot it was impassible until this a.m until it
all drained away.
I have a lovely pic somewhere on my computer with a car stuck under the
bridge up to he got out via his sunroof as he thought he could beat the
water. In the same pic, the fire brigade are there pumping out the water
and asking themselves: why if you see deep water under a bridge do you even
try it?
I am very used to my bridge and I know how much water is safe to plough
through.
I wish I had a 4x4 and charge them 20 quid to pull them out.

The bridge is very deceiving, the road dips down under it and I know very
well whether to chance it or take a detour when it's flooded.

I might put up the pic on my flickr page so you can see not to chance the
bridge with water underneath

Old 24-07-2013, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-24 10:32:51 +0100, Martin said:
snip

Still have had no rain here. The next rain is forecast for the
weekend.
Even did the traditional rain dance with a garden hose yesterday
evening. It had no effect.

Tiny sprinkling of rain overnight but it didn't even wet the ground
under overhanging shrubs. Otoh, dark clouds are building up now and
it's overcast with the occasional ray of sun. It's still warm too!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-07-2013, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Thunderstorms all last night with torrential rain here in Leics.
Perked the veggie plot up no end - no amount of watering is as good as
a downpour.

Downside was a text from Blight Alert for my postcode..great service,
btw, if you grow potatoes.

Tina

Rain, rain and rain here too. Very nice!
Is it a bit late now for potato blight?

Baz
Old 24-07-2013, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote
Inviting the world press to stand on a pavement outside a London
hospital for two weeks waiting for the next full moon appears to have
worked too.

They have to get their own back on the press somehow.
Anyway, you might mock. I'll have you know several 'Merican tourists
pronounced the event as "Ahhsome" to any available tv person wielding a
microphone.

--
Sue

Old 24-07-2013, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

No, no. Just wash the car. No need to buy all that barbecue stuff!

Well the car was washed this morning for the first time in well over a
year, It was OK whilst the dust and pollen etc was spread evenly over
it, but the slight shower over night was just enough to streak it and
make it look dirty, so we will see, so far it's just getting hotter and
the few clouds are getting smaller and fewer, though the rain radar
shows showers moving up the coast of Cornwall and Devon and heading for us..