Old 30-07-2013, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aid to cut a small hedge straight

I have no eye, so my straight lines aren't. I try running string the
length of the hedge, but that does not work well, apart from anything
else I tend to keep cutting the string, also of course it bows in the
middle. Is there any way of ensuring I cut my mini hedge straight? I
have a laser level, but sadly that does not show up in the bright
outdoors. TIA
Old 30-07-2013, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2013 08:02, Broadback wrote:
I have no eye, so my straight lines aren't. I try running string the
length of the hedge, but that does not work well, apart from anything
else I tend to keep cutting the string, also of course it bows in the
middle. Is there any way of ensuring I cut my mini hedge straight? I
have a laser level, but sadly that does not show up in the bright
outdoors. TIA

An electric hedge trimmer makes it easier
Old 30-07-2013, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote in news:kt7o2f$hdm$1
@dont-email.me:

I have no eye, so my straight lines aren't. I try running string the
length of the hedge, but that does not work well, apart from anything
else I tend to keep cutting the string, also of course it bows in the
middle. Is there any way of ensuring I cut my mini hedge straight? I
have a laser level, but sadly that does not show up in the bright
outdoors. TIA

How small is small. Mine is hip height so I hold my trimmer yight
against my hip and walk along.
A plank or a clothes prop might replace the string - even reting it on
the top would show you the high points.

--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 30-07-2013, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-30 08:02:42 +0100, Broadback said:

I have no eye, so my straight lines aren't. I try running string the
length of the hedge, but that does not work well, apart from anything
else I tend to keep cutting the string, also of course it bows in the
middle. Is there any way of ensuring I cut my mini hedge straight? I
have a laser level, but sadly that does not show up in the bright
outdoors. TIA

Don't bother. Go all Piet Oudolf and have a 'cloud' hedge!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-07-2013, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-30 08:02:42 +0100, Broadback said:

I have no eye, so my straight lines aren't. I try running string the
length of the hedge, but that does not work well, apart from anything
else I tend to keep cutting the string, also of course it bows in the
middle. Is there any way of ensuring I cut my mini hedge straight? I
have a laser level, but sadly that does not show up in the bright
outdoors. TIA

Don't bother. Go all Piet Oudolf and have a 'cloud' hedge!

It is box hedge about calf height.

Old 30-07-2013, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2013 08:02, Broadback wrote:
I have no eye, so my straight lines aren't. I try running string the
length of the hedge, but that does not work well, apart from anything
else I tend to keep cutting the string, also of course it bows in the
middle. Is there any way of ensuring I cut my mini hedge straight? I
have a laser level, but sadly that does not show up in the bright
outdoors. TIA

If the ground on one side of the hedge is level, and there is enough
room, any chance of resting the hedgetrimmer on something and sliding it
along?

--

Jeff
Old 30-07-2013, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2013 08:02, Broadback wrote:

I have no eye, so my straight lines aren't. I try running string the
length of the hedge, but that does not work well, apart from anything
else I tend to keep cutting the string, also of course it bows in the
middle. Is there any way of ensuring I cut my mini hedge straight? I
have a laser level, but sadly that does not show up in the bright
outdoors. TIA

Length of scrap washing line or a piece of long thin wood as a straight
edge guide depending on what you are trying to cut and how accurately.

I generally do my big hedge by eye aided and abetted by my wife judging
it for straight from a distance. That way it isn't my fault. I also trim
it periodically when the sun is almost perpendicular to the front
surface to tidy up any stragglers that are sticking out.

It is incredibly difficult to judge straight lines from close to by eye
unless you have some easy way to hold the cutter at constant height.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 30-07-2013, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2013 10:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 30/07/2013 08:02, Broadback wrote:
I have no eye, so my straight lines aren't. I try running string the
length of the hedge, but that does not work well, apart from anything
else I tend to keep cutting the string, also of course it bows in the
middle. Is there any way of ensuring I cut my mini hedge straight? I
have a laser level, but sadly that does not show up in the bright
outdoors. TIA

If the ground on one side of the hedge is level, and there is enough
room, any chance of resting the hedgetrimmer on something and sliding it
along?

