Old 24-07-2013, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Billhook

"Dave Liquorice" wrote
Here we a

http://billhooks.co.uk/edge-tool-mak...akers/handles/

Some form of the latter. (Warning: you might spend a lot of time
exploring that site...)

My parents had an old one when I was a child, very like the Elwell (item
2017) on that page. It was used for splitting kindling for the fire. I
bet it's still there somewhere in their shed.
--
Sue

Old 24-07-2013, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:21:10 +0200, Martin wrote:

It's called a hedge slasher, which is not the same as billhook.

A hedge slasher has a long, 4 feet or so, handle doesn't it? Used for
slashing back the growth ona hedge leaving the heavier longer growths
to be laid.

The laying is done with a bill hook, partially cutting through the
uprights created above and bending them over, weaving between stakes
driven into the ground along the hedge. Stakes made from the
thinings.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 24-07-2013, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-24 00:17:24 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote
Would that have been used for hedge laying too?
--

Yes. Perfect tool for that. It's why it's called a hedge splasher here!

That's what made me wonder! Sounds like a nice find.

I was brought up with a Bill hook being the short tool and the long
handled one being a Slasher/
David @ a still hot and sunny side of Swansea Bay.
Old 25-07-2013, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 10:18:35 +0200, Martin wrote:

You snipped the bit where she called it a splasher? Why?

Brain read what it wanted to read not what was there... that is I
didn't spot the typo.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 25-07-2013, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"

Slashers, ITYF

Mine has a top blade too.

Proper billhook. (Hatchet-on-a-stick)

Slasher handles *can* be obtained from old-fasioned ironmongers. Hickory
is best - I always manage to break ash handles in pretty short order,
even when linseed-oiled..

--
Rusty Hinge

Old 25-07-2013, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-23 21:35:40 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:
I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have
it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and
watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle,
she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

I remember thoroughly enjoying using one when I was a child,
when pruning apple trees. The one I used (which was probably
1930s vintage) had far more of a hook-shaped blade (like a
capital letter J) than any I've seen since.

Must remember to try to find another...

Mine has a J shaped blade with another blade on the top so you can
swipe both ways and now it's amazingly sharp..
My house was built in the 30's so maybe it's of that vintage. Just
have to get a handle for it, although I can use it without one as the
iron bit wot had one on once is still there.
To fit a new handle, the top bit would have be sawn off, as there is
something round there that presumably kept the original handle on and
would prevent a new handle being fitted.
Assuming I can find a new handle, and I might be able to, I will have
a lovely old hedge splasher up and running.

Would that have been used for hedge laying too?

No - too long.

A short-handled hook or slasher *might* be used by some, but a short
'pointy' bowsaw or pruning saw is more use.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 25-07-2013, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/13 15:11, David Hill wrote:
I was brought up with a Bill hook being the short tool and the long
handled one being a Slasher/
David @ a still hot and sunny side of Swansea Bay.

Bill hook doubled as a foot-soldier's weapon (when I were a lad...), and
is, I think, properly on a long handle, though one with a short handle
like a hatchet's is called a billhook too.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 25-07-2013, 03:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/13 09:19, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:11:23 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

I was brought up with a Bill hook being the short tool and the long
handled one being a Slasher/

Me too! Neither were called "splashers".

Slashers come in a variety of lenghths, from hatchet-length to
scrape-the-sky.

The difference lies in the shape (and usually, weight) of the blade.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 25-07-2013, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/13 00:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:

There is at least one on eBay (£6.20 inc)... I'm not sure how you fix
the tang into the handle, just shoving it into a hole in the handle
won't work reliably as use will make it work loose...

A good eye, a spoke-shave and trial and error.

Clean out the flakes of rust, etc from the socket. If there is an old
rivet through it (side-to-side), cut it through with a padsaw - you can
get one (Eclipse make one which takes a hacksaw blade, which should be
fitted so it cuts when you drawit towards you).

When the socket fits the head *snugly*, tap it in by holding it upright
and banging the non-business end on a piece of wood.

Drill through the shoulder so the hole is in line with both holes in the
head. I mark the positions and remove the head and drill the hole
(carefully), then refit the head. Drilling in situ *can* be done, but
it's easy togo off line, and this makes for a weak spot.

Generally, I find a nail which fits tightly into all the holes, cut both
ends off the nail leaving about ¼" proud each side, then find an old
flatiron, cobbler's last, iron weight or best of all, an anvil, and
mushroom over your nail until it completely fills the countersink on the
blade's skirt.

Finish with a file.

--
Rusty Hinge
Old 25-07-2013, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
RustyHinge wrote:

Clean out the flakes of rust, etc from the socket. If there is an old
rivet through it (side-to-side), cut it through with a padsaw - you can
get one (Eclipse make one which takes a hacksaw blade, which should be
fitted so it cuts when you drawit towards you).

Heck, just wrap some insulating tape around a hacksaw blade - a
broken one can often be turned into one of those.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 26-07-2013, 02:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 13:21:10 +0200, Martin wrote:

It's called a hedge slasher, which is not the same as billhook.

A hedge slasher has a long, 4 feet or so, handle doesn't it? Used for
slashing back the growth ona hedge leaving the heavier longer growths
to be laid.

The laying is done with a bill hook, partially cutting through the
uprights created above and bending them over, weaving between stakes
driven into the ground along the hedge. Stakes made from the
thinings.

We call a hedge slasher just what I found, a billhook with a top blade.
Your view differs.

So interesting to know what your idea of it is.

Old 26-07-2013, 03:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"RustyHinge" wrote in message
On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it
back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she
will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"

Slashers, ITYF

No, we call them hedge splashers here.

Mine has a top blade too.

Proper billhook. (Hatchet-on-a-stick)

Slasher handles *can* be obtained from old-fasioned ironmongers. Hickory
is best - I always manage to break ash handles in pretty short order, even
when linseed-oiled..

I hope to find a handle for it, as I have some brambles that might not want
to see it.
I was lucky to find someone to sharpen my axes and billhook and I tell you
what, they are so so sharp now, I'm slightly afraid of them.
In case you wonder, I need an axe, I have a woodburner.

Old 26-07-2013, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tuesday, July 23, 2013 9:35:40 PM UTC+1, Christina Websell wrote:

Assuming I can find a new handle, and I might be able to, I will have a

lovely old hedge splasher up and running.

Tina

Try a farm supply shop. The on in Stow-on-the-Wold certainly stock handles for all sorts of tools.

Jonathan
Old 28-07-2013, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/13 09:37, David Hill wrote:

The handle end of the blade should taper to almost a point.
This was inserted into the handle then the sprig that was protruding
from the back of the handle was hammered over to fix it

Most slashers' heads are forged so that a skirt is formed on the bottom
end, into which socket the handle is fixed.

The type with the tang through the handle is *very* weak, and the wood
must be capped at the blade end with a ferrule.

--
Rusty Hinge