Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seaside shrub

Yesterday, we took the grandson to Blackpool Sands and on the way from
the car park, walking towards the café area, there was a very
attractive silvery grey shrub. It was about 4' tall, not flowering and
the foliage was quite 'soft', not in a new growth way but more as if
that was its habit. I'd say the leaves were probably about Fuchsia
size but the colour was distinctly silver-grey. Ray feels he's seen it
before but can't bring its name to the surface. It's obviously salt
tolerant but may be tender away from the seaside. Would anyone have
any ideas from this descriptioon?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-08-2013, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/08/2013 12:05, Sacha wrote:
Yesterday, we took the grandson to Blackpool Sands and on the way from
the car park, walking towards the café area, there was a very attractive
silvery grey shrub. It was about 4' tall, not flowering and the foliage
was quite 'soft', not in a new growth way but more as if that was its
habit. I'd say the leaves were probably about Fuchsia size but the
colour was distinctly silver-grey. Ray feels he's seen it before but
can't bring its name to the surface. It's obviously salt tolerant but
may be tender away from the seaside. Would anyone have any ideas from
this descriptioon?

Lycium? Elaeagnos?

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 02-08-2013, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/08/2013 12:05, Sacha wrote:
Yesterday, we took the grandson to Blackpool Sands and on the way from
the car park, walking towards the café area, there was a very attractive
silvery grey shrub. It was about 4' tall, not flowering and the foliage
was quite 'soft', not in a new growth way but more as if that was its
habit. I'd say the leaves were probably about Fuchsia size but the
colour was distinctly silver-grey. Ray feels he's seen it before but
can't bring its name to the surface. It's obviously salt tolerant but
may be tender away from the seaside. Would anyone have any ideas from
this descriptioon?

A few ideas come to mind: Ballota hirsuta or B. pseudodictamus;
Helichrysum petiolare, Phlomis sp., Salvia sp., or Teucrium fruticans.

Any of those work for you?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-02 13:37:17 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley said:

On 02/08/2013 12:05, Sacha wrote:
Yesterday, we took the grandson to Blackpool Sands and on the way from
the car park, walking towards the café area, there was a very attractive
silvery grey shrub. It was about 4' tall, not flowering and the foliage
was quite 'soft', not in a new growth way but more as if that was its
habit. I'd say the leaves were probably about Fuchsia size but the
colour was distinctly silver-grey. Ray feels he's seen it before but
can't bring its name to the surface. It's obviously salt tolerant but
may be tender away from the seaside. Would anyone have any ideas from
this descriptioon?

Lycium? Elaeagnos?

I don't think it's a Lycium, no berries and no thorns were on this one.
I don't know if they all have thorns? It's not an Elaeagnus or Olearia
either.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-02 13:40:48 +0100, Spider said:

On 02/08/2013 12:05, Sacha wrote:
Yesterday, we took the grandson to Blackpool Sands and on the way from
the car park, walking towards the café area, there was a very attractive
silvery grey shrub. It was about 4' tall, not flowering and the foliage
was quite 'soft', not in a new growth way but more as if that was its
habit. I'd say the leaves were probably about Fuchsia size but the
colour was distinctly silver-grey. Ray feels he's seen it before but
can't bring its name to the surface. It's obviously salt tolerant but
may be tender away from the seaside. Would anyone have any ideas from
this descriptioon?

A few ideas come to mind: Ballota hirsuta or B. pseudodictamus;
Helichrysum petiolare, Phlomis sp., Salvia sp., or Teucrium fruticans.

Any of those work for you?

The colour is very similar to the Helichrysum but it's none of those
and the leaves aren't hairy. We either have or know all the ones you
mention and it's none of those, unfortunately. But thank you!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/08/2013 17:43, Sacha wrote:
On 2013-08-02 13:40:48 +0100, Spider said:

[...]

