Old 06-08-2013, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Recycle

Some may find this of interest
http://www.reckless-gardener.co.uk/g...-in-new-scheme
Old 06-08-2013, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 17:31:00 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Some may find this of interest
http://www.reckless-gardener.co.uk/g...-in-new-scheme

Unfortunately Wales is rather thin on places to deposit old pots. When
I last checked, neither of the Cardiff or Swansea Garden Centre Group
places were participating.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 08-08-2013, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote in
:

Some may find this of interest
http://www.reckless-gardener.co.uk/g...ycle-your-old-
plastic-plant-pots-in-new-scheme

Our local council supplied us with recycle bins for plastic some years ago.
They are identical to the general refuse bins but half the size.
In our area, the garden centres have their plastic removed from them in the
same way, on a much larger scale. Skips I think. They might even sell it to
the council, who knows.

Baz
Old 08-08-2013, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

David Hill wrote in
:

Some may find this of interest
http://www.reckless-gardener.co.uk/g...ycle-your-old-
plastic-plant-pots-in-new-scheme

Our local council supplied us with recycle bins for plastic some years ago.
They are identical to the general refuse bins but half the size.
In our area, the garden centres have their plastic removed from them in the
same way, on a much larger scale. Skips I think. They might even sell it to
the council, who knows.

Our recycle wheelie bins are the same size as the landfill bins, but I
only bin plastic pots if they are broken.

Over decades I've been given hundreds of used/unwanted plastic pots
by nurseries who would otherwise chuck them and pay business rates for
rubbish disposal. I sort and store them in recycled fish boxes by the
potting tabl. Any I don't want/need I recycle to the local garden club,
or even jumble sales. A stack of clean, same size stacked pots always
finds a new home.

Janet
Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/08/2013 13:38, Janet wrote:

Over decades I've been given hundreds of used/unwanted plastic pots
by nurseries who would otherwise chuck them and pay business rates for
rubbish disposal. I sort and store them in recycled fish boxes by the
potting tabl. Any I don't want/need I recycle to the local garden club,
or even jumble sales. A stack of clean, same size stacked pots always
finds a new home.

On an almost related note - our council is generally very good on
recycling collections. However, the only thing that puzzles me is that
it refuses to take any black plastic for recycling. Even down to not
taking a whole bag of plastic because it has a single black piece
visible in it.

Does anyone know why they would be allergic to black plastic? (A lot of
my plastic plantpots are black, if anyone's looking for the (almost) on
topic link).

--
regards
andy

Old 09-08-2013, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"News" wrote
On an almost related note - our council is generally very good on
recycling collections. However, the only thing that puzzles me is
that it refuses to take any black plastic for recycling. Even down to
not taking a whole bag of plastic because it has a single black piece
visible in it.

Does anyone know why they would be allergic to black plastic? (A lot
of my plastic plantpots are black, if anyone's looking for the
(almost) on topic link).

My local council won't take plant pots of any colour. The only plastic
they do allow in our recycling bin is bottles of various sorts, e.g.
milk, detergents, shampoo or soft drinks, but no veg or fruit punnets,
yoghurt pots or margarine tubs or hard plastics.

It annoyed me to have to put so much potentially recyclable stuff into
landfill that I did once email them to complain and ask why, as I'm
perfectly willing to make sure plastic grocery containers etc go in the
right bin, as most people would be. They claimed the company they sell
the material to can't find an economic use for anything other than
bottles. This mystified me as it seems many other containers are made
from the same plastics as some of the bottles they do allow, if the
recycling triangle logos & codes are anything to go by. Not only that
but some other authorities *do* take other plastics. Why there can't be
ONE national system for goodness sake, beats me - then we'd all know
where we are.

--
Sue

Old 09-08-2013, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday 09 August 2013 13:57 Indigo wrote in uk.rec.gardening:

"News" wrote
[...]

Ours is Types 1,2 and 3 as printed on the bottom in the little recycling
triangle...

Old 09-08-2013, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 13:57:00 +0100, "Indigo"
wrote:

Why there can't be ONE national system for goodness sake, beats me - then we'd all know
where we are.

It's called "the free market". Refuse services here are outsourced.
The same contractor handles the kerbside collections and operates the
local "amenity sites" formerly known as tips. And there are a fair few
oddities:

* Flower pots can be recycled at the tip as "hard plastics" but are
kerbside landfill fodder. Strangely, those hard blue plastic bottles
that Lidl bleach comes in are kerbside recyclable as plastic even
though they are far harder than your average flower pot.
* At kerbside we have one container for cans, plastic bottles, punnets
(not black). I can put those mini greenhouses that plug plants come in
into that container as well. At the tip, cans have to go in the scrap
metal skip and mini greenhouses into the landfill one along with
plastic bottles and punnets (including black).
* Kerbside shredded paper goes in the paper container. At the tip it's
landfill.
* Cut flowers removed from vases are kerbside landfill but any other
plant material is banned unless you "rent" special bags; even in those
special bags, they check that roots of any lifted plants have been
cleaned of soil. At the tip soil (like cut flowers) is green waste.
Odd as I have more than once seen lorries disgorging the contents of
their green waste collection containers into the green waste system at
the tip.

