Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT how much USA peeps are different

I have subscribe to "rec.food.cooking", as I think several people who
post here are. It makes you realise what a difference there is between
us and them, foreign in all but language and that differs more as time
passes by. do other here agree, or am I wrong?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-03 10:50:38 +0000, Broadback said:

I have subscribe to "rec.food.cooking", as I think several people who
post here are. It makes you realise what a difference there is between
us and them, foreign in all but language and that differs more as time
passes by. do other here agree, or am I wrong?

A few well-travelled Americans have commented to me that a lot of their
compatriots are very insular in their outlook and really do not
understand others' way of life, choices, or reasons for doing things
different to the USA. Comparatively few Americans have passports. But
when you think of the size of their country, they can do everything
there except enjoy the culture of others. And if they're not
interested in that, why go outside America? Quite recently, I used the
word 'tap' (as in water) to an American who didn't know what I meant.
I'd forgotten that in USA it's a faucet.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-03 10:50:38 +0000, Broadback said:

I have subscribe to "rec.food.cooking", as I think several people who
post here are. It makes you realise what a difference there is between
us and them, foreign in all but language and that differs more as time
passes by. do other here agree, or am I wrong?

A few well-travelled Americans have commented to me that a lot of their
compatriots are very insular in their outlook and really do not
understand others' way of life, choices, or reasons for doing things
different to the USA. Comparatively few Americans have passports. But
when you think of the size of their country, they can do everything
there except enjoy the culture of others. And if they're not
interested in that, why go outside America? Quite recently, I used the
word 'tap' (as in water) to an American who didn't know what I meant.
I'd forgotten that in USA it's a faucet.

I think it's where you go in the USA, or where the person you are talking
to comes from.
As you know there are Irish, Italian, Chinese, English etc. in the USA.
As you say, sacha, why go to these countries when their cultures are on
your doorstep. Who needs a passport other than a tourist who has an urge
and plenty of money to do it?
I read somewhere, recently, that by year 2135 we will all be the same
colour(or is it color) due to the inter-breeding of our race over this
short period.
The colloquial laguage will always remain, Seemingly.

Baz
Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 8/3/2013 7:03 AM, sacha wrote:

A few well-travelled Americans have commented to me that a lot of their
compatriots are very insular in their outlook and really do not
understand others' way of life, choices, or reasons for doing things
different to the USA. Comparatively few Americans have passports. But
when you think of the size of their country, they can do everything
there except enjoy the culture of others. And if they're not interested
in that, why go outside America? Quite recently, I used the word 'tap'
(as in water) to an American who didn't know what I meant. I'd forgotten
that in USA it's a faucet.

Yes, a tap is generally called a faucet - but what comes out of it is
tap-water...
Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-03 10:50:38 +0000, Broadback said:

I have subscribe to "rec.food.cooking", as I think several people who post here are. It makes you realise what a difference there is between us and them, foreign in all but language and that differs
more as time passes by. do other here agree, or am I wrong?

A few well-travelled Americans have commented to me that a lot of their compatriots are very insular in their outlook and really do not understand others' way of life, choices, or reasons for doing
things different to the USA. Comparatively few Americans have passports. But when you think of the size of their country, they can do everything there except enjoy the culture of others. And if
they're not interested in that, why go outside America?

You will occasionally come across TV reports of "foreign
news" - where foreign means out-of-state!

Old 03-08-2013, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

I have subscribe to "rec.food.cooking", as I think several people who
post here are. It makes you realise what a difference there is between
us and them, foreign in all but language

"Two countries divided by a common language" comes to mind.
I can't speak for any Americans (misleading in itself; America is a lot
more than the U.S.) but myself...the scale of things here is mind-boggling:
It's a 2-3 day drive from my home to a garden convention I attend in
northern Iowa, and that's less than half-way across the country. I could
have reached most of Europe from any country there in less time.... and
there's less need for second (+) languages, though Spanish is
up-and-coming. Since most of us are immigrants, you can find any ethnic
group/food/etc in any biggish city. A local beer brewer once ran a
commercial touting the size/makeup of New York City:

More Poles than Cracow.
More Jews than Tel Aviv.

I forget the rest.

Because of all that, many of us are pretty insular....my own international
travel was financed by the U.S. navy, and involved mostly great swaths of
the Pacific, where I learned (In Hong Kong) that when Aussies have a few
beers in them, they really do sing "Waltzing Matilda."

Old 03-08-2013, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote .

I have subscribe to "rec.food.cooking", as I think several people who post
here are. It makes you realise what a difference there is between us and
them, foreign in all but language and that differs more as time passes by.
do other here agree, or am I wrong?

