GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Grrrr....cabbage whites.... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207880-grrrr-cabbage-whites.html)

mark 05-08-2013 11:50 AM

Grrrr....cabbage whites....

"Malcolm" wrote in message

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...7897/The-UKs-b
iggest-ever-survey-to-find-the-most-common-butterfly-in-British-gardens.

We've seen lots here and the only brassicas we grow at present are the
plants we have for sale. They're all looking quite well so I wonder what
the butterflies are using for food.

pedant mode
The butterflies aren't using anything for food, except a bit of nectar!
Their caterpillars on the other hand..........
/pedant

Lots of cabbage whites in the garden today. I was toying with the idea of a
butterfly net in an attempt to resolve the problem.
Careful examination of the broccoli heads reveal the eggs. They do rinse off
with a bit of effort but it's a slow process and my previous love of
broccoli is waning.

mark

Janet 05-08-2013 12:12 PM

Grrrr....cabbage whites....

In article ,
says...

Lots of cabbage whites in the garden today. I was toying with the idea of a
butterfly net in an attempt to resolve the problem.
Careful examination of the broccoli heads reveal the eggs. They do rinse off
with a bit of effort but it's a slow process and my previous love of
broccoli is waning.

On the flower heads?

They usually lay the eggs close together in a postage stamp sized
patch on the underside of a leaf. I just tear out that small patch. The
hole you leave won't kill the leaf, it's nothing to the ones the
caterpillars would have made.

Janet.

mark 05-08-2013 07:16 PM

Grrrr....cabbage whites....

"Janet" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

Lots of cabbage whites in the garden today. I was toying with the idea of
butterfly net in an attempt to resolve the problem.
Careful examination of the broccoli heads reveal the eggs. They do rinse
off
with a bit of effort but it's a slow process and my previous love of
broccoli is waning.

On the flower heads?

They usually lay the eggs close together in a postage stamp sized
patch on the underside of a leaf. I just tear out that small patch. The
hole you leave won't kill the leaf, it's nothing to the ones the
caterpillars would have made.

Janet.

Yes on the flower heads. they are dotted about at random not in a grid like
formation.

mark