Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Greenhouse Jungle

Finally got around to attacking the greenhouse that had turned into
a bit of a jungle. Turns out not only have we got cucamelons (which
were a bit obvious, but there are /lots/ of them), and an awful lot
more peppers than I thought (still all green), but there are 4 really
impressive aubergines under all that greenery (2 nearly normal size,
2 minis, possibly a couple more that are waiting to grow).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4749388...7634914241719/

Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Aug 2013 22:52:39 GMT, Victoria Conlan wrote:

Finally got around to attacking the greenhouse that had turned into
a bit of a jungle. Turns out not only have we got cucamelons (which
were a bit obvious, but there are /lots/ of them), and an awful lot
more peppers than I thought (still all green), but there are 4 really
impressive aubergines under all that greenery (2 nearly normal size,
2 minis, possibly a couple more that are waiting to grow).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4749388...7634914241719/

I'm green with envy!

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Victoria Conlan wrote in news:b65ftnFh922U1
@mid.individual.net:

Finally got around to attacking the greenhouse that had turned into
a bit of a jungle. Turns out not only have we got cucamelons (which
were a bit obvious, but there are /lots/ of them), and an awful lot
more peppers than I thought (still all green), but there are 4 really
impressive aubergines under all that greenery (2 nearly normal size,
2 minis, possibly a couple more that are waiting to grow).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4749388...7634914241719/

IMAG0210, is it a kiwi fruit? It looks like mine, but I have no fruit yet

Baz
Old 04-08-2013, 11:31 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria Conlan[_2_] View Post
Finally got around to attacking the greenhouse that had turned into
a bit of a jungle. Turns out not only have we got cucamelons (which
were a bit obvious, but there are /lots/ of them), and an awful lot
more peppers than I thought (still all green), but there are 4 really
impressive aubergines under all that greenery (2 nearly normal size,
2 minis, possibly a couple more that are waiting to grow).

Greenhouse Jungle - a set on Flickr

--
That looks even more of a jungle than mine!

After 6 wet cool summers, I'd finally accepted it wasn't worth even trying to grow aubergines, so I chucked the last of the seed packet into a pot - and now I have 4 tall healthy plants with flowers and embryo fruit. So what do I do next year?
__________________
Old 04-08-2013, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/08/2013 11:04, Baz wrote:
Victoria Conlan wrote in news:b65ftnFh922U1
@mid.individual.net:

Finally got around to attacking the greenhouse that had turned into
a bit of a jungle. Turns out not only have we got

(which
were a bit obvious, but there are /lots/ of them), and an awful lot
more peppers than I thought (still all green), but there are 4 really
impressive aubergines under all that greenery (2 nearly normal size,
2 minis, possibly a couple more that are waiting to grow).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4749388...7634914241719/

IMAG0210, is it a kiwi fruit? It looks like mine, but I have no fruit yet

Baz

Come on Baz,
The OP said they were cucamelons
See
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/V...nts_239190.htm

Old 04-08-2013, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

On 04/08/2013 11:04, Baz wrote:
Victoria Conlan wrote in news:b65ftnFh922U1
@mid.individual.net:

Finally got around to attacking the greenhouse that had turned into
a bit of a jungle. Turns out not only have we got

(which
were a bit obvious, but there are /lots/ of them), and an awful lot
more peppers than I thought (still all green), but there are 4
really impressive aubergines under all that greenery (2 nearly
normal size, 2 minis, possibly a couple more that are waiting to
grow).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4749388...7634914241719/

IMAG0210, is it a kiwi fruit? It looks like mine, but I have no fruit
yet

Baz

Come on Baz,
The OP said they were cucamelons
See
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/V...Wong+Homegrown
+Revolution+Seeds/Cucamelon+Plants_239190.htm

Yes, I know. I was wondering if the OP is wrong. The foliage looks exactly
like my kiwi plant.

Baz
Old 04-08-2013, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/08/2013 13:23, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

On 04/08/2013 11:04, Baz wrote:
[...]

Are you sure you have a Kiwi plant, if it has tendrils like the cucmelon
then it's not a Kiwi.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/08/2013 13:23, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

On 04/08/2013 11:04, Baz wrote:
[...]

I braved the rain to get a couple of leaves, one of Cucamelon and the
other off my Kiwi
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps461c94e1.jpg
This is just the cuc. it is a lot smaller and very papery when compared
to Kiwi which is thick, tough and almost leathery.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps0ca788eb.jpg
Old 04-08-2013, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4749388...7634914241719/

IMAG0210, is it a kiwi fruit? It looks like mine, but I have no fruit yet

Nah, that'll be the cucamelons. They're like tiny cucumbers that are
bite size (well, currently a bit smaller than bite size!)

Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:
IMAG0210, is it a kiwi fruit? It looks like mine, but I have no fruit
yet

Come on Baz,
The OP said they were cucamelons
See
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/V...Wong+Homegrown
+Revolution+Seeds/Cucamelon+Plants_239190.htm

Yes, I know. I was wondering if the OP is wrong. The foliage looks exactly
like my kiwi plant.

Looks nothing like our kiwi fruit plant's leaves! Jenny is kind of
round/oval-leaved and furry. These are more like the shape of currant
leaves, but on very thin climbers

Old 04-08-2013, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote:
That looks even more of a jungle than mine!

You should have seen it before I tied things up! :-)
I put cape gooseberries and tomatillo and inca berries in the side of
the tomato pots, and the difference between growing them in pots to
this way is astounding. I hadn't realised just how much difference
it would make. They've gone totally mad.

On the other hand, my experiment to grow cauliflowers under the tomatoes
seems to have totally failed, the've all died off. :-(

After 6 wet cool summers, I'd finally accepted it wasn't worth even
trying to grow aubergines, so I chucked the last of the seed packet into
a pot - and now I have 4 tall healthy plants with flowers and embryo
fruit. So what do I do next year?

I'm terrible for not giving up on plants. I keep on giving them a
chance even when it's obvious they're not going to get anywhere.

My aubergines and peppers always have to be bought. I grow from seed
every year, and they never fruit. Same for melons. Except my melons
died totally this year, even from plants.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

On 04/08/2013 13:23, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/V...s+Wong+Homegro
wn +Revolution+Seeds/Cucamelon+Plants_239190.htm

Yes, I know. I was wondering if the OP is wrong. The foliage looks
exactly like my kiwi plant.

Baz

I braved the rain to get a couple of leaves, one of Cucamelon and the
other off my Kiwi
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...3%20flowers/le
aves01_zps461c94e1.jpg This is just the cuc. it is a lot smaller and
very papery when compared to Kiwi which is thick, tough and almost
leathery.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...3%20flowers/le
aves02_zps0ca788eb.jpg

Thanks for that, David.
Looks like I have bought a duff kiwi and got a Cucamelon instead.
This is then, my Cucamelons second year?

Baz
Old 05-08-2013, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/08/2013 14:08, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

On 04/08/2013 13:23, Baz wrote:
David Hill wrote in
:

On 04/08/2013 11:04, Baz wrote:
[...]

Have you a picture of it Baz ?

overgrown garden / jungle , new gardener needs help! paulr United Kingdom 16 09-06-2004 05:46 PM
Jungle seeds David Hill United Kingdom 6 06-02-2004 06:18 PM
Plants from Outer Space in the Jungle Alberto Panno-Peano Plant Science 5 19-01-2004 04:14 AM
Free Jungle Vals Ghazanfar Ghori Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
Free Jungle Vals Ghazanfar Ghori Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 15-02-2003 01:56 PM