Sue has an English born relative that was in the USAF for many years, he
made his home in the States and married a local girl. When their son went to
school the parents were called in because the son was having difficulty with
spelling and grammar etc,. However, once the "English" teacher heard the
father speak she apologised for not realising the son was speaking and
writing English.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/08/2013 13:59, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:50:38 +0100, Broadback
wrote:

Wodja mean "foreign in all but language"? I reckon Bernard Shaw had it
right when he described the UK and USA as 'two nations divided by a
common language'.

When I was in the RAF we were working hand in glove with some Americans.
One bright spark compile a USA/English dictionary.
Words like, side-walk, black top, elevator amongst others. The last one
was "jeet" this translated as "Have you yet partaken of your lunch."
This came about as the Americans supplied our lunches, come lunch time
the cook walked down the corridor, banging on the doors and shouting
"Jeet". It had us all, Americans included highly amused.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

When I was in the RAF we were working hand in glove with some Americans.
One bright spark compile a USA/English dictionary.

My dad told me an airline story: Typically, the crew radios in maintenance
issues on a company channel while in-flight, so things can be dealt with
quickly. One day, the report was "elevator jammed." Crash crews alerted,
medics on standby, the whole nine yards. They were talking about a small
dumbwaiter between decks (this was a jumbo jet). Thereafter, this device
was referred to as the "lift."

Old 03-08-2013, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-03 10:50:38 +0000, Broadback said:

[...]

Apparently, some current American forms of speech are olde Englishe and
went over with the Pilgrim Fathers!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-03 12:07:53 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 8/3/2013 7:03 AM, sacha wrote:

A few well-travelled Americans have commented to me that a lot of their
compatriots are very insular in their outlook and really do not
understand others' way of life, choices, or reasons for doing things
different to the USA. Comparatively few Americans have passports. But
when you think of the size of their country, they can do everything
there except enjoy the culture of others. And if they're not interested
in that, why go outside America? Quite recently, I used the word 'tap'
(as in water) to an American who didn't know what I meant. I'd forgotten
that in USA it's a faucet.

Yes, a tap is generally called a faucet - but what comes out of it is
tap-water...

Aaaagh!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-08-2013, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/08/13 15:48, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote .

I have subscribe to "rec.food.cooking", as I think several people who
post here are. It makes you realise what a difference there is between
us and them, foreign in all but language and that differs more as time
passes by. do other here agree, or am I wrong?

Sue has an English born relative that was in the USAF for many years, he
made his home in the States and married a local girl. When their son
went to school the parents were called in because the son was having
difficulty with spelling and grammar etc,. However, once the "English"
teacher heard the father speak she apologised for not realising the son
was speaking and writing English.

I lived and worked in Paris for 5 years in the 1950s. Once I was stopped
in the street by a young woman who said, "Excuse me. Do you speak
American?" To which I could truthfully say, "No, I'm sorry, I only speak
English." I left her staring at me in amazement.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-04 08:11:30 +0100, Martin said:

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 13:40:39 +0100, Tom Gardner

On 2013-08-03 10:50:38 +0000, Broadback said:

I have subscribe to "rec.food.cooking", as I think several people who
post here are. It makes you realise what a difference there is between
us and them, foreign in all but language and that differs
more as time passes by. do other here agree, or am I wrong?

A few well-travelled Americans have commented to me that a lot of their
compatriots are very insular in their outlook and really do not
understand others' way of life, choices, or reasons for doing
things different to the USA. Comparatively few Americans have
passports. But when you think of the size of their country, they can do
everything there except enjoy the culture of others. And if
they're not interested in that, why go outside America?

You will occasionally come across TV reports of "foreign
news" - where foreign means out-of-state!

UK TV News isn't a lot better.

But it's incomparably better than American tv news.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-03 10:50:38 +0000, Broadback said:

I have subscribe to "rec.food.cooking", as I think several people who post here are. It makes you realise what a difference there is between us and them, foreign in all but language and that differs
more as time passes by. do other here agree, or am I wrong?

A few well-travelled Americans have commented to me that a lot of their compatriots are very insular in their outlook and really do not understand others' way of life, choices, or reasons for doing
things different to the USA. Comparatively few Americans have passports. But when you think of the size of their country, they can do everything there except enjoy the culture of others. And if
they're not interested in that, why go outside America?

You will occasionally come across TV reports of "foreign
news" - where foreign means out-of-state!

UK TV News isn't a lot better.

Modulo Scottish independence, I disagree.
Here "foreign" means out of the UK.

The quality of the reporting is a different kettle of fish,
as is the (reduced) number of foreign correspondents.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/08/13 12:03, sacha wrote:
On 2013-08-03 10:50:38 +0000, Broadback said:

[...]

True.

In the UK-vs-US TV debate it is worth deeply
understanding that
- you should "be careful what you wish for:
you might get it"
- "90% of everything is crud", and we see
the best of their stuff
- usually those that think the US situation
is good haven't spent more than a day or
so watching it

But this is too far OT, so I'm backing off now.