Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Early autumn

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 12:16:28 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I'd guess that a good freezer has enough insulation to make that
unnecessary.

think you only need to cover freezer in the event of a power cut

The bottles of frozen water would probably be better at keeping the
temperature down under power fail conditions.

otherwise won't you be keeping in the heat from the motor?

On all the fridges/freezers I've seen the compressor is exposed to
the air normally at the bottom back of the unit.

I like the frozen bottle on it's side trick. It would require the
freezer to have got *very* warm, a good indicator to chuck everything
all the same. It wouldn't catch the freezer only getting to say -5 C,
which may or may not be a problem anyway.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/13 13:09, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 12:16:28 +0100, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I'd guess that a good freezer has enough insulation to make that
unnecessary.

think you only need to cover freezer in the event of a power cut

The bottles of frozen water would probably be better at keeping the
temperature down under power fail conditions.

Without doubt the more mass at low temperature,
the better, and that should be the first line of
defense.

All a blanket will do is reduce the heat flow
"input" (i.e. leaking into) an unpowered freezer,
so it will merely delay the inevitable a little.

Old 06-08-2013, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 10:30:57 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 6 Aug 2013 07:57:41 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

Not to mention we had a vicious thunder storm while away -- lost
contents of fridge and big freezer, ...

How long was te power off, fridges aren't particulary critical for 24
hrs provided you open it as little as possible. Freezers should manage
[]

I don't know how long it was out exactly, but probably 4 days or more.
The freezer has a 72 hour autonomy, as we frequently have pretty long
outages in winter. Stuff in the fridge had mould growing, so the answer
is "long enough."

... phones still out over a week later ...

France Telecom not the fastest then.

That's true, but in their defence they have plenty of work just now.
Tomorrow they are meant to come with the nacelle truck.

... -- and there's lots of wood down including an elm lost.

Nice bit of fire wood for next winter. B-)

There's that. Small comfort, I'm afraid!

Overnight min 7.1 C, unless the room warms up a bit the heating will
come on this evening. Sunny intervals so it probably will just get warm
enough to keep the heating off, plenty of warmth in the sun so 20 C
outside.

Yes, it's gotten markedly colder here too, though not 7! I think we saw
12 last night.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 06-08-2013, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 06/08/2013 11:58, Martin wrote:
I'd guess that a good freezer has enough insulation to make that
unnecessary.

think you only need to cover freezer in the event of a power cut
otherwise won't you be keeping in the heat from the motor?

A good point. I doubt if it makes any difference. None of our freezers
are cold to touch.

Nor mine, it's a large Liebherr chest freezer, and very well insulated.

As Pete pointed out earlier in the thread, the worst thing is losing all
of the stuff you've already put hours into. But such is life sometimes.
To keep the bad luck streak going, a neighbour slammed into the side of
my car this morning and stove in both doors. No one hurt and no apparent
structural damage, but it will be a real PITA.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 06-08-2013, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Neighbours don't you just love them?

Yes.

When my neighbour was building his garage next to mine for his Camper Van,
we had one hell of a gust of wind and the wall which he was building 'went
through my garage roof'. My car, a BMW was in my garage.

Was it his fault?

Of course not.

Some people have a very short fuse :-(

I pity them

Have a super evening, the sun is shining here.

Mike

Old 06-08-2013, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Aug 2013 15:56:36 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

I don't know how long it was out exactly, but probably 4 days or more.

Ouch, we had 36 hrs last winter after an ice storm brought down lots
of lines and snapped a number if poles. The DNO worked hard to
restore supplies pretty quickly IMHO.

... -- and there's lots of wood down including an elm lost.

Nice bit of fire wood for next winter. B-)

There's that. Small comfort, I'm afraid!

True, mature trees are some thing to behold.

Overnight min 7.1 C, unless the room warms up a bit the heating

will
come on this evening. Sunny intervals so it probably will ...

Yes, it's gotten markedly colder here too, though not 7! I think we saw
12 last night.

Day started with quite a bit of promise but clouded up and stayed
cooler. Inside didn't warm up enough so the heating came on, first
time since July 5th, therfore Summer is over Autumn is here. Also
indicated by the females of the household turning their heaters back
on yesterday...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Nov 11 - Autumn Leaves Autumn Sky_8129.jpg John - Pa. Garden Photos 0 11-11-2007 10:10 PM
Early autumn.....? Sacha United Kingdom 7 15-07-2006 07:11 PM
Early autumn.....? Bob Hobden United Kingdom 0 14-07-2006 04:02 PM
Early autumn.....? Jane United Kingdom 5 14-07-2006 12:03 PM
Early autumn.....? shazzbat United Kingdom 0 13-07-2006 11:21 PM