Old 10-08-2013, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tom time

On 09/08/2013 23:45, kay wrote:
Bob Hobden;989422 Wrote:

I have no doubt I will have better luck offering them to the neighbours
than
I've had with the excess runner beans. :-)

The Portuguese make them into jam. Not green tomato jam, like we do with
late ones that won't ripen, but a sweet red jam made with ripe tomatoes.
I like it as long as I don't know what it is, but as soon as I realise
it's tomato something in my brain says "this is a vegetable. You don't
make jams from vegetables".

Actually Tomatoes are Fruit
Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-10 08:52:37 +0100, David Hill said:

On 09/08/2013 23:45, kay wrote:
Bob Hobden;989422 Wrote:

I have no doubt I will have better luck offering them to the neighbours
than
I've had with the excess runner beans. :-)

The Portuguese make them into jam. Not green tomato jam, like we do with
late ones that won't ripen, but a sweet red jam made with ripe tomatoes.
I like it as long as I don't know what it is, but as soon as I realise
it's tomato something in my brain says "this is a vegetable. You don't
make jams from vegetables".

Actually Tomatoes are Fruit

I thought I'd read somewhere - maybe here? - that they'd be
reclassified as veg? I prefer the fruit idea - who can resist a Love
Apple?!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-08-2013, 05:05 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
On 09/08/2013 23:45, kay wrote:
Bob Hobden;989422 Wrote:

I have no doubt I will have better luck offering them to the neighbours
than
I've had with the excess runner beans. :-)

The Portuguese make them into jam. Not green tomato jam, like we do with
late ones that won't ripen, but a sweet red jam made with ripe tomatoes.
I like it as long as I don't know what it is, but as soon as I realise
it's tomato something in my brain says "this is a vegetable. You don't
make jams from vegetables".

Actually Tomatoes are Fruit
It depends on the purpose of the classification. Botanically speaking, runner beans are fruit and rhubarb is a stem, for culinary purposes runner beans are vegetables and rhubarb is a fruit.
__________________
Old 10-08-2013, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote:
The Portuguese make them into jam. Not green tomato jam, like we do with
late ones that won't ripen, but a sweet red jam made with ripe tomatoes.
I like it as long as I don't know what it is, but as soon as I realise
it's tomato something in my brain says "this is a vegetable. You don't
make jams from vegetables".

Nick's mum makes jars and jars of green tomato jam.
And I was going to make this courgette marmalade, but didn't get time:
http://www.abelandcole.co.uk/recipes...ette-marmalade
Old 10-08-2013, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Peter & Jeanne wrote:
Hence, we lead nicely in to the fruit/veg difference topic - lol.

Our annual show led to a few discussions about definitions.

I was concerned about the 'tray of vegetables', whether I could put things like
tomato, courgette, cucumber, etc in, which are technically fruit. (I was going
to put a cucamelon in, and in hindsight I think I should have)

And a lady questioned the 'geranium' category when all the entries are actually
pelagoniums. Which I had wondered about previously

And one of the floral arrangments said "with 3 to 5 flowers". I had either 3 or
25. I had a stem of crocosmia ...
:-/

Old 10-08-2013, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
Actually Tomatoes are Fruit

I thought I'd read somewhere - maybe here? - that they'd be
reclassified as veg?

How can you reclassify it as a veg? Surely the definition comes from the fact
that the seeds grow inside it, so unless they have changed the physical form of
a tomato ...

Old 10-08-2013, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-08-10 22:14:52 +0100, Victoria Conlan said:

Sacha wrote:
Actually Tomatoes are Fruit

I thought I'd read somewhere - maybe here? - that they'd be
reclassified as veg?

How can you reclassify it as a veg? Surely the definition comes from the fact
that the seeds grow inside it, so unless they have changed the physical form of
a tomato ...

No idea. But I do know I've read that - whether ir's right or wrong or
was just an idea that hasn't been adopted, I don't know.
--

Sacha
South Devon

Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
I thought I'd read somewhere - maybe here? - that they'd be
reclassified as veg?

How can you reclassify it as a veg? Surely the definition comes from the fact
that the seeds grow inside it, so unless they have changed the physical form of
a tomato ...

strawberries are veg?

Ah, now they did this on QI, and I can't remember what the answer was. Each
individual blob of a raspberry is a fruit (or berry). Damn. Nope, can't quite
remember, sorry. But no, they're not a fruit or a veg. They're something like
a composite berrylette (ok, it wasn't this. But something kind of along those
lines)

Old 11-08-2013, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/2013 23:17, Victoria Conlan wrote:
Martin wrote:
I thought I'd read somewhere - maybe here? - that they'd be
reclassified as veg?

How can you reclassify it as a veg? Surely the definition comes from the fact
that the seeds grow inside it, so unless they have changed the physical form of
a tomato ...

strawberries are veg?

Ah, now they did this on QI, and I can't remember what the answer was. Each
individual blob of a raspberry is a fruit (or berry). Damn. Nope, can't quite
remember, sorry. But no, they're not a fruit or a veg. They're something like
a composite berrylette (ok, it wasn't this. But something kind of along those
lines)

Strawberries are aggregate accessory fruit according to wonkypedia.
Roughly meaning that the seeds are borne on the fleshy receptacle.

Rasps and blackberries are multiple drupelets; drupes are fleshy fruit
with an internal seed.
--
Phil Cook
Old 11-08-2013, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil Cook wrote:
Ah, now they did this on QI, and I can't remember what the answer was. Each
individual blob of a raspberry is a fruit (or berry). Damn. Nope, can't quite
remember, sorry. But no, they're not a fruit or a veg. They're something like
a composite berrylette (ok, it wasn't this. But something kind of along those
lines)

Strawberries are aggregate accessory fruit according to wonkypedia.

That'll be the one. :-)
(there was a word-space in my head, and that was the nearest I could get.
I think it wasn't a bad attempt, imho!)

Old 11-08-2013, 02:05 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter & Jeanne View Post

"kay" wrote in message ...

The Portuguese make them into jam. Not green tomato jam, like we do with
late ones that won't ripen, but a sweet red jam made with ripe tomatoes.
I like it as long as I don't know what it is, but as soon as I realise
it's tomato something in my brain says "this is a vegetable. You don't
make jams from vegetables".

Hence, we lead nicely in to the fruit/veg difference topic - lol.
Think of them as the fruit of the tomato plant - then jamming may be looked
on favourably in your brain (:-)
Have you any tips for coping with carrot jam? ;-)
Old 11-08-2013, 02:09 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

I can remember sitting down in a hotel for breakfast - 3 pots of jam on the table - tomato, pumpkin and carrot.