Sadly there is a drop of 2 metres on the other side, getting it even is
not too difficult with a hedge trimmer, the problem is it tends to
slope, I hope that makes sense.
Old 30-07-2013, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-07-30 08:02:42 +0100, Broadback said:

I have no eye, so my straight lines aren't. I try running string the
length of the hedge, but that does not work well, apart from anything
else I tend to keep cutting the string, also of course it bows in the
middle. Is there any way of ensuring I cut my mini hedge straight? I
have a laser level, but sadly that does not show up in the bright
outdoors. TIA

Don't bother. Go all Piet Oudolf and have a 'cloud' hedge!

It is box hedge about calf height.

That would still work. It could look rather pretty and would be unusual.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-07-2013, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2013 11:05, Broadback wrote:
On 30/07/2013 10:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 30/07/2013 08:02, Broadback wrote:
I have no eye, so my straight lines aren't. I try running string the
length of the hedge, but that does not work well, apart from anything
else I tend to keep cutting the string, also of course it bows in the
middle. Is there any way of ensuring I cut my mini hedge straight? I
have a laser level, but sadly that does not show up in the bright
outdoors. TIA

If the ground on one side of the hedge is level, and there is enough
room, any chance of resting the hedgetrimmer on something and sliding it
along?

Sadly there is a drop of 2 metres on the other side, getting it even is
not too difficult with a hedge trimmer, the problem is it tends to
slope, I hope that makes sense.

A drop of 2 metres? Is it on one side of a ha-ha?

One off-the-wall suggestion. Is the width of the hedge sufficient for a
flat board, maybe 30 cm wide and a 100 long? If so, the hedge should be
strong enough to take the weight of the board and hedgetrimmer. Cut one
end of the hedge to the desired height, maybe 130 cm long, then rest the
board on top of it with the hedgetrimmer on then front of the board at
an angle with the blade just in front of the board. Keep the board flat
on top the the cut hedge, and slowly slide it along. The hedge trimmer
should then keep cutting it level at the same height .

If you think this is crazy and can't possibly work, a neighbour used to
hire a guy to cut his 4-metre tall leylandii hedge. he did this by
having the hedgetrimmer at right angles on an extension arm, and walked
along the top of the hedge (which easily took his weight) cutting just
ahead of his boots with the hedgetrimmer!

I don't think the guy had heard of elf'n'safety...

--

Jeff

Old 30-07-2013, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

Bang stakes or canes into ground at intervals; then use a broad marker
or spray to mark the required finished height on each stake.

Cut hedge using marked stakes as guide.

Bear in mind that unless the hedge grows on absolutely level ground
you won't want to cut the whole length of hedge X " high. You want the
top to be level, which is not necessarily level height (IYSWIM).

Janet

Old 30-07-2013, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 11:05:05 +0100, Broadback wrote:

Sadly there is a drop of 2 metres on the other side, getting it even is
not too difficult with a hedge trimmer, the problem is it tends to
slope, I hope that makes sense.

So it's the sides you are having trouble with rather than the top?

Variation on the board sliding along the hedge top should work.
Trimmer mounted on front of board with blade at 90 degrees to the
flat side of board cutting edge forward. Push board along top of
hedge making sure the leading (cutting) corner is where you want it
to be and the trailing corner is following the fresh cut edge. A
decent length board, say 5' long, will keep itself straight.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Answer to the straight cut pruning method - for the second time! Martin Gardening 14 02-09-2004 10:52 AM
Answer to the straight cut pruning method - for the second time! Martin United Kingdom 14 02-09-2004 10:52 AM
Answer to the straight cut pruning method - for the second time! Martin Roses 6 25-08-2004 03:21 PM
Straight cut pruning Martin Gardening 0 21-08-2004 10:45 AM
Straight cut pruning Martin United Kingdom 0 21-08-2004 10:45 AM