Old 30-07-2013, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moth grub on peas

I was shelling peas this morning and have noticed a very large number, more
than any other year. About 50% have the moth.
I won't be saving seed this year.
How can I prevent it next year?

Thanks.
Baz
Old 30-07-2013, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:
I was shelling peas this morning and have noticed a very large number, more
than any other year. About 50% have the moth.

Odd, I've only had one or two so far, but had way more previously. Although
I haven't had my main crop yet.

I won't be saving seed this year.

I'll probably be shouted at for this, but I've found saving the seed when it
has minor pea moth (or broad bean weevily thing) damage still grow fine the
next year. i am /assuming/ I am not saving up the eggs of the pest for the
next year, but prepared to be corrected.
Old 30-07-2013, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

I was shelling peas this morning and have noticed a very large number, more
than any other year. About 50% have the moth.
I won't be saving seed this year.
How can I prevent it next year?

No worse than normal here Baz, we only grow Early Onward so it's usually
flowering before the moth has woken up but we do get some damage. Our peas
are now finished and in the freezer with the dead plants on the compost
heap.
I don't think there are any chemicals left available for the amateur
gardener to cure this problem as I friend was moaning about it being taken
off the shelf just the other day.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-07-2013, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
I was shelling peas this morning and have noticed a very large number, more
than any other year. About 50% have the moth.
I won't be saving seed this year.
How can I prevent it next year?

I sowed Early Onward last autumn under a tunnel. Masses of peas, not one
maggot. 4 sowings made this year produced about 50% with maggots.. Lesson
there?
--
Pete C

Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in
o.uk:

"Baz" wrote in message
I was shelling peas this morning and have noticed a very large number,
more
than any other year. About 50% have the moth.
I won't be saving seed this year.
How can I prevent it next year?

I sowed Early Onward last autumn under a tunnel. Masses of peas, not
one maggot. 4 sowings made this year produced about 50% with maggots..
Lesson there?

Yes, a very good lesson. I have no maggots, just grubs....Joking apart.
Early Onward have always been 2 or 3 to a pod, 5 max. for me. Must be me,
or me soil.

Baz