Old 23-07-2013, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Botanical Garden

Looking back through my recent holiday diary, I came
across the entry for Tromso in northern Norway.

It has the best botanical garden I have ever visited.
Full of high level alpine & other plants all growing
at sea level. I'm not a botanist, just a gerdener, but
the layout of this garden was superb. Eack bed had all
round access, with little stepping stone or rock paths
across it so that it was possible to access virtually
every plant and read the label (all hand written!.

It is recognised as the worlds most northerly
botanical garden, taking over the title from I recall
somewhere in Siberia a few years back when it was
establish by the university.

Entrance is free, and it is open 24 hours a day! (As
Tromso is well north of the arctic circle it does have
24hr daylight for a couple of months in the summer).
Probably not worth visiting in the winter.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Old 23-07-2013, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Benefits from the Gulf Stream. Looking for a cruise to go there at some time
or other.

Mike

In theory, that should keep the are warm, where as
most of the plants were high level colg loving things.

We got there on a cruise, it is about 10 mins walk
from the cruise terminal.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales