Old 27-07-2013, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tiny pink moth ID please

Presently clinging to our bedroom ceiling is a very small, very pink
moth. It's not one we're familiar with and Ray's attempt to take a
photo of it is defeated by the height of the ceiling and the size of
the moth! I'm not at all sure there are any distinguishing marks on it
but the wings seem to be a slightly deeper pink towards the bottom. I
would think it's about an inch or so long. If anyone has any idea as to
what it might be we'd be grateful to hear it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-07-2013, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/07/2013 23:15, Sacha wrote:
Presently clinging to our bedroom ceiling is a very small, very pink
moth. It's not one we're familiar with and Ray's attempt to take a
photo of it is defeated by the height of the ceiling and the size of the
moth! I'm not at all sure there are any distinguishing marks on it but
the wings seem to be a slightly deeper pink towards the bottom. I would
think it's about an inch or so long. If anyone has any idea as to what
it might be we'd be grateful to hear it.

I don't know it off hand, but I googled on small pink moth and was given
a good choice. If you don't have a good guide book, this may be your
best approach. Good luck and do let us know what it is if you find it.
I've been trying to id a caterpillar from my garden and think it may
soon be a Muslin Moth.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 28-07-2013, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-28 08:16:44 +0000, Malcolm said:

In article , Sacha
writes
Presently clinging to our bedroom ceiling is a very small, very pink
moth. It's not one we're familiar with and Ray's attempt to take a
photo of it is defeated by the height of the ceiling and the size of
the moth! I'm not at all sure there are any distinguishing marks on it
but the wings seem to be a slightly deeper pink towards the bottom. I
would think it's about an inch or so long. If anyone has any idea as to
what it might be we'd be grateful to hear it.

A moth an inch long is not "very small", but quite large!

Is it anything like this?

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=3580

No, not at all, I'm afraid.

Try half an inch perhaps - I'm really bad at judging such things from a
distance. It flew a little lower last night onto a sloping part of our
bedroom ceiling. It's very pink but seemed to have black spots along
the wings, which we couldn't see before. It's now disappeared so I
have no chance of seeing it again, unless it decides to visit. I've
never seen one like it. I suppose it may be a butterfly that wandered
in by accident but all its behaviour leads me to think 'moth'. Ray took
a couple of photos when it was higher up and tomorrow, I'll post them.
But they really are very unclear, so I'm not sure they'll help. It was
the overall 'pinkness' that struck me.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-07-2013, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 18:55:57 +0100, sacha wrote:

Is it anything like this?

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=3580

No, not at all, I'm afraid.

How about:

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=34

Ruby Tiger, more red than pink but judging by other photos on the web
proporting to be Ruby Tigers there is a broad range of colour.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 28-07-2013, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-28 08:16:44 +0000, Malcolm said:

In article , Sacha
writes
[...]

Burnet moths are pinkish-red, mostly with black spots dominating. Some
types have less black than others. See http://tinyurl.com/m7xwpjv,
One of them, the common forester, has quite a lot of colour.
see http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/life/Zygaenidae

Then there's the Ruby Tiger moth, see
http://www.gardenersworld.com/blogs/...moth/4076.html

Elephant Hawk moths are also pinkish, especially the small EHM, see
http://geography.wincoll.ac.uk/jjcsk...240ukmoths.htm and scroll
down about 3/4 of the way.

None of those I'm afraid and Elephant Hawk Moths are far too big for
the one we've seen. Here is a wretchedly poor photo of it but the
thready little spider above may give a scale. The moth was more
clearly pinky coral in colour than the photo shows.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9386049499/
When that photo was taken it was on the highest part of our bedroom
ceiling, so about 2 or 3' above Ray's upstretched arms and he's about
6' tall.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-07-2013, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-29 07:32:40 +0100, Malcolm said:

snip

It's a Rosy Footman.

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=4379

What a fabulousname! That must be it, I think, though I couldn't see
the lines, only dots. Many thanks, Malcolm.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-07-2013, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-29 07:32:40 +0100, Malcolm said:
snip
It's a Rosy Footman.

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=4379

And here's another morning visitor on the side of my bedside table.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9392426330/
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-07-2013, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-28 08:16:44 +0000, Malcolm said:

In article , Sacha
writes
[...]

If it's any help, the spider near your wallpaper is Pholcus
phalangioides. Still don't recognise the moth. Sorry.

Old 29-07-2013, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-29 12:37:19 +0100, Spider said:

On 28/07/2013 23:25, Sacha wrote:
snipy
coral in colour than the photo shows.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9386049499/
When that photo was taken it was on the highest part of our bedroom
ceiling, so about 2 or 3' above Ray's upstretched arms and he's about 6'
tall.

If it's any help, the spider near your wallpaper is Pholcus
phalangioides. Still don't recognise the moth. Sorry.

The spider is the most common one in this house. For some reason, they
really like it here! But Malcolm identified the moth as a Rosy Footman
- something I've always wanted. ;-)) We get lots of beautiful moths
here and I'm hopeless at knowing which is which. But while they're
rarely as colourful as their butterfly cousins, their markings are
often truly lovely.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-07-2013, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:37:19 +0100, Spider wrote:

If it's any help, the spider near your wallpaper is Pholcus
Phalangioides.

Or cellar spider, plenty of them in this house. Which reminds me I've
been instructed to evict two from the bathroom... later Tiddly
ones, half inch across the legs max, there was a big one in the
understairs cupboard the other day nearly 3" across.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 29-07-2013, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
On 2013-07-29 07:32:40 +0100, Malcolm said:
snip
It's a Rosy Footman.
http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=4379

And here's another morning visitor on the side of my bedside table.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/93694401@N03/9392426330/

That's a Barred Straw.

http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?bf=1758

Thank you again! I did actually find that just a few minutes ago,
thanks to the site you directed me to for the Rosy Footman. I've
bookmarked that for future reference because it's a really good source
of information.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-07-2013, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-29 13:40:05 +0000, Dave Liquorice said:

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:37:19 +0100, Spider wrote:

If it's any help, the spider near your wallpaper is Pholcus
Phalangioides.

Or cellar spider, plenty of them in this house. Which reminds me I've
been instructed to evict two from the bathroom... later Tiddly
ones, half inch across the legs max, there was a big one in the
understairs cupboard the other day nearly 3" across.

That's the reason the understairs cupboard and I are total strangers to
each other!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com