Old 29-07-2013, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can I Recover this Rose?

Hi all

I have a rose that was transplanted early this year (long story) to the
position shown on this photo http://a360.co/16t7tZS (please paste to
browser)

It is south facing, but not too exposed.

The picture isn't abundantly clear so I will try to describe.

There is a gnarled old stem to the left which appears dead and has white
licheny sort of stuff stuck to it.
There is a more recent, but fairly ailing stem about 1/2in diameter
curving to the right and then up, supporting the blooms that can be seen.
There are two new stems which have appeared just this year, supported by
the left and centre bamboo canes.

The new growth is coming from the base of the plant. I think the
original plant was a cutting, so I don't think the two new stems are
suckers.

Other than it being a climber I know nothing about the variety.
It does produce excellent blooms though.

The plant is of sentimental value as it was grown by my late grandfather.

So the question is, how do I treat it pruning etc from here on?
Also, anyone take a guess at variety?

The plant you see is 25 years old taken from a plant of probably similar
age.

If it can be nursed back to health, I would like to move the rose again.
How long should I give it to "recover" before attempting this?

Thanks in advance

Phil
Old 29-07-2013, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 13:55:58 +0100, thescullster
wrote:

There is a gnarled old stem to the left which appears dead and has white
licheny sort of stuff stuck to it.

It does look dead but just to make sure try cutting it down by half at
a time (sort of binary pruning). If you ever see live wood stop. If
you reach the graft point first it's had it.

Steve

Old 29-07-2013, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

There is a gnarled old stem to the left which appears dead and has white
licheny sort of stuff stuck to it.

It does look dead but just to make sure try cutting it down by half at
a time (sort of binary pruning). If you ever see live wood stop. If
you reach the graft point first it's had it.

Steve

Thanks Steve

I was kind of looking for a whole plant type treatment.
The small twigs off the stem with the blooms are also dying back in
parts. Should I be giving this stem the binary treatment (once) to push
all growth into the new shoots?

Phil
Old 29-07-2013, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2013 13:55, thescullster wrote:
[...]

For the time being, it would be good to prune out all the dead growth.
Since it's probably not established yet, I'm sure you could move it
again in the autumn. However, you must water it religiously once it's
moved, even if rain is forecast. It would also be a good idea to use
some of that Rootgrow fungal treatment to help it settle down. It may
even be worth staking it through its first winter, to avoid wind rock on
the roots, which will prevent it establishing.

I do wish you luck, but success is not guaranteed. If it had healthier
stem growth, I would advise progagating it, but I doubt there's enough
heaslthy tissue.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 29-07-2013, 09:15 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescullster View Post
Hi all

The new growth is coming from the base of the plant. I think the
original plant was a cutting, so I don't think the two new stems are
suckers.
If they were suckers, they would usually be of a species which has smaller leaflets and more pairs of leaflets than the ones in the picture. And there is no difference between the leaflets on the flowering stem and on the new shoots. So, you seem to be right that they're not suckers.

You shouldn't have a problem recovering this rose - I've had them come back from less. The thickness of the new shoot is an indication of a reasonably healthy root system.

I would prune out the dead branch, and the few dead twiglets on the new branches. Others will tell you whether it's possible to stimulate growth in this case by pruning, and how to do it. Bearing in mind its sentimental value, I'd be inclined to leave it in position to gain growth, then take cuttings and start a new plant for the new position, and only move or get rid of this one once you have a plant secure in the new position.

Old 30-07-2013, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2013 21:15, kay wrote:
thescullster;988611 Wrote:
Hi all

[...]

Thanks to Spider and Kay - your comments give me encouragement to persevere.

Phil