GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bay Sucker (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207870-bay-sucker.html)

Derek Turner 25-07-2013 08:55 PM

Bay Sucker

Oh dear! Our container 'lollipop' bay finally gets new growth (after
sulking through a very cold spring) and now all the new growth is hit by
bay sucker. What is the best nuclear option for this, please?

Spider[_3_] 25-07-2013 10:44 PM

Bay Sucker

On 25/07/2013 20:55, Derek Turner wrote:
Oh dear! Our container 'lollipop' bay finally gets new growth (after
sulking through a very cold spring) and now all the new growth is hit by
bay sucker. What is the best nuclear option for this, please?

I used to pick the leaves off by hand and dispose of them. It leaves
the tree instantly clean with no pesticide use, which is important if
you intend to cook with them. Alas my tree is too big now.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Jeff Layman[_2_] 26-07-2013 07:21 PM

Bay Sucker

On 25/07/2013 20:55, Derek Turner wrote:
Oh dear! Our container 'lollipop' bay finally gets new growth (after
sulking through a very cold spring) and now all the new growth is hit by
bay sucker. What is the best nuclear option for this, please?

Well, if it's a severe infestation, and you don't intend to use any of
the leaves for culinary purposes in the near future, you might as well
use a systemic insecticide such as thiacloprid. See "Chemical control" at:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=505

--

Jeff

rbel[_2_] 27-07-2013 05:17 PM

Bay Sucker

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013 19:21:05 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 25/07/2013 20:55, Derek Turner wrote:
Oh dear! Our container 'lollipop' bay finally gets new growth (after
sulking through a very cold spring) and now all the new growth is hit by
bay sucker. What is the best nuclear option for this, please?

Well, if it's a severe infestation, and you don't intend to use any of
the leaves for culinary purposes in the near future, you might as well
use a systemic insecticide such as thiacloprid. See "Chemical control" at:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=505

That is what I used on our pair of half standard bays last autumn and
again in early spring this year - five applications in all, but it
eventually did work and no sight of any for four months now.
--
rbel