GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rose Problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/207985-rose-problem.html)

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 05-08-2013 09:43 PM

Rose Problem

A friend has a problem with roses that live in large
pots outside the front door, next to a busy road.

For years they have flowered strongly, but this year a
lot of the leaves have turnedbrown and dry on the
outside, yellow in the middle, but remained green on
the central vein.

They are only very small leaves, and I did not have a
camera when I saw them. Not been able to find anything
similar by googling so far, so any one any ideas
please?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Bob Hobden 05-08-2013 11:48 PM

Rose Problem

"Roger Tonkin" wrote

A friend has a problem with roses that live in large
pots outside the front door, next to a busy road.

For years they have flowered strongly, but this year a
lot of the leaves have turnedbrown and dry on the
outside, yellow in the middle, but remained green on
the central vein.

They are only very small leaves, and I did not have a
camera when I saw them. Not been able to find anything
similar by googling so far, so any one any ideas
please?

Phytophthora? Roses are susceptible.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 06-08-2013 09:10 PM

Rose Problem

Phone call from friend this morning reveals that it is
now exhibiting Black Spot. It look as though perhaps I
saw it just before it came out on spots!

In article -
september.org, says...

Spider[_3_] 08-08-2013 03:14 PM

Rose Problem

On 05/08/2013 23:48, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Roger Tonkin" wrote

A friend has a problem with roses that live in large pots outside the
front door, next to a busy road.

For years they have flowered strongly, but this year a lot of the
leaves have turnedbrown and dry on the outside, yellow in the middle,
but remained green on the central vein.

They are only very small leaves, and I did not have a camera when I
saw them. Not been able to find anything similar by googling so far,
so any one any ideas please?

Phytophthora? Roses are susceptible.

It sounds to me more like a combination of chlorosis (yellow with green
veining) and dryness at the roots (browned leaf edges).

The link below should help.

http://www.marinrose.org/chlorosis.html

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Spider[_3_] 08-08-2013 03:19 PM

Rose Problem

On 06/08/2013 21:10, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Phone call from friend this morning reveals that it is
now exhibiting Black Spot. It look as though perhaps I
saw it just before it came out on spots!

This is probably as much to do with stress as anything. I find an iron
feed helps considerably, but your friend will have to remove the spotted
leaves first (from both the plant and the compost) to remove the source
of the fungus. It may be that the plant needs completely repotting due
to exhausted compost. Treat the diseases first, then either repot in
late autumn or spring.

In -
september.org, says...