But I wonder can those more intelligent than I interpret "Please
squash plastic bottles before retightening the lid so they take up
less space. Please remove all bottle tops before placing in the
recycling bag."

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 09-08-2013, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

But I wonder can those more intelligent than I interpret "Please
squash plastic bottles before retightening the lid so they take up
less space. Please remove all bottle tops before placing in the
recycling bag."

I remove all bottle caps, and then just tread on the plastic bottles.
top and bottom and they stay flat. they don't spring back into shape.
Same with cans of all kinds, I tread them flat.
David @ a now overcast Swansea Bay
Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watts[_2_] View Post

Ours is Types 1,2 and 3 as printed on the bottom in the little recycling
triangle...
Ours is 1, 2 4 ...

I saw a Portuguese public information film (they have 5 mins on "saving the planet" on the morning TV news show) showing chimps sorting rubbish into recycling bins, with the message "if these chimps can learn to do it in 3 mins, why can't *you* do it?" ...

.... and I started thinking of the UK equivalent "If you're in Leeds, this goes in the Green bin, in Birmingham it goes in the brown bin, in Newcastle it goes in the blue bin, and in Middlesbrough it goes in the pink box ..."
__________________

Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 20:09:41 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

But I wonder can those more intelligent than I interpret "Please
squash plastic bottles before retightening the lid so they take up
less space. Please remove all bottle tops before placing in the
recycling bag."

I remove all bottle caps, and then just tread on the plastic bottles.
top and bottom and they stay flat. they don't spring back into shape.
Same with cans of all kinds, I tread them flat.
David @ a now overcast Swansea Bay

Sort of ditto save that those 2-litre pop bottles and Cravendale milk
things bounce back after a day. When I asked, it was suggested that I
soak a bottle in boiling water before stamping on it. I didn't
calculate the carbon footprint of boiling a kettle, merely the
electricity cost to me (and it would take more than a kettleful to
properly soak a single bottle, let alone the 4 or so we get through
each week).

TBH, recycling 30 years ago, before recycling was invented, was a darn
sight easier than it is today.

And before someone suggests reusing these things, I grow my plants in
a mix of 30+ year old 3" pots and 10+ year old "professional" cell
trays (way better than the plantpack stuff in garden centres). Any
larger pots needed come from my ex-plant-purchase collection. I have
several 2-litre bottles in service for various purposes with pump type
spray things on the tops. The last anything I bought for sowing seeds
in was about 15 years ago. OK?

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 09-08-2013, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-09 20:09:41 +0100, David Hill said:

But I wonder can those more intelligent than I interpret "Please
squash plastic bottles before retightening the lid so they take up
less space. Please remove all bottle tops before placing in the
recycling bag."

I remove all bottle caps, and then just tread on the plastic bottles.
top and bottom and they stay flat. they don't spring back into shape.
Same with cans of all kinds, I tread them flat.
David @ a now overcast Swansea Bay

Our council makes a specific request that we remove plastic bottle tops
as they fly like bullets from bottles going through whatever bottles go
through!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote in news:kay.c7afb07
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

'Tim Watts[_2_ Wrote:
;989451']

Ours is Types 1,2 and 3 as printed on the bottom in the little recycling

triangle...

Ours is 1, 2 4 ...

I saw a Portuguese public information film (they have 5 mins on "saving
the planet" on the morning TV news show) showing chimps sorting rubbish
into recycling bins, with the message "if these chimps can learn to do
it in 3 mins, why can't *you* do it?" ...

... and I started thinking of the UK equivalent "If you're in Leeds,
this goes in the Green bin, in Birmingham it goes in the brown bin, in
Newcastle it goes in the blue bin, and in Middlesbrough it goes in the
pink box ..."

In this house there is only one thing that goes in the pink box.

Baz
Old 10-08-2013, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

But I wonder can those more intelligent than I interpret "Please
squash plastic bottles before retightening the lid so they take up
less space. Please remove all bottle tops before placing in the
recycling bag."

I don't think they thought that through. Or they did and got a bit
confused!

Baz
Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote
wrote:

Why there can't be ONE national system for goodness sake, beats me -
then we'd all know where we are.

It's called "the free market". [...]

Seems to be more like a free-for-all market, and a right royal
nationwide muddle into the bargain. grumble

But I wonder can those more intelligent than I interpret "Please
squash plastic bottles before retightening the lid so they take up
less space. Please remove all bottle tops before placing in the
recycling bag."

Er...

Put the right lid in,
The right lid out,
In-out, in-out
Shake it all about.
Stick it in the bag and then you turn around,
And that's what it's all about.

--
Sue