Old 06-08-2013, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default variegated elderflower?

Pottering around this evening I came across an attractive volunteer
elderflower growing in a brambly spot in the garden. I've posted some
pictures he

http://adelka.com/misc/sambucus/

Attention they are near 2 mb, so be forewarned!

Anyway I'm quite pleased and can't recall having seen one like this
before, although there are some variegated cultivars about.

Is it worth trying to propagate (if it survives the winter)?

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 06-08-2013, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2013 20:18, Emery Davis wrote:
Pottering around this evening I came across an attractive volunteer
elderflower growing in a brambly spot in the garden. I've posted some
pictures he

http://adelka.com/misc/sambucus/

Attention they are near 2 mb, so be forewarned!

Anyway I'm quite pleased and can't recall having seen one like this
before, although there are some variegated cultivars about.

Is it worth trying to propagate (if it survives the winter)?

cheers,

-E

Certainly worth trying to root it, I'd do it in a pot so you can move it
under cold glass or something for the winter.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2013 20:18, Emery Davis wrote:
Pottering around this evening I came across an attractive volunteer
elderflower growing in a brambly spot in the garden. I've posted some
pictures he

http://adelka.com/misc/sambucus/

Attention they are near 2 mb, so be forewarned!

Anyway I'm quite pleased and can't recall having seen one like this
before, although there are some variegated cultivars about.

Is it worth trying to propagate (if it survives the winter)?

cheers,

-E

This is a variegated Elder berry that I picked up in Germany many years ago.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pse60b44e9.jpg
Old 06-08-2013, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2013 20:18, Emery Davis wrote:
Pottering around this evening I came across an attractive volunteer
elderflower growing in a brambly spot in the garden. I've posted some
pictures he

http://adelka.com/misc/sambucus/

Attention they are near 2 mb, so be forewarned!

Anyway I'm quite pleased and can't recall having seen one like this
before, although there are some variegated cultivars about.

Is it worth trying to propagate (if it survives the winter)?

cheers,

-E

Not bad. I wonder how well it flowers and fruits?

Quite a few variegated elderberries listed in the RHS plantfinder. Many
at Cotswold Garden Flowers (http://www.cgf.net/shop.aspx?id=14&hid=14&ltr=S)

--

Jeff
Old 07-08-2013, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 20:33:04 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Certainly worth trying to root it, I'd do it in a pot so you can move it
under cold glass or something for the winter.

I'll give it a go, certainly in a pot. Not sure if I should wait until
next year to give it a chance to establish though; I'm guessing this is a
second year seedling, I've only seen the one stem.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 20:44:34 +0100, David Hill wrote:

This is a variegated Elder berry that I picked up in Germany many years
ago.

Thanks for that, searching found a few that had the variegated edges, but
I didn't see any that looked quite like mine. 'Pulverulenta' seems the
closest I've seen, I'd be interested to find out if there are others.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 23:13:49 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

Not bad. I wonder how well it flowers and fruits?

Time will tell, if it lives that is! Seems pretty tough, it's put on the
usual 6 ft or so of growth this year, but still a single stem.

Quite a few variegated elderberries listed in the RHS plantfinder. Many
at Cotswold Garden Flowers
(http://www.cgf.net/shop.aspx?id=14&hid=14&ltr=S)

Thanks. Most do seem to be edged rather than cut-and-speckled type. CGF
certainly has a wide selection of Elder!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 07-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
Certainly worth trying to root it, I'd do it in a pot so you can move it
under cold glass or something for the winter.
Because elder has a pithy stem, you need to do it right. Some advice here. Cuttings: hardwood / Royal Horticultural Society