Old 23-07-2013, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Billhook

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

Tina

Old 23-07-2013, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

They're really useful tools - mine was left in the garage by the
previous owner, along with a few other useful bits and pieces.

Old 23-07-2013, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:
I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

I remember thoroughly enjoying using one when I was a child,
when pruning apple trees. The one I used (which was probably
1930s vintage) had far more of a hook-shaped blade (like a
capital letter J) than any I've seen since.

Must remember to try to find another...

Old 23-07-2013, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
On 23/07/13 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:
I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it
back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she
will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

I remember thoroughly enjoying using one when I was a child,
when pruning apple trees. The one I used (which was probably
1930s vintage) had far more of a hook-shaped blade (like a
capital letter J) than any I've seen since.

Must remember to try to find another...

Mine has a J shaped blade with another blade on the top so you can swipe
both ways and now it's amazingly sharp..
My house was built in the 30's so maybe it's of that vintage. Just have to
get a handle for it, although I can use it without one as the iron bit wot
had one on once is still there.
To fit a new handle, the top bit would have be sawn off, as there is
something round there that presumably kept the original handle on and would
prevent a new handle being fitted.
Assuming I can find a new handle, and I might be able to, I will have a
lovely old hedge splasher up and running.

Tina

Old 23-07-2013, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/07/2013 19:08, Christina Websell wrote:
I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have it back
suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new handle and watch
out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a new handle, she will
cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

Tina

Those are collectors items, I suggest you try a google search for Bill
hooks they start at around £15 on ebay.
The shape depends on where they come from, and thus their use.
I seem to remember that the Norfolk bill had a flat spine so that the
blade was used to cut hazel or willow pieces used to hold the thatch on
a house whilst the back (Spine) was used to hammer them into the thatch.
Whilst the Sussex bill was used to cut Hazel the curved blade whilst the
back was a straight blade used to cut the hazel to length for hurdle making.
At one time there were well over 100 different patterns in use across
the UK.

Old 23-07-2013, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-23 21:35:40 +0100, Christina Websell said:

[...]

Would that have been used for hedge laying too?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-07-2013, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Would that have been used for hedge laying too?
--

Yes. Perfect tool for that. It's why it's called a hedge splasher here!

Old 24-07-2013, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 21:35:40 +0100, Christina Websell wrote:

Just have to get a handle for it, although I can use it without one as
the iron bit wot had one on once is still there.

The tang.

To fit a new handle, the top bit would have be sawn off, as there is
something round there that presumably kept the original handle on and
would prevent a new handle being fitted.

I find that a bit hard to understand. Chance of photo somewhere?
(with a directlink to the image file so we don't need "plugins" or
WHY to view a file that browsers can do without any "help").

Assuming I can find a new handle, and I might be able to, I will have a
lovely old hedge splasher up and running.

There is at least one on eBay (£6.20 inc)... I'm not sure how you fix
the tang into the handle, just shoving it into a hole in the handle
won't work reliably as use will make it work loose... Is there a hole
in the tang soa pin can be fitted through the handle and tang? or
maybe the tag goes right through the handle and is then hammered to
spread it out larger than the hole in the handle.

Here we a

http://billhooks.co.uk/edge-tool-mak...akers/handles/

Some form of the latter. (Warning: you might spend a lot of time
exploring that site...)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 24-07-2013, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Mine has a curved J blade and a square blade on top. Now very sharp, just
need a handle for
it to make it easier to use.

The person who sharpened it moaned about the rust but did a really good
job and I have to be very careful otherwise I might lose my fingers.

Tina

Old 24-07-2013, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
[...]

No. 40, William Swift.

Old 24-07-2013, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/23/2013 7:36 PM, Dave Liquorice wrote:

http://billhooks.co.uk/edge-tool-mak...akers/handles/

Some form of the latter. (Warning: you might spend a lot of time
exploring that site...)

Oooh...
I've bookmarked that - a whole bunch of my favourite things - tools,
gardening, etymology, history.
Old 24-07-2013, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/2013 00:38, Christina Websell wrote:
"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

The handle end of the blade should taper to almost a point.
This was inserted into the handle then the sprig that was protruding
from the back of the handle was hammered over to fix it

Old 24-07-2013, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/07/13 00:36, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Here we a

http://billhooks.co.uk/edge-tool-mak...akers/handles/

Some form of the latter. (Warning: you might spend a lot of time
exploring that site...)

How delightfully obsessive The only surprise is that he has
a page describing his other hobbies.

"My" old billhook was definitely a "Monmouth pattern"
rather than "Staffordshire pattern", and looks to be
a Kent billhook.

(Thanks for the necessary warning.)

Old 24-07-2013, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-24 00:17:24 +0100, Christina Websell said:

"Sacha" wrote
Would that have been used for hedge laying too?
--

Yes. Perfect tool for that. It's why it's called a hedge splasher here!

That's what made me wonder! Sounds like a nice find.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 24-07-2013, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

I dug one up in my garden a while ago, very rusty and with no handle.
I got a kind friend of mine to sharpen it on her grindstone and have
it back suitable to slash anything in its path. Just need a new
handle and watch out those brambles ;-) My friend says if I can get a
new handle, she will cut the top stop off and put it on for me.
Here we call them "hedge splashers"
Mine has a top blade too.

They are an amazing price to buy on the internet:
http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

Tina

I am surprised that you can buy them over the internet!
A very dangerous tool in the wrong hands.
I have seen them at car boot markets and always assumed that they were a
butchers tool. Especially the ones which have chopper like an axe on the
back of them.

Baz