Old 30-07-2013, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rain Radar

Some people may be interested

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Mike

Old 30-07-2013, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/13 07:44, 'Mike' wrote:
Some people may be interested

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Or the very similar, but with a slightly easier URL to remember
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

I find them useful if I want to have a good guess
as to whether it will rain in the next hour or two.

Old 30-07-2013, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Tom I like that one as it shows the path of the rain. We have a
massive rain cloud over us now!! Have to go to the Theatre in a minute, I
guess it will be a dash from the car park!!

Mike

Old 30-07-2013, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

So does the netweather URL, but you have to (repeatedly)
turn the animation on/off.

The netweather URL also appears to indicate lightning,
but I've yet to assess the effectiveness.

Old 30-07-2013, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 08:52:11 +0100, Tom Gardner wrote:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=radar;sess=

Or the very similar, but with a slightly easier URL to remember
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Remember? That's what bookmarks are for! B-)

Niether of those work if you don't have javascript enabled.

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/?type=rain-snow-sleet

Does.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 30-07-2013, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/13 10:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Remember? That's what bookmarks are for! B-)

Oh, you lucky person, you've clearly only got one
machine one location, unlike me

Niether of those work if you don't have javascript enabled.

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/Home/?type=rain-snow-sleet

With javascript and adverts disabled, I can't zoom in

Old 30-07-2013, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Tom Gardner wrote:
On 30/07/13 10:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Remember? That's what bookmarks are for! B-)

Oh, you lucky person, you've clearly only got one
machine one location, unlike me

I use 3 machines regularly, and others on occasion, and still manage
to use bookmarks. And, no, they do not share home directories.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-07-2013, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:12:38 +0100, Tom Gardner wrote:

Remember? That's what bookmarks are for! B-)

Oh, you lucky person, you've clearly only got one machine one location,
unlike me

No I regularly use two differnt PC's with different OS's, one of the
PC's has two profiles that I switch between. I also have a tablet and
a smart phone...

With javascript and adverts disabled, I can't zoom in

But at least you can see something and it's animated the other two
don't even display a static map.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 30-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] View Post

On 30/07/13 07:44, 'Mike' wrote:
Some people may be interested

Weather Radar - Live UK Rainfall Radar - Netweather.tv

Or the very similar, but with a slightly easier URL to remember
Will it Rain Today? | Rain radar for the UK | Going to rain? | MeteoGroup

I find them useful if I want to have a good guess
as to whether it will rain in the next hour or two.
This one is also very useful as it cover the UK at 5min intervals, the whole of Europe at 15min intervals and will display lightning strikes as well so you can see where the thunder storms a

Rainradar UK | Rain radar for the UK and Europe - Will it rain on me today? - Rain fall UK

Old 30-07-2013, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:42:42 +0100, Tom Gardner wrote:

Any neat easy painless mechanisms for keeping ~3500 (20 year's worth,
gulp) bookmarks in sync across multiple machines would be welcome

Well the chances of anything 20 years old still being a valid
bookmark are pretty remote... I think you need an automated method of
going through them for 404's. B-)

My bookmarks file is 868 lines long, there might be 60 odd lines that
are not a bookmark... I also notice each entry has at least an
ADD_DATE="1174686932" entry, I wonder how old the oldest is?

Time to do a bit of Perl.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 30-07-2013, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/13 21:31, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:42:42 +0100, Tom Gardner wrote:

Any neat easy painless mechanisms for keeping ~3500 (20 year's worth,
gulp) bookmarks in sync across multiple machines would be welcome

Well the chances of anything 20 years old still being a valid
bookmark are pretty remote... I think you need an automated method of
going through them for 404's. B-)

That thought has crossed my mind, but actually some of
them are still valid and useful.

It used to be that if something was old and well-regarded
(i.e. many links to it) then a google search would turn it up.
Unfortunately google is now giving added weight to the new
(i.e unproven quality, transient), so re-locating something
good that's been around for a while is becoming more
problematical.

If only google would allow you to search for something
that is /older/ than 1 year, rather than merely less
than one year/month/week/day old.

Old 31-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gardner[_2_] View Post
[...]

Try using "The Wayback Machine" for archive content

Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine
Old 31-07-2013, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JT JT is offline

I have used "rain Today" premium for some years, it costs £25 a year and
worth every penny. Very useful mobile app. About to go out to play golf
y'day and it showed a heavy shower coming our way and it did. It gives you a
2 hour forecast. Only downside is I am popular with other members asking me
for rain forecasts!!

Netweather is superb for lightning strikes.

JT

Old 31-07-2013, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

-
[...]

Wayback Machine' (http://archive.org)

I've occasionally used that, but it is missing the point.

Content is (almost) useless if you can't find it via a search engine.