Old 06-08-2013, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pelargonium abrotanifolium

For some months now this weird plant has been growing in my greenhouse a
cross between a brassica going to seed and a pelargonium.
It has thickish strong stalks with great big bulbous bits at the joints.
It is now flowering in tiny little yellow flowers and still looks like
broccoli gone to seed only with paler fatter leaves.

I have searched everywhere to ID it but saw it last week in my friend's
garden, actually hardy though growing up against a wall and very sheltered
Not struck, in my opinion only a mother could love it, but seeing as how
some people seem to like that awful dahlia that I got by mistake I am
now carting this plant around to fob it off onto someone

NO idea where I got it but my friend claims she got hers from Sacha

Brother has taken some really good close up pictures (mainly because he
wanted to justify spending an inordinate amount of money on a new camera
and tripod which he uses mainly in athletics to win prize of the month
!) However I am still not good at posting pictures online.

Has it got any redeeming features I should know about?
--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 06-08-2013, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-06 10:22:29 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

[...]

Oxalis succulenta?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-08-2013, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-06 10:22:29 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

[...]

Just thought of Pelargonium gibbosum, though the flowers are more
greenish than yellow. And I don't think we were selling that because
we're still bulkiing it up and propagating it. Ray might have been
talked into parting with ONE, I suppose!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-08-2013, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2013 12:41, Sacha wrote:
Just thought of Pelargonium gibbosum, though the flowers are more
greenish than yellow. And I don't think we were selling that because
we're still bulkiing it up and propagating it. Ray might have been
talked into parting with ONE, I suppose!

Yes that looks even more like it!!
Thanks for ID

Couldn't make out the last bit on Sarah's label as it was getting dark
when I went over there last week.
Don't forget you were out when Sarah came to visit your nursery last
year, so no idea what the staff sold her!

Hers is doing extremely well and I must say looks better in situ against
a wall. very well fed and watered.

Mine looks just weird on it's own on the table on the patio. Would you
like it then?

I definitely didn't get it from my visit - it has yellow flowers which I
try to avoid !

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 06-08-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-06 13:07:21 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

On 06/08/2013 12:41, Sacha wrote:
Just thought of Pelargonium gibbosum, though the flowers are more
greenish than yellow. And I don't think we were selling that because
we're still bulkiing it up and propagating it. Ray might have been
talked into parting with ONE, I suppose!

Yes that looks even more like it!!
Thanks for ID

Couldn't make out the last bit on Sarah's label as it was getting dark
when I went over there last week.
Don't forget you were out when Sarah came to visit your nursery last
year, so no idea what the staff sold her!

Ah yes, I'd forgotten that. I'm puzzled because I didn't think we had
it on display but what do I know?! It's been spirited away to a tunnel
now and definitely isn't 'on show'!

Hers is doing extremely well and I must say looks better in situ
against a wall. very well fed and watered.

Mine looks just weird on it's own on the table on the patio. Would you
like it then?

I definitely didn't get it from my visit - it has yellow flowers which
I try to avoid !

But these are more *green* than yellow, Janet! ;-) Maybe she gave you
a bit from hers? I rather like it, though it's a bit unexpected in Pel
terms, I suppose. And trying to find whatever you might be describing
this morning, I learned of one with a faint celery scent to the leaf
called P. ionidiflorum and another really sweetly scented leaf called
P. radula. A celery scented leaf was a new one to me and just the other
day, I heard that there's a nutmeg scented one, too.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-08-2013, 06:08 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_2_] View Post
[...]

It's alleged to have a powerful night-time fragrance. Does yours?
__________________
Old 06-08-2013, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2013 14:57, Sacha wrote:
But these are more *green* than yellow, Janet! ;-) Maybe she gave you a
bit from hers? I rather like it, though it's a bit unexpected in Pel
terms, I suppose. And trying to find whatever you might be describing
this morning, I learned of one with a faint celery scent to the leaf
called P. ionidiflorum and another really sweetly scented leaf called P.
radula. A celery scented leaf was a new one to me and just the other
day, I heard that there's a nutmeg scented one, too.