Time to get a camera or a smartphone :-)
Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Yesterday, we took the grandson to Blackpool Sands and on the way from the
car park, walking towards the café area, there was a very attractive
silvery grey shrub. It was about 4' tall, not flowering and the foliage was
quite 'soft', not in a new growth way but more as if that was its habit.
I'd say the leaves were probably about Fuchsia size but the colour was
distinctly silver-grey. Ray feels he's seen it before but can't bring its
name to the surface. It's obviously salt tolerant but may be tender away
from the seaside. Would anyone have any ideas from this descriptioon?

One of the Caryopteris hybrids? There are some with silver leaves.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-02 13:40:48 +0100, Spider said:

[...]

The really, really irritating thing is that I had the camera with me in
my basket! I was so busy shepherding the small one on and off the
beach, avoiding people on the pavement, cars driving in or out and
wasps, that I never even thought of it. If we go back in that
direction, I'll certainly take a photo. In the meantime, I've emailed
them asking if they can tell me what it is. As Blackpool Sands is owned
by someone who has a plantsman's garden right behind the Sands and
occasionally open to the public, I may be lucky. It will probably turn
out to be something really well known and we'll hang our heads!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-08-2013, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-02 18:55:03 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

Yesterday, we took the grandson to Blackpool Sands and on the way from
the car park, walking towards the café area, there was a very
attractive silvery grey shrub. It was about 4' tall, not flowering and
the foliage was quite 'soft', not in a new growth way but more as if
that was its habit. I'd say the leaves were probably about Fuchsia size
but the colour was distinctly silver-grey. Ray feels he's seen it
before but can't bring its name to the surface. It's obviously salt
tolerant but may be tender away from the seaside. Would anyone have
any ideas from this descriptioon?

One of the Caryopteris hybrids? There are some with silver leaves.

I don't recall toothed leaves on the one we saw. Afair, they were
smooth in texture and edges.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-08-2013, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 12:05:44 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Yesterday, we took the grandson to Blackpool Sands and on the way from
the car park, walking towards the café area, there was a very
attractive silvery grey shrub. It was about 4' tall, not flowering and
the foliage was quite 'soft', not in a new growth way but more as if
that was its habit. I'd say the leaves were probably about Fuchsia
size but the colour was distinctly silver-grey. Ray feels he's seen it
before but can't bring its name to the surface. It's obviously salt
tolerant but may be tender away from the seaside. Would anyone have
any ideas from this descriptioon?

I take it that it is not Senecio (Brachyglottis?) greyi - the leaves
are probably too big and not soft enough and ours are still flowering,
but it would fit with the salt tolerance - we have grown it less than
50 metres from a beach.
--
rbel

Old 02-08-2013, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote t...

Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

Yesterday, we took the grandson to Blackpool Sands and on the way from
the car park, walking towards the café area, there was a very attractive
silvery grey shrub. It was about 4' tall, not flowering and the foliage
was quite 'soft', not in a new growth way but more as if that was its
habit. I'd say the leaves were probably about Fuchsia size but the
colour was distinctly silver-grey. Ray feels he's seen it before but
can't bring its name to the surface. It's obviously salt tolerant but
may be tender away from the seaside. Would anyone have any ideas from
this descriptioon?

One of the Caryopteris hybrids? There are some with silver leaves.

I don't recall toothed leaves on the one we saw. Afair, they were smooth in
texture and edges.

Then how about Atriplex, the Saltbush as the Americans call it. Huge genus
with shrubs included some of which like salty soils.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-02 22:56:33 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote t...

Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

[...]

YES! I've just suggested that to Ray who clicked immediately. Which
particular one, heaven knows but that's it. Apparently, we have - or
had - a darker leaf form but must now look for this one. It's lovely.
Thank you so much, Bob, it's so satisfying when these things fall into
place. And very many thanks to everyone else who has tried to help us,
too.
--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 02-08-2013, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-02 22:49:24 +0100, rbel said:

[...]

No, Bob has it right as Atriplex though I can certainly see what you're
getting at. There were no flowers or berries at all on the Atriplex
that we saw. I knew we should have pinched cuttings... ;-) (Joke!)
--

Sacha
South Devon