I'll send you a photo though I have to take some of the flowers which
are indeed a bit green. It is exactly like sarah's, all i can think is
that I took cuttings for her from her garden and have taken one of this
plant by accident.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 06-08-2013, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2013 18:28, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 06/08/2013 14:57, Sacha wrote:
But these are more *green* than yellow, Janet! ;-) Maybe she gave you a
bit from hers? I rather like it, though it's a bit unexpected in Pel
terms, I suppose. And trying to find whatever you might be describing
this morning, I learned of one with a faint celery scent to the leaf
called P. ionidiflorum and another really sweetly scented leaf called P.
radula. A celery scented leaf was a new one to me and just the other
day, I heard that there's a nutmeg scented one, too.

I'll send you a photo though I have to take some of the flowers which
are indeed a bit green. It is exactly like sarah's, all i can think is
that I took cuttings for her from her garden and have taken one of this
plant by accident.

Honest Gov, it just fell of into my hand.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-06 18:08:23 +0100, kay said:

'Janet Tweedy[_2_ Wrote:
;989289']On 06/08/2013 12:41, Sacha wrote:-
[...]

Ahem! I'm not out there at night but for you....... I'll try to
remmeber to check that tomorrow! If we wake up from our snoozes on the
sofa. ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-08-2013, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-06 18:36:47 +0100, David Hill said:

On 06/08/2013 18:28, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 06/08/2013 14:57, Sacha wrote:
But these are more *green* than yellow, Janet! ;-) Maybe she gave you a
bit from hers? I rather like it, though it's a bit unexpected in Pel
terms, I suppose. And trying to find whatever you might be describing
this morning, I learned of one with a faint celery scent to the leaf
called P. ionidiflorum and another really sweetly scented leaf called P.
radula. A celery scented leaf was a new one to me and just the other
day, I heard that there's a nutmeg scented one, too.

I'll send you a photo though I have to take some of the flowers which
are indeed a bit green. It is exactly like sarah's, all i can think is
that I took cuttings for her from her garden and have taken one of this
plant by accident.

Honest Gov, it just fell of into my hand.

Greg (who I think you met) told me later today that there were one or
two or three out for sale last year, so she may indeed have found one
and that's how you've ended up with it. They're not that common, so
don't throw it away! Prop it and sell it!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2013 18:08, kay wrote:
It's alleged to have a powerful night-time fragrance. Does yours?

well it would have to have a VERY powerful night time scent to be
attractive to anyhting !

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 07-08-2013, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2013 23:01, Sacha wrote:
Ahem! I'm not out there at night but for you....... I'll try to
remmeber to check that tomorrow! If we wake up from our snoozes on the
sofa. ;-)
--

Mine doesn't seem to and i don't go to bed until 2 or 3am and it STILL
doesn't have a fragrance

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2013 18:36, David Hill wrote:
Honest Gov, it just fell of into my hand.

No actually it's all above board, i love taking cuttings, sarah had
really unsuual plants so when i house sit for her I get the job of
taking cuttings for her and starting them off. lasst year i took extra
salvuia ones for myself which she is happy with, but I must have taken
one of this weird thing as well.

Somebody must want it.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 07-08-2013, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2013 23:03, Sacha wrote:
Greg (who I think you met) told me later today that there were one or
two or three out for sale last year, so she may indeed have found one
and that's how you've ended up with it. They're not that common, so
don't throw it away! Prop it and sell it!!

No no, i would not have bought it sacha try to avoid yellow stuff i
tend to buy pink, blue etc
Never mind, if no one else wants it I'll post it to you and YOU can
propagate it.

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 07-08-2013, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-07 17:54:52 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

On 06/08/2013 23:03, Sacha wrote:
Greg (who I think you met) told me later today that there were one or
two or three out for sale last year, so she may indeed have found one
and that's how you've ended up with it. They're not that common, so
don't throw it away! Prop it and sell it!!

No no, i would not have bought it sacha try to avoid yellow stuff i
tend to buy pink, blue etc
Never mind, if no one else wants it I'll post it to you and YOU can
propagate it.

Lol! We have it, so I'll let you pass it on and with thanks. I quite
like it as a curiosity but I like greenish flowers and definitely like
yellow, so there, we diverge!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com